Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spotted a difference between MY15 and MY16 in terms of weight and fuel capacity which leaves me quite stunning

2.2L Diesel (190PS) automatic with 5 seats 1775kg
2.2L Diesel (150 and 190PS) automatic with 7 seats 1863kg
2.0L Diesel (180PS) automatic with 5 seats 1785 kg
2.0L Diesel (180PS) automatic with 7 seats 1884 kg

Fuel tank
2.2L Diesel 65L
2.0L Diesel - meeting EU6 emissions 54L

So the new engine has less power, makes the car heavier and the tank is smaller.
All this to reach EU6 emissions standards (and save JLR paying licence fees) ?

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
I would have thought that JLR were buying the complete engine. Paying license fees would imply they were producing it themselves.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Chippy911 said:
I would have thought that JLR were buying the complete engine. Paying license fees would imply they were producing it themselves.
They are building it themselves... They have just spent £400m + building the new engine factory at Wolverhampton in the UK. They are no longer buying the engines from Ford (the SD4 was essentially a re-badged Ford Duratec)

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
A misunderstanding here. Of course I'm aware that the Ingenium engine is being built by JLR but "saving licence fees" applies to the "old" 2.2l engine which as you stated they were buying from Ford. Generally I don't buy and pay licence fees just one or the other.

·
Registered
741 Posts
BobbyBox said:
Chippy911 said:
They are building it themselves... They have just spent £400m + building the new engine factory at Wolverhampton in the UK. They are no longer buying the engines from Ford (the SD4 was essentially a re-badged Ford Duratec)
If we are being really picky it is a PSA HDi joint developed product between PSA (Peugeot/Citroen) and Ford when Ford still had their PAG group of companies. It is built in UK for use in Peugoet, Citroen, Ford, Mitsubishi, Mazda, Jaguar and Volvo's products :ugeek: :ugeek: ;)

·
Registered
265 Posts
We mustn't forget that whilst the new engine produces a little less bhp it produces more torque which will be more useful to this type of vehicle. The Ingenium engine is also supposed to be significantly more economical which should result in the same range from a smaller capacity fuel tank.
Tim

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
The original comments from eurofan are, indeed, confusing. Looking at the official Technical Spec. for MY2016 DS (can be downloaded from the JLR Media Centre) it states a vehicle weight for 150 and 180 PS Diesel engines as from 1775kg. Given that Ingenium is, according to JLR, up to 75kg lighter than the Ford sourced engine it makes one wonder where all the extra weight has come from and to what extent the published data is actuall correct.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The weight indications are taken from the MY16 owner's manual. There is nothing confusing about them. I was just wondering: what's the point in building an engine which is apparently more economical (that said 4,9l vs 5,7l with the 2.2) and making the car heavier ?

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Excuse my English please. It's only my mother tongue but maybe living in Germany for so long has tainted it.
By confusing I don't by any stretch of the imagination mean your comments rather the fact that they are confusing when compared to the official technical specification and press release for Ingenium.
The JLR documents and other publications don't seem to tie up and hence the use of the word confusing.
I fully agree that it is pointless making a heavier car and my question was, where has all that weight come from if the engine is 75kg lighter.
Hope my point is now clear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.