Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done the sums comparing the cost of petrol with using public charging points to top up the battery in their DS PHEV?

I generally charge the 15kW battery overnight using the Pod Point charger i've had installed on the side of my garage. I have a really cheap rate (7.5p/kWh) between 00:30 and 04:30 with Octopus Energy, so it costs a little over a quid to give me around 30 miles of electric motoring.

What's not clear to me is whether it's worth my while finding a public EV charging point when i'm out and about, so I can top up the battery and avoid dipping into my petrol tank.

I can't find any published info on the fuel economy of the 1.5 litre engine in the P300e, but i'm guessing its around 30mpg (i.e. without using the battery)? Based on current petrol prices that would mean driving the same 30 miles using the engine rather than the battery would cost £8-9 in fuel.

Public charging points vary in price, but the 7kW ones in car parks near me are operated by Connected Kerb and charge 35p/kWh. So to charge the battery from flat would cost £5.25, which is still well below the equivalent using the petrol engine. And by that logic, a public charging point would need to cost over 50p/kWh before it started making sense to use the petrol in the tank instead (based on current prices of course).

This all overlooks the wider benefits of zero emissions motoring, and the generally very enjoyable electric driving experience in the DS P300e, but i'd be grateful if others on this forum could check my working and perhaps share their thoughts on charging while out and about?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have, it’s pretty easy to work out if you keep it simple, although does depend on the season. My calculations are;

Petrol Petrol & Diesel Car Journey Cost Calculator
Petrol cost = 170p / l
MPG = 30
So, 30 miles would cost £7.71 (25.7p per mile)

Electric Electric Car Journey Cost Calculator
Electricity cost = 5p per KWh at home
Efficiency in summer = 2 miles/KWh
30 miles would cost £0.75 (2.5p per mile)

Efficiency in winter = 1.5 miles/KWh
30 miles would cost £1 (3.3p per mile)

WINTER;
Public charging would need to be 38.6p per KWh to match petrol costs at 170p per litre

SUMMER;
Public charging would need to be >50p per KWh to match petrol costs at 170p per litre

·
Registered
344 Posts
Download the ZapMap App it shows all the public chargers, with loads of information like availability status, Network owner, Fast or rapid etc, cost per kWh, tethered or untethered, look out for the Free to use chargers at places like Tesco’s
if you’re going on a trip it’s especially useful as you can download the network operator’s app & load some credit for recharging at your destination in advance.
On another note and more concerning, in my area I’ve noticed how the big boys BP in this case are dominating the local charging infrastructure and with high prices per kWh (plus you also have to pay a monthly subscription of approx £7.50 to use their network !)

·
Registered
221 Posts
My wife used the mgf charger station near wigan , instead of just topping up the ipace for 10 minutes or so to drive the 90 miles home,( intheory no charge at all was required) she stayed there for over one hour and recieved a parking fine . I suspect she went to a local shoe shop.

I googled this fine and it turns out people have been fined after refuelling, car washing and vacuum, the number plate recognition cameras time you in and out and auto fine you if over a set time limit.

We have appealled on the basis that she was using the charger not simply using free parking

1 - 5 of 5 Posts