Discovery Sport Forum banner
281 - 300 of 308 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
So here are my findings on the difference between Idcore and Joyeauto units.
The devices they are using absolutely identical with only one major difference - the installed software.
Since IDcore presents itself as a European company their software less buggy and always includes some important software fixes, like the one for wireless AA.

Joyeauto is an absolutely Chinese type of company with a very low level of support. Btw all units selling on Aliexpress have Joyeauto firmware installed.
And here comes the main problem.. you can't get software updates from IDcore without emailing them your order number and unit details.

In case with Joyeauto everything is a bit simpler. Just log in to their Download Support page using joyedow password and you'll get all available updates.

Here are all passwords on Joyeauto site (got them from one bmw forum:)

Download: joyedow
Installation: joyeins
Tech Support: joyetec
User Manual: joyeauto*

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, now that my DS has turned 3 years old, I'm seriously considering this upgrade. The link kindly provided by DiscoMickey now shows as 'no longer available', but there are two other, differently priced versions which seem to be the same thing:

This one, for $392 from the Fengrunze Tech Store:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002076956341.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.581b14945k7nDx&algo_pvid=null&algo_expid=null&btsid=0b0a187b16177092394736194e5e54&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

And this one for $311.35 from the CarSight Store:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000935383322.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.2.2a61159cMoDJbo

Can anyone advise whether either or both of these are the same as the versions you have installed please?

Thanks in advance.
Nick
2018 HSE

·
Registered
12 Posts
Rmutchler said:
I bit the bullet and bought one from AliExpress for Christmas, on sale for $270. I did the install on my 2017 Disco Sport SE today. It took me almost 6 hours, but the Topix documents mentioned earlier helped a ton...followed to the letter...as well as pics and guidance in this thread. Realized I didn't need to remove my touch screen as everything connects to the head unit which is behind AC controls. I took the time to run the Mic to the overhead console using the blank mic area above the SOS button...worked out perfectly. I connected the audio cables to each other in the wiring loom and then the blank audio adapter that came with kit in the Aux in center console. Dip switches I turned all off except 1 and 8...factory rear camera works perfectly. I didn't have to cut into any wiring...all plug and play. Took it for a drive tonight and it really is AWESOME. Waze works great, Sirius XM App as well. Siri reads my texts to me and takes commands fine. Wish I would have done this a year ago....very pleased so far!
Could I ask for the link to the unit you purchased please?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Brixtonian said:
Hi, now that my DS has turned 3 years old, I'm seriously considering this upgrade. The link kindly provided by DiscoMickey now shows as 'no longer available', but there are two other, differently priced versions which seem to be the same thing:

This one, for $392 from the Fengrunze Tech Store:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002076956341.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.581b14945k7nDx&algo_pvid=null&algo_expid=null&btsid=0b0a187b16177092394736194e5e54&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

And this one for $311.35 from the CarSight Store:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000935383322.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.2.2a61159cMoDJbo

Can anyone advise whether either or both of these are the same as the versions you have installed please?

Thanks in advance.
Nick
2018 HSE
I think the 'ours vs others' image on the first link is the difference between the two. I guess the more expensive one is claiming to be better made with copper wire and using one board.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all,

I'm considering this upgrade to my recently purchased MY18 (68 plate) Disco Sport and feel pretty confident in being able to complete the upgrade with all of the help, comments, included information and pictures from this thread. So first of all, thank you everyone!

I just wanted to ask two questions before going further.

1. Has anyone tried/used/had any problems with Google Maps on this system? This is my preferred navigation tool and I've not seen mention of it so far, only Waze.

2. Can anyone completely clarify what functions are lost from the steering wheel once this has been installed?
The loss of function seems to be the biggest drawback for this upgrade and I've not seen a conclusive list as to what is or isn't still functional.

Any comments or feedback would be really appreciated, thanks! o7

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've never tried the Google Maps, usually stick with Waze. However, I used it today running around town and it worked GREAT...it is now my go to. Directions was easy and accurate and I like the satellite view.so yes, Google Maps works.

As for the buttons, the volume up and down works like factory, the left and right buttons do not work on the steering wheel. Not huge, I use the touch screen to advance music.

I installed mine back in January in my MY2017 Disco Sport.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Rmutchler said:
I've never tried the Google Maps, usually stick with Waze. However, I used it today running around town and it worked GREAT...it is now my go to. Directions was easy and accurate and I like the satellite view.so yes, Google Maps works.

As for the buttons, the volume up and down works like factory, the left and right buttons do not work on the steering wheel. Not huge, I use the touch screen to advance music.

I installed mine back in January in my MY2017 Disco Sport.
Hi Rmutchler,

Thanks for the reply, great to hear Google Maps works ok.

