Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the horse trials today a few ds in the car parks (loads of other landrovers) but did see quite a few my16 ds used by officials including some 150bhp

Defiantly quieter than 2015 models I've seen and all coping no issue with some wet and slippery grass on the hills early on

·
Registered
232 Posts
Burleigh that takes me back to when I was a kid in Stanford. It must have been September 1980 or 81 when they launched the 4-door Range Rover there igniting by life-long enthusiasm for Land-River.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Blimey, I was a growing up in Stamford in the late 70's and early 80's too! Remember seeing Princess Anne fall of her horse at Burghley one year right in front me. She wasn't happy. Also loved the mid-lent fair every year. Seemed like the whole town was filled with fairground rides. Happy carefree days!

·
Registered
232 Posts
We lived there from late '79 to early '82. Bluecoat School.

I remember most seemingly endless summers at the open air pool he Model Fish Bar on Broad Street and drooling over Rover SD1s at Marshall on St Paul's Street.

We go back now and then if we are passing that way. Might be a good excuse to take the DS off on a long weekend when it arrives.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Looplumpy,

I went back a few years ago. A lot more houses on the outskirts now. I went to Sir Malcolm Sargeant's Primary and left before I took the 11 plus. My Dad got an Allegro 3 from Marshalls and they managed to crash it whilst it was in for a service! I thought it was amazing at the time and pestered him to get it in Applejack Green - it would have been hideous! Cars were terrible back then. Although SD1s looked like the future and the business as a police car. I've still got a Corgi model of one in the loft, as long as the Misses hasn't sent it off to a school jumble sale.

If you go, give my regards!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I live about 4 miles from Stamford, its grown hugely in the last 10 years, mostly in the center (old gas works ) and on the northern edge, with loads of new estates, makes it a busy place on a Saturday!

·
Registered
404 Posts
We went to Burghley in trusty Freelander 2 and saw a Firenza Red HSE DS (amongst others) cruising around the course - hope it wasn't mine. Must check the mileage when it arrives at my dealer!
Also saw same colour E-Capability 5-setaer and really don't like those wheels. Are they that much more aerodynamic?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There were quite a few corris grey as well,I quite liked the wheels, mind you just as well as that's what I am getting, they are a bit different from all the others, and less work to clean!

·
Registered
232 Posts
If they are the ones I think you are talking about, they remind me of an updated version of wheels on early MGFs.

Both cars designed by the same bloke.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.