Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to trade my Evoque TD4 Prestige 5drs with less than 30k miles for a new Discovery Sport HSE. To make an informed decision whether the additional space for my growing family was really worth it, I tried to analyse the differences as well as I could. A few LR dealers in NL liked it and showed this to their clients:

Attachments

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Differences in spec in the case of my swap from Evoque to Discovery Sport:

eD4 Diesel just 119gr CO2
manual instead of automaat
2WD instead of 4WD
Saving some 200kg weight (DS 5 seater with full 20" spare)
Fuel efficiency some 30% better (45mpg)
Emergency brake lights (standard DS)
Trailer stability assist and LR detachable tow bar
20" gloss black wheels 245/45/20" instead of 19"
20" gloss black 511 style spare instead of can of foam
Black pack with black aluminium roof
24,4cm longer, surprisingly 30,7cm longer floor and 253liter extra boot space. Extra 200 litres or so available if full 20" spare is left at home....
Rear seats some 2 inches higher
22,8cm(!) wider loading bay
Surprisingly RR Sport just 1,761 litres, 63 more with 2cm shorter loadspace in RR Sport!
Twin exhausts standard (TD4 Evoque just 1)
Start/stop (MY 2012 Evoque had no start/stop)
Additional USB connections
Lane Departure Warning
New and faster navigation system
Automatic High Beam Assist
LED fog lights
Rear view camera
Heated front screen
DAB+ radio
"slide & recline" rear seats; extra 6.5 inches space

"Lost" ...
Leather top dashboard of Evoque Prestige
HSE in NL has no memory on seats
Chose not to order panoramic roof since I wanted to save the weight (rather have aluminium) and didn't use it much on Evoque as it would be too bright/warm in summer and bit noisy/colder in winter

What did you trade in OTHER THAN a Freelander?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Wow, you have invested a lot of time in considering your purchase! Good work. I would love to see the same comparison between the Freelander 2 and the DS. I am trading in a 56 reg Ford Fiesta, so quite an upgrade for me!

·
Registered
562 Posts
I sold my 6 month old Porsche Macan S to buy the DS!

I'm losing a 3.0ltr V6D, double clutch gearbox and out and out luxury.

Gaining a far more useable family car to lug the dog, bikes and son to beach!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I looked at the Macan too; amazing what Porsche has done with the boring Q5 underpinnings. Engine and handling are obviously mighty. Practical the Macan is not and that was also my reason for the DS. Would not mind a combination of Macan engine/handling with DS practicality and Defender looks. Don't think the DS will be able to fit the 3.0SD V6 yet could be interesting

·
Registered
562 Posts
DS to 'soft' in the road handling department to take a 3.0ltr V6, so not required. A nice smooth, refined 4cyl turbo will do just fine, anything bigger and it would need air suspension or a much firmer setup.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[/url]http://www.rica.nl
These guys delivered amazing improvements for my 2.2 TD4 diesel. Impressive gains and 10-15% better fuel efficiency. Sub 8sec 0-60mph and massive in gear performance (equalled a BMW 630d during 60-120mph)

Attachments

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, they say that can't push torque on the 2.0 Diesel Ed4 beyond 460NM and the construction of the engine is simply so much lighter. It should however easily be able to handle 220bhp...

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Seeing the RR Evoque and LR Discovery Sport next to each other today, I have to say they did a great job of creating such different cars on the same platform. I find the Evoque worthy of the RR badge yet so is the DS a clear LR with just enough Freelander DNA and a somewhat conservative interior. I also like that the DS has a wide range of options to either look rather simple or if strong contrasting colours are chosen rather young and powerful. Just don't really like the available choice of alloys. Most of the silver ones look cheap in my view (compared to for example Audi)

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
The face lift Evoque is out later this year I wonder how much closer the fronts will look?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
View attachment 25 View attachment 25 View attachment 25 View attachment 25 Completely sold on my DS purchase now that I drove it for the first time today. Below some pictures on comparison to my current Barolo Black Evoque. Compared to the Evoque...

...I found the SD4 engine actually less noisy and specifically windnoise is very well surpressed on the motorway
...had to get used to the lack of detailing; this is not an issue but just something any Evoque owner will notice when driving a LR product. Different design language (rubber seals bottom windows, simple sideprofile of DS compared to nicely detailed front and rear
...like the interior and the space is amazing after 3yrs Evoque; feels a lot bigger than 250 litres additional space suggests!
...only bit of interior that I really find cheap is the space around the gear selector; seriously hard plastics and I expect somebody to create a matt/brushed aluminium panel for it
...ride comfort is MUCH better than Evoque; 20" wheels would certainly not be an issue (I drove HSE with 19")
...never realised the height of the grille is much lower than Evoque; seems because grille surround is always gloss black. Hence optically black pack creates a bigger grille
...bonnet DS is some 3cm higher and more aerodynamic
...9 speed auto is refined yet indeed sometimes a bit hesitant compared to my current 6 speed auto
...satnav (SD) was quick to use and finally excepts a full postcode
...standard HSE hifi is great
...can't wait to see a DS with almond interior (black is simply too moody for me)

Attachments

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Where?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looking forward to some real-world comparisons from new DS owners!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
The rear end does not look as squashed as the Evoque, much nicer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts