Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pity that LR didn't go one step further and include recording with the rear view cam, I presume the four-camera models (is that a MY16 feature? Yet again, something the manual says you have which you don't) doesn't record either.

So I'm looking at an after-market unit.

Blackvue I had heard good things of - but http://tinyurl.com/oorcuee does get some mixed reviews. Any one have any experience?

And given the plethora of airbags and stuff around the DS I'm wondering about getting it installed by a pro shop somewhere - anyone know of?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am also looking at installing a dashcam. I really liked the look of Blackvue until a friend purchased a 650 which failed due to overheating after a couple of weeks so now I'm looking at Road Hawk which my dealer recommended and they can fit.
If you do go Blackvue then look at their official site, http://www.blackvue.eu/Blackvue_DR650GW.php where you'll get better support and they have links to official installers

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aha - now you come to mention it RoadHawk is the brand that a mate has fitted to his rapid response veh, as he has blue lights on top. I'll dig... ta

·
Super Moderator
2,833 Posts
I've had 2 blackvue dashcams following recommendations on Disco3 but not sure I'll buy another :?

I gave 1st model to my son when I purchased newer WiFi version - his works intermittently now and my current has been replaced under warranty already due to GPS location fault :roll:

Going to look for replacement with rear video and park record shortly so any recommendations appreciated :D

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I have a Transcend DirvePro200, I have used this for over a year, the video is good, low light is good and has WiFi which i have never used. down side is there is not a rear view version to link to, you need 2 units and it has a tendency to start emergency recording if you hit a big pothole, or go round a Island to fast.
The optional mount is worth having.

I would certainly buy another if I needed to.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Moose said:
I have a Transcend DirvePro200, I have used this for over a year, the video is good, low light is good and has WiFi which i have never used.
Cheers. Cheaper, so buying two not a problem. Smaller too by the looks of things, for a more discrete look. Presumably takes USB power - does have on-board battery for when the car power is off?

·
Registered
54 Posts
At first, I had the same bad feeling that I could not record the footage from my DS surround cameras.
But eventually, I realized that the cameras that are on DS does not capture 1080p+ footage, so even if I could record it - the quality of footage would not satisfy me.
So going with an aftermarket dashcam is the only way.

I recommend you to do your research at Dash Cam Talk community that has ultimate experience with dashcams and has good presence of manufacturers and retailers.

If you have high demands, like I do, then your choice is very limited.
My key requirements were:
- High quality footage. i.e. 1080p, WDR, etc
- Good night footage. Thus high end CMOS sensor like Sony
- Parking mode. Thus unit on Capacitors (NOT on batteries)
- Heat resisted. Again, capacitors
- G-sensor.
- Discrete. Thus very small, black, etc
- Stable firmware

I had many dashcams in the past, so my requirements were growing with my bad experience. One of the dashcams (Mini 0803) I have almost literally thrown away into the window as it could not catch up with the heat on my 3 hours trip - it kept shutting down every 5 minutes and not properly saving the footage (tons of corrupted files).

I still have Panorama S in my other car that has been great - supreme quality and stability.
For my Disco, though, I have decided to go with the latest Panorama product - Panorama X1 that has been released under the brand of Street Guardian SGZC12RC. It is a remote lens dashcam that makes it the ultimate discrete solution!

I have a dual camera setup, so both front and rear is recorded.
This is how it looks on the DS

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
IronMan said:
For my Disco, though, I have decided to go with the latest Panorama product - Panorama X1 that has been released under the brand of Street Guardian SGZC12RC. It is a remote lens dashcam that makes it the ultimate discrete solution!

I have a dual camera setup, so both front and rear is recorded.
This is how it looks on the DS
Cheers.

Where is the recording done? do you need the screen bit? I just want the camera, I can pull the memory out of it if I want to look at the recordings. This camera looks nice and compact.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The main units with the screens are hidden in the glove box now. If I need to review the footage - I open the glove box and take the main unit out to review on screen or I eject the micro SDs and take them home for backups.

Battery Discharge Prevention kit is also mounted in the glove box, so that I could access it's settings.
I don't have the picture, unfortunately, but they don't use much of the glove box space. In any case, I have much more spare space for the processing unit in the glove box than I have on my windshield itself.

