Discovery Sport Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Ours serviced to JLR schedule including the 21K oil change interval which seems crazy to someone who is used to 6K or less between oil changes.
I would say this is almost certainly at the root of your problems. These engines won't last if the oil is only changed at 21k intervals, and the 2015/2016 models won't let you know if the car thinks it needs an early service via any other method than the Remote App if you have an active subscription. (JLR ought to make subscriptions free for the life of any 2015/2016 DS for this reason alone.)

There's enough evidence on this forum to be able to prove that 21k oil changes is bad, or in JLR's own words, potentially catastrophic, for the engine.

If you have never been made aware that this issue existed, or your car has never indicated that it needed more frequent servicing, then I would have thought that should increase your chances of getting JLR to cough up as you have done nothing wrong. Dealers hiding and pretending that the well known issues do not exist is not an excuse either, and should give you reason to get them to contribute too as they should have told you your car had horrific oil dilution estimates on SDD when it came into the workshop for it's 21k service.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just curious on these failed engines what the service history is. Are they 21k interval oil change engines, or have they had more frequent oil services?
Ours serviced to JLR schedule including the 21K oil change interval which seems crazy to someone who is used to 6K or less between oil changes.
I would say this is almost certainly at the root of your problems. These engines won't last if the oil is only changed at 21k intervals, and the 2015/2016 models won't let you know if the car thinks it needs an early service via any other method than the Remote App if you have an active subscription. (JLR ought to make subscriptions free for the life of any 2015/2016 DS for this reason alone.)

There's enough evidence on this forum to be able to prove that 21k oil changes is bad, or in JLR's own words, potentially catastrophic, for the engine.

If you have never been made aware that this issue existed, or your car has never indicated that it needed more frequent servicing, then I would have thought that should increase your chances of getting JLR to cough up as you have done nothing wrong. Dealers hiding and pretending that the well known issues do not exist is not an excuse either, and should give you reason to get them to contribute too as they should have told you your car had horrific oil dilution estimates on SDD when it came into the workshop for it's 21k service.
Thanks Ian, very interesting. Never been made aware and I am someone who is paranoid about oil and queried it when we first bought the car. Seems crazy (and financially counter-productive - for them) that JLR are not dealing with this more pro-actively?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Unfortunately you probably need to pour yourself a large stiff drink and read this thread where you can see the whole sorry affair play itself out ...

Service interval

From 2017 model year onwards there was a new central instrument display that showed more information including miles to next service and also oil service.

The short version is that as long as your journey types allow for the active regeneration cycle to keep your DPF from filling up, then with additional oil changes you should be ok. Those with the wrong journey types get the double pleasure of filled DPFs and oil change intervals of as little as 4k miles...

As JLR messed up the software on 2016 models, which meant they never told you it needed an early service unless you used the InControl Remote App on your phone, (and this is all covered in the thread above) this allows some owners to be completely oblivious if their dealer doesn't come clean at service time about how many 1000 miles you are over the point where the car estimates you needed to change.

In my view your dealer should have come clean, and given that you're not here complaining about constant DPF full warnings, it suggests that your journey types were good enough for active regens to do their work. So there's a good chance that with more regular oil changes your engine would not be in the state it is now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Going through the same horrible experience with my 2016 DS HSE at 70k miles. Its been in the LR Service centre for over 2 weeks now. Waiting to get a call on cost and goodwill offer. What a pain!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Going Through Same problem myself. 2017 Disco Sport, 61,000 miles regularly serviced. Timing Chain Snapped!!! How have Landrover not made this issue know to its customers. I'm horrified.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Going Through Same problem myself. 2017 Disco Sport, 61,000 miles regularly serviced. Timing Chain Snapped!!! How have Landrover not made this issue know to its customers. I'm horrified.
Braise yourself. They just billed me slightly under £12k to replace the engine and the maximum they can cover is 60%. It’s a financial burden. I tried to fight it with no result so I just took the hit. Horrible experience.

·
Registered
902 Posts
What dealer did you use?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Similar issue. 2017 HSE. Restricted performance light, followed by DPF only 5 miles later. 10 mile trip to garage to find that DPF is beyond regen. Full diagnostic showed that I need a new DPF, oil pump including return pipes, turbo seized (said he’d never seen this before), so new turbo needed. Timing chains too. £5,300 quote from an independent. Taking this up with LR and have it booked in with them in August and braced for a battle. 49k on the clock with full service history. Nightmare!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Good luck and keep us updated 👍

·
Registered
902 Posts
Even your Granny could tell you that a 2 year service interval on a diesel was bad practice, especially when the modern engines are smothered by clutter of DPF,Adblue, Active regeneration systems, EGR valves, etc……
Instead of trying to win over market share by doubling service interval, LR ought to have come clean and recommended a 6 monthly oil change. It could even have been a so simple: drain off and refill and would only take a mechanic 20 mins.

·
Registered
496 Posts
If the problem is oil dilution rather than particulate build-up, then Pedro has the right idea.
Stick a pipe down the dipstick tube and suck out the oil, refill, job done - not exactly beyond the ability of any adult. No crawling around under the car, no ramps, no sump plug to mangle.
As you are going to do a "proper" service every 20,000 miles as per the manufacturers instructions - then why would you not?

Oil Vacuum pump roughly £70 from Screwfix, but there are loads out there some cheaper some three times the price, it will take you longer to drive to Screwfix than do the quick oil change.

As the oil filter is actually looking at you on top of the engine it is very easy to change, not necessary maybe according to official sources, but I am doing mine every 10,000 miles.

Reactions: Canuk

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Just to say that this is why I would never run a modern Land Rover without a warranty. It's an expensive annual cost, but gives peace of mind. Since LR don't seem to be making many cars at the moment, more people than usual will be wondering whether to take out an extended warranty once their car is 3 years old.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just to say that this is why I would never run a modern Land Rover without a warranty. It's an expensive annual cost, but gives peace of mind. Since LR don't seem to be making many cars at the moment, more people than usual will be wondering whether to take out an extended warranty once their car is 3 years old.
A sad indictment of LR that an extended warranty is required to take the place of your normal consumer rights/expectations.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All, I know this is a forum for DiscoSport, but I found it while searching for Ingenium engine failures. I have a 2017 Evoque (sorry) with a 2.0 Ingenium that has just suffered a timing chain break and now requires a recon JLR engine. I have had the car from new under an existing service plan and have not only kept this up with the main dealer but have also had oil changes every 10 months or so as directed by the car computer, also at the same main dealer. I have it confirmed by said dealer, that there is no recommendation for the timing chain to be changed as it should last for the life of the car (only verbal). just about to find out what JLR will contribute to the £9450 bill. If this is only 20%, I will talk to their customer service people and see what gives.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All, I know this is a forum for DiscoSport, but I found it while searching for Ingenium engine failures. I have a 2017 Evoque (sorry) with a 2.0 Ingenium that has just suffered a timing chain break and now requires a recon JLR engine. I have had the car from new under an existing service plan and have not only kept this up with the main dealer but have also had oil changes every 10 months or so as directed by the car computer, also at the same main dealer. I have it confirmed by said dealer, that there is no recommendation for the timing chain to be changed as it should last for the life of the car (only verbal). just about to find out what JLR will contribute to the £9450 bill. If this is only 20%, I will talk to their customer service people and see what gives.
Forgot to add... I have done 60018 miles.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts