Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving along a single track road, 20 miles from anywhere, on the way to nowhere, an alarming red triangle began flashing on my petrol DS. I stopped and checked the coolant level which was a tad below minimum. I went for a walk to allow everthing to cool before adding slowly around 100ml water. The engine temperature guage remained normal throughout.
Turned around and drove home, also in the middle of nowhere, and checked the level which had remained constant. No further sign of the dreaded red triangle after the tiny top up.
We are two ferries and a three and a half hour drive from the closest landrover dealership. The car was serviced in December, ahead of schedule for convenience while we were visiting the mainland. Its a petrol, 2 years and three months old with less than 10k on the clock.
What, if anything, should I do now? Any thoughts or suggestions gratefully received.

·
Administrator
2016 DS HSE Auto Gas/petrol
770 Posts
Fill coolant to at least the minimum level and do not worry unless the light comes back on. Others may post things to panic you, but it is just something to keep an eye on. Check it every week for a month and if nothing changes you are OK. .

After one year my low coolant light came on, I topped it up with 250 ml tap water and no problems after 5 more years. No need to look for "special coolant" as the small amount will not change the freezing point or the boiling point. IN Canada we have been using "anti freeze" for 75 years or more so we know about freezing points. LOL

·
Registered
407 Posts
I too would say, nothing to worry about in the short term.
In theory you should never need to add coolant as it's a closed system but sometimes a tiny leak simply takes a long time to lower the level enough to get a warning and on the odd occasion, the residue around the leak can cause it to seal itself. Hence it's not something to get worried about unless you're adding litres every few hundred miles.
Have it checked when you get home. Ours threw a warning around June last year. I topped it up and the warning didn't return but reported it at the service in January where they found and fixed a small leak.

Reactions: Jan

·
Registered
496 Posts
Had the dreaded red triangle several times - maybe a thousand miles apart, dealer replaced the the expansion tank cap and all was well for quite a while. Had the balance shafts done, so engine out and a month or so later got the red triangle back, topped her up to maximum and haven't had any trouble for the last 30,000 miles or so.
My conclusion, topping up once to maximum may just be an airlock finding it's way out, topping up 3 or 4 times hundreds of miles apart is nothing to panic about but will not get better on its own, topping up every hundred miles or less needs seeing to as soon as possible.

Reactions: Jan

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reassuring replies..... I'll buy a bottle of coolant and top it up to maximum. Is there a special variety I should get...the cap shows orange with a tick and green with an X. I imagine this refers the coolant colour...
Cloud Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle
Cloud Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had the dreaded red triangle several times - maybe a thousand miles apart, dealer replaced the the expansion tank cap and all was well for quite a while. Had the balance shafts done, so engine out and a month or so later got the red triangle back, topped her up to maximum and haven't had any trouble for the last 30,000 miles or so.
My conclusion, topping up once to maximum may just be an airlock finding it's way out, topping up 3 or 4 times hundreds of miles apart is nothing to panic about but will not get better on its own, topping up every hundred miles or less needs seeing to as soon as possible.
Thanks for the informative and reassuring reply... much appreciated!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I too would say, nothing to worry about in the short term.
In theory you should never need to add coolant as it's a closed system but sometimes a tiny leak simply takes a long time to lower the level enough to get a warning and on the odd occasion, the residue around the leak can cause it to seal itself. Hence it's not something to get worried about unless you're adding litres every few hundred miles.
Have it checked when you get home. Ours threw a warning around June last year. I topped it up and the warning didn't return but reported it at the service in January where they found and fixed a small leak.
Thanks for the info.... w much appreciated :)

·
Registered
874 Posts
As said fill with a little just tap water and check in your weekly vehicle checks👍

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fill coolant to at least the minimum level and do not worry unless the light comes back on. Others may post things to panic you, but it is just something to keep an eye on. Check it every week for a month and if nothing changes you are OK. .

After one year my low coolant light came on, I topped it up with 250 ml tap water and no problems after 5 more years. No need to look for "special coolant" as the small amount will not change the freezing point or the boiling point. IN Canada we have been using "anti freeze" for 75 years or more so we know about freezing points. LOL
Thank you..... one less thing to fret over :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts