Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all,

I just took delivery of a DS HSE.

The wing mirrors do not dip when I reverse and there is no way to set them to dip in the vehicle menus.

Having read the user manual it seems that they only dip if you added 10 way Electric Seats with Memory when ordering.

I'm pretty disappointed as i didn't realise this was the case. Every LR i have owned in the past 5 years (RR Sport HSE, RR Vogue SE and RR Evoque Dyn Lux) has had this feature. I assumed it was a standard feature. Added to that there was no way to add dipping mirrors when spec'ing the car other than knowing that 10 way seats = dipping mirrors.

Does anyone know if I can retro fit dipping mirrors? Otherwise I'll have to look at sending it back.

All / any advise welcome
Ralph

·
Registered
91 Posts
No 10 way seats = no memory = no dipping mirrors ....sorry :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is really frustrating. Its such a simple thing but makes such a difference in London.

I dont need half of the new tech that has been thrown in as standard, like Lane Departure or Auto High Beam ... but i do need to be able to park !

Anyone have any idea if can be retro fitted?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Yup, discovered this just in time. Didn't need memory seats, but definitely required the mirro dip!

I would think it can be done, but very expensive.

·
Registered
677 Posts
The Evoque loan car I had had them. Not a fan, I would prefer proper shape mirrors that give a better view of what's behind, rather than things that dip.

I've found that as a general rule, if it don't have memory seats then chances are the mirrors don't dip in reverse. Is it that big a problem that the car has to be returned? It just shows how dependent we've become on technology.

·
Registered
89 Posts
rcourtney, do you have a revering camera and rear parking sensors? Struggling to understand why dipping mirrors is such a big deal... :shock:

·
Registered
98 Posts
I well understand the confusion and disappointment experienced by some regarding the availability of the 'dip on reverse' exterior mirrors. Like others, I have had such a facility on all of my previous Land/Range Rovers and had fully expected to find them on my DS. However, whilst it is clear they are 'powerfold', when speccing my vehicle I sought confirmation from a couple of dealerships that dip on reverse was standard (at least for the HSE). I was advised that this option was not available for any DS (even with the memory seats). I queried this given that the brochure indicated that they were a 'no cost option' and that the on-line manual said that with memory seats the dip on reverse option needed to be enabled by the dealer. (Clearly, things have changed a little since as the dip on reverse (for those that have it) is now enabled from the menu).

Nevertheless, my own conclusion was that, if I ordered the 10-way memory seats, dipping mirrors could be optioned and this is what I ordered.

After several decades of diving without causing any significant damage to my wheel rims I wanted to keep it that way - particularly with 19 inch rims. I do, of course have a rear-view camera and parking sensors and whilst these provide a pretty good view of the ground BEHIND the car, they do offer any view of the side of the vehicle and how close the wheels are to the kerb (or for that matter an adjacent parked car. The seat headrests and privacy glass conspire to limited the driver's view. In my own case, dipping mirrors provide very significant assistance when reversing my DS out of my garage (where the nearside of the car is close to a wall) and down a curving driveway.

I can, of course, manually adjust the mirror before reversing but having the facility to do this automatically is very helpful. However, as I and others have reported, what is even more annoying is, notwithstanding having a DS with memory seats/mirrors, only one of the mirrors can be successfully programmed. No doubt this is a software glitch that will be rectified but it is something that you'd have thought would have been identified before release of the car. After all, if you offer programmable mirrors, the fact that they don't programme should have been readily apparent.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
LR -PHAN

You're right in that when reading the handbook for the auto dip facility it says mirrorS but when you go into the memory to select them it says mirror.
I have my car booked in on 1st May and have asked them to have a look at this, will post as to what happens.

·
Registered
98 Posts
PHILN
Thanks for your reply. I confess I hadn't noticed the subtle difference!

It surely cannot be the case that JLR intended only one of the exterior mirrors to be programmable. Indeed, I seem to recall that previously elsewhere on the forum someone posted that they could only program their nearside mirror whereas I can only do the offside, albeit that BOTH my exterior mirrors auto-dip on reverse but to different extents.

I'll be interested to hear the outcome of your investigation.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I timed it, 2.5 seconds to manually adjust a mirror to face downwards :roll:

It all sounds a bit:
"There's no CD player. My last car had one and all my Morris Dancing music and Sounds of Steam Trains collection is on CD, however will I manage ?" :shock:

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
LR - PHAN

It was me that said nearside mirror adjusts but not offside

SRDSOL

All we are trying to do is get what we paid for, not too much to ask.

·
Registered
677 Posts
There is two things going on here, the OP isn't happy because his/her car has no dipping mirrors, which LR have never advertised with the cars fitted with 8 way electric seats, no real reason to complain, they have just been caught out.

The second is those that have specifically ordered them and they are not what they should be, reason to complain.

I think the first statement is what srdsol is referring to. IMO it's not worth handing the car back, unless they were ordered and haven't been fitted.

·
Registered
118 Posts
J77 said:
There is two things going on here, the OP isn't happy because his/her car has no dipping mirrors, which LR have never advertised with the cars fitted with 8 way electric seats, no real reason to complain, they have just been caught out.

The second is those that have specifically ordered them and they are not what they should be, reason to complain.

I think the first statement is what srdsol is referring to. IMO it's not worth handing the car back, unless they were ordered and haven't been fitted.
J77 is correct in his interpretation, no offence intended to those who specifically requested the function :|

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Took the car in today and asked them to check the non dip of drivers mirror, they showed me a LR notification saying that drivers side mirror doesn't dip and the same will apply to all future models.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Off what I read from LR today I would guess the have the wiring the wrong way around, definitely said drivers side cannot be memorised but passengers can.

·
Registered
98 Posts
philn said:
Took the car in today and asked them to check the non dip of drivers mirror, they showed me a LR notification saying that drivers side mirror doesn't dip and the same will apply to all future models.
I raised this issue too with JLR Customer Services and today that gave me a similar explanation. This is ridiculous. On previous Range Rovers and my last Freelander BOTH mirrors dipped on reverse to memorised positions. I can (sort of!!) understand why they would provide the memorised dip on the passenger (ie the nearside / kerbside) side of the car since this helps you park etc and because the driver cannot simply stick their head out of the window as they can on the driver's side. However... my driver's side dips and memorises whereas the passenger side dips to the wrong position and cannot, it seems, be memorised. Accordingly, this does this not match up with what JLR have (apparently) designed into the vehicle.

Moreover, it seems to me to be a clear case of mis-selling since the brochure states (page 39 - option 030NM) "Powerfold adjustable heated exterior mirrors with memory function" - nowhere does it state that only one mirror has the memory function. I responded to Customer Services that, if their explanation is now the correct implementation of the reverse mirror memory function then I shall expect to be recompensed since my decision to spec memory seats was largely predicated on the inclusion of reverse dip memory mirrors on both sides (& particularly on the passenger side). They agreed to report this back and advise. I suggest that others so affected do the same. It seems clear to me that the most likely actual explanation is that JLR have a bug in their software that prevents both mirrors from memorising correctly and that it is easier/cheaper to simply tell us that this is intentional than fixing it. The fact that some of us have memory mirrors on the driver's side and others the passenger side is evidence that their explanation has no credibility.

A similar position to the 'mood lighting' where the implementation is wholly different from what is suggested if not written in the brochure and it is time JLR delivered to the customer what they ordered and paid for!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Given JLR is making both left and right hand drive models, which would memory dip right hand or left hand mirrors respectively, perhaps yours has been incorrectly wired as stated somewhere previously. I can't imagine it's too complicated.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts