Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to leave mine at work this evening. Got in it as usual, started up but no response from elec handbrake. After several minutes fiddling and making sure I was trying to start correctly, I became aware of an electrical buring smell. Turned everything off and not attempted anything since. Disconnected battery myself with help of colleague and taxi home. LR coming out tomorrow AM. Not impressed :evil:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,770 Posts
The rear brake unti is a continental Teves unit with a motorised park brake, I am sure the DS is the first vehicle with a Conti unit on, the Evoque used a TRW unit also used in a different body by Aston, Lamborghini McLaren and others.
No help I know but a bit of background.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,272 Posts
Teves? MTBF of about half an hour then, and stupid "no, can't fix it, new one, £2000" reponse from dealer.

(Teves ABS modulator in my last car - except I found you CAN get them fixed for about £100 just don't ask the main stealer).
 
G

·
Probably not helpful but I discovered the vehicle will NOT move with a door open - handbrake stays firmly on, whatever you do. Found this out when reversing the final inch or two onto my caravan and couldn't be bothered to shut the door as I was hopping in and out. Worth a try?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,272 Posts
Does that mean it *applies* the brake or it just won't release it? I rarely apply the brake when stopped on the level, just let the transmission lock do it's job.
 
G

·
ccomley said:
Does that mean it *applies* the brake or it just won't release it? I rarely apply the brake when stopped on the level, just let the transmission lock do it's job.
It won't release it - I have a manual.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,159 Posts
Not sure if I have misunderstood but just tried on mine (auto) but can reverse and go forward with door open. Won't move if handbrake is on but can get it off.
 
G

·
philn said:
Not sure if I have misunderstood but just tried on mine (auto) but can reverse and go forward with door open. Won't move if handbrake is on but can get it off.
It must must be a feature on the manual Phil - there is a warning message on the dashboard "Front Door Open" or similar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update - looks like my brake issues are electrical. Harness appears to have been routed too close to moving parts and worn through/shorted. Will upload a couple of pics later.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,159 Posts
Beast, I get the warning and alarms but car will still move, odd that it won't on manual cars can't see what the difference is and why it shouldn't let you - another oddity.
 
G

·
philn said:
Beast, I get the warning and alarms but car will still move, odd that it won't on manual cars can't see what the difference is and why it shouldn't let you - another oddity.
Yes - I can't think of any reason why there would be a difference. It certainly foxed me for a while
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top