Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, we're in a field. Second trip off tarmac for the new old girl, first was the day after I picked her up, the playing fields in Brackley (see avatar pic). Today, up a farm track and across a field (and back down the track later playing with Hill Descent) all straight forwards enough. Then I noticed as I went to open the boot - condensation in the rear right cluster. So once the tailgate was up, I was under it trying to see if I could open an inspection port to take a look and... all the water from inside the light promptly emptied out all down my neck,

Anyone else seen water getting in? Any idea where?

Anyoen got a dry polo shirt?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Not experienced any condensation, but if its been raining, or the car has been washed, when the tail gate is opened to its max position, a whole load of water gets dumped out of the sides, and on to your head if you are not careful.

·
Registered
796 Posts
My car has gone in for this problem and a few others today ... I have narrowed it down to the 2 seals either side of the tailgate they fill with water then leak it out from each end as the tailgate is opened

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PaulTheWall said:
My car has gone in for this problem and a few others today ... I have narrowed it down to the 2 seals either side of the tailgate they fill with water then leak it out from each end as the tailgate is opened
Confirmed - just found that out as they got even more water in when I washed it. And found a trickle on the boot floor.

Washed it? More of that later. Grr.

·
Registered
193 Posts
What was the outcome of the return to the dealers, have they acknowledged a fault exists.

·
Registered
796 Posts
The dealer has my car for a week ... so no information yet but it is a bad design ... I have a manual se courtesy car with basic entertainment system the first thing I noticed was the radio always comes on at startup and also less rattles and a better ride than my car ... I can only put it down to the fact I have the lower profile 20 inch black pack wheels which also make considerably more noise because of the spoke design. .. I wouldn't select them again .

·
Registered
193 Posts
PaulTheWall said:
The dealer has my car for a week ... so no information yet but it is a bad design ... I have a manual se courtesy car with basic entertainment system the first thing I noticed was the radio always comes on at startup and also less rattles and a better ride than my car ... I can only put it down to the fact I have the lower profile 20 inch black pack wheels which also make considerably more noise because of the spoke design. .. I wouldn't select them again .
I am sure that my radio always come on at start-up, also I don't get any rattles, Squeaks etc. (HSE) so it has to be down to a selection of bad assembly lines! I agree that the 20" throw up more surface noise, but that is common with all lower profile tyres, some brands are worse than others, I had 18" with very low profile tyres on my Merc C Class, and they were worse than the 20" on the DS.
Edit; Just read your footer & now see you have a different sound system.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I will let you know how they fix the tailgate seals when I get the car back

·
Registered
7 Posts
About four weeks after receiving my DS, late April, I drove to Heathrow and back in some heavy rain up the M3. A day or so after I too noticed a lot of water/condensation in the right rearlight cluster. My dealer ordered me a new cluster, which took about 3-4 weeks to arrive. No problems since, despite the mother of all thunderstorms for 45 minutes on Friday night. I presume the dealer had a bit more time than the manufacturer and fitted it properly!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Buccaneer800 said:
About four weeks after receiving my DS, late April, I drove to Heathrow and back in some heavy rain up the M3. A day or so after I too noticed a lot of water/condensation in the right rearlight cluster. My dealer ordered me a new cluster, which took about 3-4 weeks to arrive. No problems since, despite the mother of all thunderstorms for 45 minutes on Friday night. I presume the dealer had a bit more time than the manufacturer and fitted it properly!
Hmm. My right rear cluster STOPPED showing condensation after I opened the tail and it dripped all the water out on my head. I suggest the condensation in the light is a symptom of a bad seal somewhere NOT a problem in itself. Water is getting into the tailgate.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Just picked up my car after its been in for the warranty work ... the verdict about the tailgate water was os and ns finisher trim is catching water on its brackets ... drilled holes in to bottom of bracket to allow water to drain ... tested now all ok ... one of the other problems was parcel shelf rattle .. they have fitted a new one and it's ok now

·
Registered
193 Posts
PaulTheWall said:
Just picked up my car after its been in for the warranty work ... the verdict about the tailgate water was os and ns finisher trim is catching water on its brackets ... drilled holes in to bottom of bracket to allow water to drain ... tested now all ok ... one of the other problems was parcel shelf rattle .. they have fitted a new one and it's ok now
Did your dealer service department drill the holes, or did you drill them yourself? also do you have any pics of the actual area that needs drilling.

Thanks.

·
Registered
796 Posts
The dealer did all the work .. I'm not touching anything on the car incase it voids any warranty work ... I can't see any holes as trim finishers are now fixed firmly to the sides of the tailgate

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.