Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi chaps,

After finding out that only new spec 2016 cars can now be ordered from dealers I'm considering cancelling or delaying my current order.

I wanted to know if anyone could offer any advice on how I stand? I ordered in mid Feb, build date is 17th April. I have paid £1000 deposit.

My main reason for cancelation is due to vehicle depreciation, I'm not that bothered about performance and economy. The only reason I ordered early is because the dealer told me that the new engines would not be available until 2016 and it would only be 2wd and therefore concluded any 4wd variants would definitely not be available until late 2016/17.

With this new development due to euro6 legislation I feel I have been hoodwinked and for the sake of 5 months, could be sat with a car that will depreciate rapidly as soon as the new 2016 spec is release later on in this year September . Personally if I had the choice of buying a 2year old car in 2017 either 2.2euro 5 or 2.0euro6 I would pick the later, so surely this will have a big effect on residuals!

Look forward to your comments...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
I'm in the same boat and identical time frame although build date is 24.04.

I got a great trade in price for my disco and he guaranteed the value of the trade in from mid feb to when I received the DS at the end of April or early may so if I pull out I'll loose on the trade in so it'll be robbing Peter and paying Paul as to whether I loose on the trade in or loose in devalue in 2-3 years but I'd say I'd loose more now.

My dealer is also still saying that they have no news on the ingenium engines and when they will be delivered and that it's still the 150bhp as that's what's in the face lifted evoque.

It's a bit of a mess, JLR must have been having serious issues with the Ingenium engines to launch the DS without it so maybe it's not the engine of choice until it's been testing properly in real life.

Be interesting to now what you opt to do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
The new engine has been on the cards even before the car was available in jan 2015, euro 6 came into effect Sep 2014 and manufacturers need to comply by Sep 2015.
So all info was available prior to ordering.

My understanding from out dealer is that the deposit is refundable upto the point when the dealer orders the car from LR, not sure though how much time that is before the build date. As that slot can just be given to another buyer. If you do cancel that will make someone else very happy to take your place and get thier car earlier, hope someone cancels at my dealership.
Cars depreciate so much that it makes no difference, no one complains about the finance charges. Rather buy the car cash and you won't loose as much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
562 Posts
TBH not sure there will be a huge difference in residual values. Get a PCP and you are bullet proof.

But your deposit is with the dealer and you can place that on any car you want. So if you want a igneium engine DS, switch your order to one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,159 Posts
Agreement with my dealer was if car wasn't available within 28 days of estimated delivery date I could give them 7 days notice in writing to supply the car or all money would be returned.

This was all in writing with the order details, would imagine all LR dealers would be similar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Just ask the dealer, I'm sure he'll help.
That said, if your concern is depreciation and depreciation only, as I think that's a non existent problem, I'll think twice before ordering a veicle you won't receive anytime soon.
Are you really thinking LR will magically deliver all those magnificent euro 6 cars, all of them, arross all europe, in september?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi chaps, thanks for all your comments, thought i would give you an update on how i got on with dealer.

Its took a few weeks but after much deliberation i have cancelled my order and received a full refund of my £1000 deposit. This was based on the fact i was essentially miss informed about the expected release date of the new engine ( i was told definatly not earlier than 2017 for 4WD) as this was my only concern before i ordered the car. As i was only on a 2 year deal, my plan was change when the new engine came out, however as we all now know this is going to be in Sept 2015.

My plan now is to order the new model as soon as the dealership can give me contract hire figures (its a work car).

Ironically the car i ordered did get delivered last week and was put in the showroom today, the salesman sent me a video of it, so was still a little gutted as i think car looks great. Anyway as they say patience is a virtue and i will just have to wait a little longer for the new model to arrive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way because I don't want this coming across awkward,

But if you order now how can you be guaranteed a delivery in Sept ? What happens if it slips to Oct or even Nov ? Do you then go through the rigmarole of cancelling another order because the next new thing is only 4,5 or 6 months away.

I only picked mine up on Friday afternoon and have been in a similar position to yourself.
In fact several times........ I waited for a replacement to the 300TDI Defender in the form of a TD5, and waited and waited until My dealer offered me a late registered T plate 300TDI Conty SW in Cobar Blue.

Heavily discounted I paid £13:750 for it, drove it for 6 years and sold it for £14:500
The TD5 had multiple issues and drove the price of the old one up. I'm not saying this new engine is doomed for failure but when I bought another Defender in 2008 with the transit Engine in 2.4 guise it was a nightmare and subsequently prices plummeted. I lost £10K in 12 Months. Something which rarely happens with Defenders.
So what I'm trying to say is, in an old fashioned way. I've learnt the hard way.
I saw it and liked it, the engine is tried and tested and so is the gearbox. If the new one is much better then I'll look again in 12 Months but I doubt I'll be that bothered.

I've bought a Carbon MTB and snapped X2 frames in 6 Months, Lord knows why I got rid of my Alu one ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Bigal said:
Hi chaps, thanks for all your comments, thought i would give you an update on how i got on with dealer.

Its took a few weeks but after much deliberation i have cancelled my order and received a full refund of my £1000 deposit. This was based on the fact i was essentially miss informed about the expected release date of the new engine ( i was told definatly not earlier than 2017 for 4WD) as this was my only concern before i ordered the car. As i was only on a 2 year deal, my plan was change when the new engine came out, however as we all now know this is going to be in Sept 2015.

My plan now is to order the new model as soon as the dealership can give me contract hire figures (its a work car).

Ironically the car i ordered did get delivered last week and was put in the showroom today, the salesman sent me a video of it, see link below, so was still a little gutted as i think car looks great. Anyway as they say patience is a virtue and i will just have to wait a little longer for the new model to arrive.
Why does it bother you if it`s a contract hire car?
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top