Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, a few complaints.

Auto seems to automatically pick some *really* stupid defaults, such as turning off the footwell air feed. Doesn't seem possible to ammend.

The screen where you choose which vents are open (front clim only - didn't pay for rear control, don't have folk back there often enough) implies you can set left and right vent choice separately. But you can't. Try as we might, we can't have cool air for my feet and no "nasty cold draft" on HER feet.

The "settings" menu is just baffling.

First option talks of "sensitivity" and has "off/low/med/hi" but it doesn't say WHAT it's being sensitive to.

Second option talks about how much "power" to use on auto. Eh? the point about Auto is I want it to be automatic!! On my D2, if you pushed the Auto button, it would return all the settings to a *sensible* default, (A/c on, all vents open) and then vary the a/c/heat/fanspeed (automatically - clue is in the name!) to achieve the target temperature. That's all i want this to do - is it too much to ask? I find on the D2 I have to NEVER touch the Auto button (or Max-AC button - also does daft things) but set the vents how I want them then control the fan speed with the knob if boost is necessary.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ah l have had a good old moan about this already, like alot of stuff on the DS, its crap, as simple as that, yes l know alot on here will disagree and say how good it is, but they must be comparing it with their sit on mower. The fact of the matter is, you should not have a setting menu with climate control. You should just turn the knob, set the temperature and hey hey, the inside should just get there. The other point with this crap system is the fact it always blows your head off, in all my other cars, and many have been Land Rovers when you pressed auto the air came out of all openings, but mainly the windscreen, as that gets to be the hottest point in the sunshine. Oh and by the way, before the person who brought their science degree off Ebay tells me l could turn the vents off, l do know, the moan is about a system that is wrong wrong and even more wrong. Climate Control was a luxury that gave you precise temperature control in your cabin in a quiet and effective manner, the system in the DS is as much use as a chocolate fire guard. l have more chance of growing tits than being able to set it right, oh and one more last thing, forget the auto button, if you just set it to windscreen, and temperature set to 19, it switches off when it gets there.....
regards
tony

·
Registered
381 Posts
It is very poor, in another thread a member said to press the Max AC button, why should I have to!!! It's climate control it should go onto max itself it required.

Set on auto and in the warm weather the fans come on max which is fair enough but stay on this speed far too long, it's embarrassing, if you have a passenger in with you there's no way you can hold a conversation.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Beast said:
I only discovered this last night, but on "Auto" you can in fact control the fan speed by turning the central knob left or right .
Nope! If you touch the knob, you've taken manual control back and it's not "auto" any more. With the Disco2, if you did that, you only de-auto'd the item you touched, not sure if that's also the case here or, indeed, if anything else is even automated.

It's 42 deg outside here, With a/c on full, the car is comfortable. And I ahve to say, I don't find it too noisy to talk. But I have to put it there by turning knbs!!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Beast said:
Well that's odd as after turning the fan down I'm pretty sure it still showed as on "Auto". I'll check next time I use it to be sure.
me too! :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
I've tried mine the auto light goes off if you change the fan speed.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I can't quite understand this thread. I am assuming you are all Apple product lovers (like me) because you're all complaining that you have a small amount of control over automated processes. You'd like to press Auto and for it just to work. The opposite are Windows users; they like having processes that they can endlessly change and amend in settings and the like. They don't like things to just work they like them to work just as they want them. They like to get 'under the hood' so to speak. In the case of the aircon LR have in my view added something that gives a small amount of control over Auto to the user, not Apple, not Windows, but somewhere in-between.

I'm not convinced the recirculation sensitivity has anything to do with the air conditioning, it's about air quality. My Volvo XC90 had it, if it senses fumes it switches to recirculation. In the DS you can adjust the sensitivity. Is that really so bad? Maybe it should be more Apple and just work.

The auto fan speed setting is surely there so you can fine tune your preference. As Apple people you'd rather not have that option, and I kinda agree, but the option is there nonetheless, for those that like a little bit of control.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No idea why you're wittering on about fruit, old bean.

FWIW, I like "auto" to be automatic. IF I want manual control, I like to have that too. But the point is, the "auto" button doesn't give you automatic, so far as I can see, it gives you "preset", which is NOT the same thing.

And "Max A/C" seems to have been deigned to give the *appearance* of more cooling effort, by blasting you in the face with cold air, but at the expense of letting the footwells heat up until your socks are subject to strategic limitation!

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
I'm a bit lost on this thread as far as I am concerned when I set it on auto and set the temperature it pumps out air to (at the moment) cool the inside of the car to set temperature. It then slows down the fan to maintain set temperature, as far as I am concerned that is auto, same as all other cars I have had.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Auto only works with the temperature set, gets to hot it increases the speed, once it reaches the temperature it decreases. It's worked that way in my 6 previous Land Rovers and works like that on my coach at work.

Also on every other car I've been in driver and passenger had to have feet, face etc rather than individual settings.

·
Registered
329 Posts
ccomley said:
And "Max A/C" seems to have been deigned to give the *appearance* of more cooling effort, by blasting you in the face with cold air, but at the expense of letting the footwells heat up until your socks are subject to strategic limitation!
It doesn't blast you in the face I'd you adjust vents to point down the car.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lofi said:
ccomley said:
It doesn't blast you in the face I'd you adjust vents to point down the car.
Yes but my point is they have set up "Max A/C" to *appear* to be doing more than it is.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Lofi said:
The auto fan speed setting is surely there so you can fine tune your preference. As Apple people you'd rather not have that option, and I kinda agree, but the option is there nonetheless, for those that like a little bit of control.
This is what we are going on about and the fact that when you press auto it just comes out of the centre vent and blows your head off, not circulated like most other climate control systems on other LR cars and other makes, by the way what the heck as apple and windows got to do with it.......
regards
tony

·
Registered
329 Posts
merctony said:
Lofi said:
This is what we are going on about and the fact that when you press auto it just comes out of the centre vent and blows your head off, not circulated like most other climate control systems on other LR cars and other makes, by the way what the heck as apple and windows got to do with it.......
regards
tony
I think I explained it pretty well, you want Apple and the last version, the one you're used to.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Too hot for a heated debate!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
KaikouraDiscoSport said:
Too hot for a heated debate!
No kidding - daytime temps over 40 here in central France and overnights in high 20s. A/c totally up to the task, just the control arrangement is annoying.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.