My power cut off is set to 12.2V that is very gentle on the battery.
I don't drive much daily - about 30-45 min on average Mon-Fri, so my battery does not get fully charged until the weekend longer trips.
When I am parked at work - the footage is covering the whole day, however, it does not last up to the next morning and my last footage normally covers some movement at 2 AM, etc when someone is returning home. Morning footage is rare as by that time the power is already cut. I may go down to 12.0V cut off at some time to have full 24h coverage.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've been doing a bit of research into these myself. There are a few good review sites.
The one I'm considering is the G1W or the G1WH which gets good reviews and is relatively cheap (but apparently care is needed when buying as there are fakes around).

A few things to consider though are your need for GPS, Parking mode, but more importantly the night recording video quality.

GPS 'could' be used against you if in the event of an accident if the footage was reviewed by the police and you were found to be speeding, especially as some forces (i.e the whole of Scotland) are now enforcing a zero tolerance policy rather than the 10% +2mph guidance. Why do you need to know the speed you were doing if you are trying to show someone else at fault?

Parking mode is also probably of almost no value unless you have it permanently wired and recording, because they are otherwise in a standby mode until a shock is sensed, at which point they need to fully power up before they can start recording. By the time they actually start to record, the event you are trying to capture will be over.

From my research none of the Dashcams are brilliant at night, but some are downright awful.
Try to pick one that is at least halfway decent for this.

·
Super Moderator
2,833 Posts
The reason I got the blackvue is it's hard wired and records constantly but only saves footage when parked if it detects movement or shock

Unfortunately reliability is poor

·
Registered
226 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
smayo said:
Parking mode is also probably of almost no value unless you have it permanently wired and recording, because they are otherwise in a standby mode until a shock is sensed, at which point they need to fully power up before they can start recording. By the time they actually start to record, the event you are trying to capture will be over.
Different vendors implement Parking mode differently. The low end cameras are losing the pre-event capture if sensor is triggered or motion has been detected. High end cameras do constant recording to the RAM and in case of sensor trigger or motion detection - the file is saved with 5-10 seconds footage prior the trigger/movement.

tangey said:
How much did all that cost, including getting it installed by the LR dealership ?
$400 ($200 x2 ) - Street Guardian SGZC12RC
$120 ($60 x2) - Samsung 128GB EVO Micro SDXC
$35 - MotoPark Multi Safer Low Voltage CUT OFF Hard Wire Power Supply BDP KIT (Battery Discharge Prevention)
$7 - 12v Car Add-a-circuit Fuse
$13 - 12V Car Cigarette Lighter Splitter
$7 - 90 Degree Micro USB Male to Micro USB Female Extension Cable (DOWN angle for front camera) (More about angle cables here)
$18 ($6 x3) - 90 Degree Micro USB Male to Female Extension cable (LEFT angle for rear camera and both units in the glove box)
$7 - Auto Door Clip Panel Trim Removal Tool
$280 (2 hours LR labor) - hardwiring power, laying usb cable from the rear window to the glove box via original cable tubes.
$25 - 3M Dual Lock VHB SJ3870 Velcro Tape fastener, 1" wide x 10 feet long (I only used a small portion, so it was an investment for future projects)
___
$912
plus tax ... $58... = $970 total. It did not look as expensive when I was purchasing piece by piece...
You don't need all the pieces and if you are handy to hardwire yourself - the project cost would be more reasonable.

But I am very happy with the results of this investments.

·
Registered
172 Posts
IronMan said:
Different vendors implement Parking mode differently. The low end cameras are losing the pre-event capture if sensor is triggered or motion has been detected. High end cameras do constant recording to the RAM and in case of sensor trigger or motion detection - the file is saved with 5-10 seconds footage prior the trigger/movement.
Yes I agree, but to acheive this, as I said, they need to be permanently powered, as none have large enough batteries.

·
Registered
197 Posts
HI
I'm in Australia and have had the Blackview cam now in and out of 3 vehicles over 3 years. Works perfectly and has never let me down. I don't have the wifi version.
I think the model number on mine is 450G or similar and I expect that e later models have been improved even further.
I have always placed it high just behind or under the rear view mirror, run the power cord around just under the front edge of the headlining and down the door seal to a power outlet.
I have always had a power outlet that turns off with the ignition. The cam can give spoken messages when starting and shutting down, this can be turned off. Other warning tones can also be silenced as well.
I will be installing this into my DS when it arrives in Dec.... what a long wait we have down under! Ordered in June, delivered in Dec.
Good luck with the cam.
Cheers David

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hello,

Finished installing the main unit of dashcam in the glove box.
Below is how it looks from the outside and inside. More here

Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Car Window

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Grille

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Fixture Automotive exterior

Hood Trunk Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.