Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon, I am after any help anyone can give me. I have a December 2015 Discovery Sport 2.0 HSE bought from a main dealer in December 2017. It has done 51,000 miles, fully serviced.

With no warning the timing chain failed 2 months ago resulting in catastrophic engine failure and the need for a replacement engine at a cost of £10,500. JLR have offered a goodwill gesture of 50% of the cost.

I have no option but to get the engine replaced but at that mileage I do not think the JLR offer is fair and am trying to pursue it further.
I would be very interested to know if anyone has any LR literature confirming or suggesting that the timing chain should last much longer than this (the life of the engine?) and indeed that the Ingenium engine should last loner.

Equally I would like to know if there is evidence JLR know of this problem and whether anyone else has secured a better offer.

To my mind, no one in their right mind would buy a car of this cost if there was any suggestion the chain could fail WITHOUT warning leading to a repair bill over £10k, through no fault of their own, after just 51,000 miles.

Any help or advice anyone can give me would be greatly received.

Thanks.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I’m afraid I can’t answer your main point, but I do wonder if the well known “fuel dilution” issue, may have contributed to chain failure. I assume all engine components are designed to operate with a a very carefully selected lubricating oil, which, if it comes out of spec by mixing with fuel, will offer much less protection to all wearing parts within the engine!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts