Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2019 Discovery Sport, landmark edition, 2L diesel.
Over the past 3/4 weeks the climate control blowers have stayed on when the car is turned off, resulting in the battery draining. It doesn’t do it every time, it’s happened 3 times so far, the only way I can get them to turn off is to pull the fuse or disconnect the battery. Additionally a few times the fans have failed to come on at all. Has anyone had similar experiences and if so what was the fix please?
The pain in this is that the warranty ran out 3 weeks prior to this first happening!!!

·
Registered
407 Posts
It needs some diagnostic.
I'm basing the following on a fix I did on an E Class Merc, but all modern fans work the same way afaik.
These usually work by having a small voltage delivered from the control computer (0-5v) to a 'resistor pack' which reads that voltage and delivers an appropriate but much higher voltage/current to the fan itself.
Not sure where that is located on the DS but often found near the fan or possibly built in. I'd trace that and see if the controls are delivering any voltage when it's supposed to be off. If not, you probably need a new resistor pack. If there is voltage, it's an issue with the controller.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Agreed it sounds like the fan controller is failing.
Not horrendously expensive unless you use a dealer, waiting until the fan doesn't come in and the engine overheats is horrendously expensive - dealer or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
UPDATE

I put it on a diagnostic machine and nothing came up, but blowers fan kept staying on when car was turned off and draining the battery. Changed the blower resister, this has fixed the problem. Land Rover wanted £315 plus VAT for the resister, I managed to get one from a breaker a lot cheaper. The part number is GH290001 for a 2019 discovery sport for reference. It’s located under the passenger footwell to the left of the pollen filter, held in by 2 torx screws. Bit fiddly to get to, but easy enough job.
Musical instrument accessory Finger Tool Font Musical instrument

·
Administrator
2016 DS HSE Auto Gas/petrol
770 Posts
Very glad you had it repaired,,,,, at a better price.

How did you determine it was the resistor causing the problem.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Wow - I thought Mercedes was ripping me off at £220!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts