Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hendy Southampton has just told me, to my utter horror & surprise, that my 5 year old (I bought it new) Disco Sport needs a replacement (reconditioned) engine and turbo, and they want c£9,000 from me - after JLR agreed with them 20% off!

The initial videoed mechanic report (https://video.citnow.com/vtJrsclvfQZ) talks about likely engine faults that seem to match recurring problems with many other similar engines. So, how can a car advertised as reliable, dependable, rugged etc. be deemed 'satisfactory quality', 'fit for purpose' or 'as described' under the Consumer Rights Act 2015? Also, why should I pay so much for what looks like an engine design fault?

I can see an unwanted battle under the Small Claims Procedure coming up, so I really would like to hear from anyone with similar problems, as well as asking if anyone can point me towards an expert witness to help supply tech evidence?

Very Big Thanks
Peter ([email protected])
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,902 Posts
What's the oil dilution / oil & filter change history of the car, as that seems to be the root cause of most issues? And what's actually failed (sorry, haven't watched the video)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Dashnine
Thanks for your msg. The engineer says this in his video (which is the only 'report' Hendy have sent me since I took the car in fork a regular service on 20 April!) "I can see you've topped up the (oil) level…there is a timing chain rattle…cam shaft position…I think it's probably a jumped chain…it still runs okay…needs investigation…possible engine strip, or replacement engine, won't know until we start stripping it…I think it's probably jumped a tooth for that rattler, so it needs guides and replacement chains". As for oil filter change etc. I leave that to the regular servicing at the same garage. However, before taking it in I kept getting 'danger oil level very low' alerts, when in fact it wasn't low at all. Does that assist?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,902 Posts
Yes, I'm afraid you need to find and read the oil dilution thread, as the oil level had risen due to diesel diluting the oil, and also thinning it possibly causing the other issues.

Without chapter and verse, the Ingenium engine has an issue in transverse installations (like the DS) where the exhaust soot doesn't burn naturally so diesel is injected into the engine on the exhaust stroke to burn it off (called an Active Regeneration), but some seeps through past the piston rings into the oil, especially on failed regenerations when it the car starts again next time.

This was compounded by the car not warning of the issue, various software fixes were attempted and those corrected had free oil changes between the regular services when the car calculated it may have diluted oil. Cars not updated would have continued in ignorant bliss. You can check in Topix (Google or search on here) and check if your car has any outstanding updates.

So your main recourse is to open a case with LR Customer Services and demand a replacement engine at LR cost as it's the design issue with the exhaust system that has (most likely) caused the failure. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
PGP said:
Hi Dashnine
Thanks for your msg. The engineer says this in his video (which is the only 'report' Hendy have sent me since I took the car in fork a regular service on 20 April!) "I can see you've topped up the (oil) level…there is a timing chain rattle…cam shaft position…I think it's probably a jumped chain…it still runs okay…needs investigation…possible engine strip, or replacement engine, won't know until we start stripping it…I think it's probably jumped a tooth for that rattler, so it needs guides and replacement chains". As for oil filter change etc. I leave that to the regular servicing at the same garage. However, before taking it in I kept getting 'danger oil level very low' alerts, when in fact it wasn't low at all. Does that assist?
That doesn't sound as bad as it is being made out to be! If the engine is still running then you should be okay! The timing chain will probably need replacing and the timing setting back up, but I am unsure how they are saying you need a full engine for a car that is still running fine!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
603 Posts
The reported issues are low oil and the timing chain slipping. Neither of these are consistent with oil dilution.

Did you not notice the engine management light being on? Or the TPM light? Or notice any changes in engine noise?

So when the low oil light came on, what was the actual oil level?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,902 Posts
sandbox said:
The reported issues are low oil and the timing chain slipping. Neither of these are consistent with oil dilution.

Did you not notice the engine management light being on? Or the TPM light? Or notice any changes in engine noise?

So when the low oil light came on, what was the actual oil level?
I think SarahStreet told us a while ago the DS / Ingenium doesn't have a chronic timing chain problem, I wouldn't put money on it not being related.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to those who have kindly responded thus far. I am still urgently trying to find more similar/ identical cases, as well as an expert witness to assist when presenting my case in the small claims court.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Nornironbru
Thanks for your message. I strongly suspect there are more than just two Disco owners who have experienced the same disastrous problems with the Ingenium engine, but JLR are extremely reluctant to acknowledge this. In my case (and maybe yours?) it has cost me many £1000's and I remain very annoyed indeed at the attitude of both manufacturer and retailer. Is there anyone else out there who has suffered the same problem?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
PGP said:
Hendy Southampton has just told me, to my utter horror & surprise, that my 5 year old (I bought it new) Disco Sport needs a replacement (reconditioned) engine and turbo, and they want c£9,000 from me - after JLR agreed with them 20% off!

The initial videoed mechanic report (https://video.citnow.com/vtJrsclvfQZ) talks about likely engine faults that seem to match recurring problems with many other similar engines. So, how can a car advertised as reliable, dependable, rugged etc. be deemed 'satisfactory quality', 'fit for purpose' or 'as described' under the Consumer Rights Act 2015? Also, why should I pay so much for what looks like an engine design fault?

I can see an unwanted battle under the Small Claims Procedure coming up, so I really would like to hear from anyone with similar problems, as well as asking if anyone can point me towards an expert witness to help supply tech evidence?

Very Big Thanks
Peter ([email protected])
Looking at the video I wouldn't have much confidence in that dealer to identify the fault which could be several things such as chain / tensioner, cam sensor, variable valve timing actuator or associated bits. The car seems to have run low on oil at some stage which could affect the VVT actuator or timing chain.
I'm not convinced it has jumped a tooth and certainly shouldn't need a new engine!!!
I would take it to a good independent Land Rover garage if you have one in your area to diagnose.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top