So just to clarify, the volume works but the skip track doesn't? Does that also mean that you can't navigate the dashboard information as well? (Once you press the "i" button and then change what you see between the speedo and rev counter?
Also could you just clarify whether the cruise control buttons all work or whether anything else is impacted while driving?

Really appreciate this!
Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Rmutchler said:
All buttons work for dashboard functions and cruise control works perfectly. The only function is the music forward and back.
That's great to hear! Thanks for the info, I'll probs pull the trigger on it once I've had a look at the installation guides I can find!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the advice - can I ask for more help please?

I went ahead and bought/ fitted the CarSight interface without too much blood being spilled and no missing/ excess screws. It connects ok to my iPhone and I can see all the apps, which seem to work except that the audio stays resolutely on the factory radio whatever I do.

I connected the audio leads to each other using the lead provided, and a inserted the blanking jack plug in the Aux socket in the armrest. I checked it all again making sure all the connections were good but still no audio from CarPlay. Is this a settings thing - what am I missing?

TIA Nick

·
Registered
4 Posts
OK, feeling stupid now! I read through all the posts on this website and realised I needed to sett the source on the Landrover radio to AUX and then switch to CarPlay. All works fine now.

So while I remember the sequence was:

1. Remove all the panels as set out in the Topix document posted in this thread, remembering (a) to lift the transmission tunnel cover which is held in by 14 clips (this feels risky, but levering the back out first with a plastic tool covered with a handkerchief worked for me) and (b) that the silver side panels ping out towards the transmission tunnel, not sideways as I first assumed, nearly breaking them in the process - after removing the 2 screws of course. Study each Topix image carefully so you know exactly how many screws there are.

2. Wire up the unit referring to the JoyAuto photo posted early in this thread, connecting to the head unit. I connected up the two USB cables and just left them accessible from the side panel should I ever need them. I ran the microphone up the side of the window and over the top ready to hide next to the SOS button when I work out how to do that. For now it's just clipped to the headlining. It may well just stay there. I set the switches so that 1 and 8 are ON as I have a 2019 model and a factory reversing camera.

3. Switch all on before shoving everything back. I paired my iPhone to IDCORE and it all appeared on screen straight away. Remember to switch the Landrover Radio to AUX to pick up the CarPlay sound, and to insert the blanking jack plug. Have a play to make sure it all works.

4. Shove everything back - not easy as there's a ton more wiring now, but eventually you can jiggle the head unit back and cram the new stuff underneath it.

5. Replace all the panels in reverse order.

6. Congratulate yourself, this wasn't easy!

Hope helpful

Nick

·
Registered
2 Posts
HI Guys Noob here so be gentle!

Id thought I'd come onboard as I have just done this in a Range Rover Sport L494

Install was probably the same I bought one from Ali that didnt use the aux for sound and apparently just used all the car tech mic etc... but I couldnt get it to dispaly on the screen (although it was avaialbe via Bluetooth!)

So I went for one liek the JOYEAUTO unit but rebadged from a UK supplier just as others had said I could save a few quid on another Ali unit but, I lucked in first time with no duty so if I got stung with duty and fees next time I wouldnt be that far off the UK price and also if it doesnt work then Im in th eUK so have much more rights!

Anyway got the item and fitted it which wasnt too bad the works part was routing the mic under the steering and up the A pillar and across the top screen (I hid mine inside the Mic Box for the internal system so you cant even see it)

I also fitted a USB socket in the centre console so I could connect to the unit and make it look a bit better than just a cable end, and have also oruted the aux cable into the cubby. I have also installed an extra USB cable that links to the update port on the unit itself just incase I need to update the firmware so it will mean not having to take it all out again (the worst part being putting all the cables in behind the head unit as its pretty tight!).

All works well althogu bit annoyed that the FWD and RWD functions dont work from this unit even when I connect my IPhone via BT to the actual car settings FWD and RWD do work using Spotify but to view your library you need to look at the phone, I guess its not a major issue but seems a dumb one!

Gripes with IDCORE system - Lose Factory NAV, others i have seen the factory NAV is not lost its still there in the back ground but the Carpplay system is acitvated by a long press on the NAV button and piggy backs the chanel (a single press just uses the normal NAV) I only want the normal NAV for those just incase moment when there is no mobile signal!

If you choose to use the USB for music there doens seem to be a way to stop it and switch back to car play without a reboot! Not sure if this will really be an issue but should be addressed.

Also as it work via Aux the sound is susceptible to interference so best get a good aux cable with gold connectors (Amazon basic are pretty good for this) and also a ground look isolator again from Amazon about £10-15 and they work cuts out alternator clicking and fuzz.

On issue I do have is that and may this in only on the Range Rovers L494 and L405 it appears that the Carplay only outputs on the front half of the cars speakers the reaer doesnt seems to have output, (anyone who has this unit can test this go inot the setup menu and got to EQ and on the left there is car layout and you cans position the sound accordingly, if you put it to the rear it goes silent! which make me think the rears dont get any output!)

