Discovery Sport Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
timhum said:
And thank you for those inciteful observations CGtheTurd, where would we be without people like you,

Tim
Nope, you've lost me there.

Be careful thinking pano roof replacement as a general insurance claim (as opposed to 'glass' replacement) will be cheaper than paying for it yourself.

A policy of a few hundred pounds increasing by an good amount over the following few years, plus the excess will soon be in the £1000s in terms of overall cost. Depends on your current premium and circumstances and protected no claims, etc.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Dashnine said:
timhum said:
And thank you for those inciteful observations CGtheTurd, where would we be without people like you,

Tim
Nope, you've lost me there.

Be careful thinking pano roof replacement as a general insurance claim (as opposed to 'glass' replacement) will be cheaper than paying for it yourself.

A policy of a few hundred pounds increasing by an good amount over the following few years, plus the excess will soon be in the £1000s in terms of overall cost. Depends on your current premium and circumstances and protected no claims, etc.
My reply was to some obnoxious idiot who posted on here, the posts have since been deleted.
atb
Tim

·
Registered
344 Posts
Tim the obnoxious idiot's posts were removed by the forum's moderator and the "obnoxious idiot" was banned from any future involvement on this forum.

·
Administrator
2016 DS HSE Auto Gas/petrol
770 Posts
Hi

Reading other posts it seems like your car insurance is much lower than what we pay in Canada, or maybe just those with good driving records do the posting. If I have a glass breakage claim (sunroof as well) it is repaired and I pay a deductable, your excess?,, and my premiums are not raised.

Curious how much your rates go up if you place a claim for damage that obviously was not caused by owner. No exact numbers needed LOL

Sorry to see a member had to get banned because everyone on the forum seems polite and should feel safe posting.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Canuk said:
Hi

Reading other posts it seems like your car insurance is much lower than what we pay in Canada, or maybe just those with good driving records do the posting. If I have a glass breakage claim (sunroof as well) it is repaired and I pay a deductable, your excess?,, and my premiums are not raised.

Curious how much your rates go up if you place a claim for damage that obviously was not caused by owner. No exact numbers needed LOL

Sorry to see a member had to get banned because everyone on the forum seems polite and should feel safe posting.
It's so difficult to say how much insurance costs as the variables and the extras affect the cost so much. Mine has just renewed for £400/year.

If you have a claim, you would lose you 'no claim' discount unless you pay to 'protect' it, so you can have a couple of claims before losing the discount (again varies between companies.

But even if you keep your no claim discount, your overall policy cost goes up as if you've had one claim, the risk of you having another similar claim is proven - how much does it go up? Again it varies with the company, but I'd say maybe £50 / £100 on top of the £400.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Insurance increases after a claim aren't as much as you might think - yes they go up but not by the value of the claim. I had a car stolen and not recovered around 10 years ago, it was around a £6500 claim so not a massive amount and my insurance only went up by 20% £100 for a couple of years - nowhere near the claim value. My wife had a stolen car payout for £16k just over three years ago and she's now back to paying pretty much the same as before after three years of an extra £75 on what was generally a £400 policy.

I would not expect a sunroof claim at £1500 (estimated) minus any excess to be anywhere near that in increased premiums.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
ajmorr.is said:
Insurance increases after a claim aren't as much as you might think - yes they go up but not by the value of the claim. I had a car stolen and not recovered around 10 years ago, it was around a £6500 claim so not a massive amount and my insurance only went up by 20% £100 for a couple of years - nowhere near the claim value. My wife had a stolen car payout for £16k just over three years ago and she's now back to paying pretty much the same as before after three years of an extra £75 on what was generally a £400 policy.

I would not expect a sunroof claim at £1500 (estimated) minus any excess to be anywhere near that in increased premiums.
Who on earth suggested they went up by the value of the claim? Kind of defeats the point of insurance.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Dashnine said:
ajmorr.is said:

Who on earth suggested they went up by the value of the claim? Kind of defeats the point of insurance.
You, about five posts up…
"Be careful thinking pano roof replacement as a general insurance claim (as opposed to 'glass' replacement) will be cheaper than paying for it yourself.

A policy of a few hundred pounds increasing by an good amount over the following few years, plus the excess will soon be in the £1000s in terms of overall cost. Depends on your current premium and circumstances and protected no claims, etc."

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
ajmorr.is said:
Dashnine said:
ajmorr.is said:

You, about five posts up…
"Be careful thinking pano roof replacement as a general insurance claim (as opposed to 'glass' replacement) will be cheaper than paying for it yourself.

A policy of a few hundred pounds increasing by an good amount over the following few years, plus the excess will soon be in the £1000s in terms of overall cost. Depends on your current premium and circumstances and protected no claims, etc."
I knew someone's pull this up - I meant after the initial lost excess and several years of increased premiums due to your increased risk level, not in the following year!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all. I've owned a 2015 S550 for a year now. The panoramic roof cracked 5 months after I purchased it. While traveling, I heard a loud pop and just figured something hit my car even though there was nothing around me at the time. I had it replaced. I have driven the car a handful of times since January when it was repaired. The roof just cracked again. Same instance, country 2 lane road, no one around roof contractor northern virginia, a loud pop and I pulled the screen back and the roof is broken again! The dealership will not stand behind the repair and they tell me I have to file another insurance claim for a $7,000 roof. This is completely unacceptable. There is obviously a problem that's not being addressed. I see many class action lawsuits
in other states about this same issue. Has anyone else had this same issue?

·
Administrator
2016 DS HSE Auto Gas/petrol
770 Posts
Hope that S550 was a typo. It looks like the repair was not done properly after first crack. There seems to be very few reports of problems regarding the roof glass

21 - 34 of 34 Posts