Ive asked IDCORE but not sure Ill get much back as they are an MFR and its the disty that needs to help but alot of them are fitters and resellers who dont really know!

Ive got rear screens in my car but another guy has the same issue and he doesnt have rear entertainment so im confused, what would be awesome for IDCORE to do as software update would be to make the unit spoof itself as an iphone so the car coudl connect to it thinking its a phone and we would connect to the Carplay for the on screen apps and then use the the car functions as normal! Thsi way it would be Bluetooth audio but the app on the screen for nav and using etc... to save using the phone.

I also installed a wireless charging pad just under the centre console so I can leave the phoen there charging and use BT etc... with no wires on show!

(Car is super tidy! My office is super messy!)

Anyway nice to me you all and interested in your comments

P

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quick update

AUX rear sound is actually fine, its the Adroid conifg unit that seems to cause the issue, if I go into the stcok car sound settings and move the balance and fader all works as it should.

Also to get the FWD and RWD skip to work when using Spofity of Carplay you can set the Iphone and I assume a Droid to use the the audio output to the buetooth to the car so you can use the carplay on the touchscreen and listen to the audio via BT, there is a down side to this though and as the sound is split out so to speak the voice playback from SIRI and the NAV program is not available as these will only be hear on AUX. Not a massive issue if you are not using them I guess.

You an still use SIRI to send an text message etc.... but you will be dictating blind. I think if they could add in a feature to the deivde via and update that allowed the Carplay unit to use Blutooth audio to the car as if it were a phone this would solve all the issues as you could use the BT audio to the car and use the FWD RWD functions but also any auido that the car play device creates such as SIRI would be hard via BT too (the only issue I see here would be SIRI talking over the music being palyed as there would be know option to puase the music unless the carplay device paused music app during vocie sessions.

By the way IDCORE are UK based and created the software, they do not supply China with this software so the models bought on AliExpress etc... are reverse engineered version of IDCORE and such will not recveived bug fixes or updates in the same way unless they add in IDCORE updates into their own version once IDCORE release them

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all,
After spending the entire day in disassbling panels Speedometer Vehicle Car Gear shift Steering part
and connecting my CarSight device neatly I found out that the sound is really low and distorted and that my OEM camera does not work well while Im in the Android home screen. Then I spent another 3 hours of testing dipswitches until I found(the hard way) that 2 and 8 should be ON for 2015 8" Harman units with the rectangular dashboard display. However the camera still flaps to Off and back to on and so on... while not in the LR screen(
). Then I spent another 2 hours reading this entire 30page thread and finally found out that I am one of the unlucky ones that have the old system and have to get Rear cam signal from a static (not pulsing) reverse light source and also cut some wires for the low sound issue (the sound in my case does not dip randomly it is just low).

To add to my struggle I started dissasembling the screen too and removed all driver side trims which then found unnecessary. I started removing the passanger side trims too untill I got blocked by the 5v USB socket in the tray abouve the glovebox, so I necer got to the passanger side display bolts.

CarSight did not provide any manual or instructions with the item. I asked them via chat and they gave me some very generic ones (1page connection schema and Carplay pairing instructions). Very disappointing. Thanks to this forum I found the disassembly instructions. To make it harder CarSight sent me one of the LVDS cables with angled connector which blocks the neighboring ports connected either way Netbook Laptop Bumper Gadget Automotive exterior
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Steering part Steering wheel
This left me with the only option to use the extension LVDS cable as a converter from angled to non-angled male connector Hand Automotive lighting Finger Adapter Electrical wiring
, which resulted in 1 hour struggle to connect the short car's LVDS cable directly to the Android unit.
Now I have to spent another day rolling everything back in order to get to the wires I need to cut and to the reverse camera sense wire (I taped everything neatly with Fabric OEM tape). Then I will have to spend another half day to get the Reverse cam cable to the booth and splice it to the Towbar connector (hopefully not to the tailgate.

I've had many retrofit projects, but this is the worst, so far... So thanks to CarSight for telling me that everything is plug and play for my car (after sending them photos and info), and thanks to not providing instructions. I guess they don't want to scare the customers when they see how hard it is.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
For anybody with the older early 2016 or 2015 sylstem as me that has pulsing camera image while on Carplay-don't thank me-just splice the orange Rear Camera signal wire from the Carplay loom Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Automotive mirror Steering wheel
to the thicker yellow +brown cable from the many that pass under the central console Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive tire
. This one goes to the towhitch grey connector in the boot near the spare tyre and has 12v on R on it Circuit component Finger Electronic engineering Electronic component Networking cables

This will save you the effort to pull a wire from the Carplay unit to the reversing light in the boot's door.

Attachments

281 - 300 of 308 Posts