Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

It has been a while since I bought a brand new car and was wondering if there is still a specific driving pattern one should follow to "break in" a new engine, or just drive as you would normally? Currently just taking it easy and not revving unnecessarily (although no evidence for why I am doing this!).

Thanks

·
Registered
149 Posts
With an auto box you shouldn't go wrong.

·
Registered
404 Posts
It's good to keep a light right foot for the first 5-600 miles (1000km) then progressively increase use of higher load.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The general recommendation is also to vary the engine revs during the 1st 1000 miles, not just sit at a steady engine speed.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Rav26 said:
Hi all,

It has been a while since I bought a brand new car and was wondering if there is still a specific driving pattern one should follow to "break in" a new engine, or just drive as you would normally? Currently just taking it easy and not revving unnecessarily (although no evidence for why I am doing this!).

Thanks
Modern engine manufacturing techniques make the parts "fit together" orders of magnitude better than in the bad old days. In short, no particular need to "run-in" as in days of yore. But probably best be gentle to it for the first few thousand. Don't cane the nuts of it in the traffic light grand prix. And if manual, don't let it labour in a high gear, change down sooner when going up a hill, for example. Auto-box will do this for you anyway, it has so many gears to choose from.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Pretty sure there is something in the manual about running in for the first 2k miles ( unless I've imagined it ).

·
Registered
118 Posts
It's on page 185 of my manual for some reason, basically says drive sensibly for the first 2k miles, don't labour the engine, not too many short cold start journeys and no track days !

·
Registered
270 Posts
smayo said:
I've not got the manual. Would anyone be so kind as to tell us what Page 211 says?
This vehicle is built using high-precision
manufacturing methods, but the moving parts
of the engine must still bed-in relative to one
another. The process occurs mainly in the first
3 000 km (2 000 miles) of operation. These
guidelines should be followed during this
running-in period to obtain optimum
performance.
• Avoid frequent cold starts, followed by
short-distance driving.
• Preferably take longer trips.
• Do not use full throttle during starts and
normal driving.
• Avoid continuous operation at high engine
speed, and abrupt stops.
• Do not participate in track days, sports
driving schools or similar.
• Do not operate the vehicle at higher engine
speeds, until the engine has reached normal
operating temperature.
• Avoid labouring the engine by operating the
engine in too high a gear at low speeds.

FYI you can access the manual at http://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix/content/document/view?id=502600&groupId=1655

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mine is page 185 too. Either ours is a small print version or we are missing out on something.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I have run mine in gently - only took it to an indicated 185kph on the drover home back to Germany :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
srdsol said:
It's on page 185 of my manual for some reason, basically says drive sensibly for the first 2k miles, don't labour the engine, not too many short cold start journeys and no track days !
My insurance also says "no track days, no rallying". I wonder if I should tell them I'm an MSA marshal and often drive on the rally circuit, albeit not in competition and certainly not at competition speeds! I do not have sufficiently large spheres for that, certainly not in an "unprepared" car. :)

·
Registered
829 Posts
BFGDSMan said:
I have run mine in gently - only took it to an indicated 185kph on the drover home back to Germany :lol: :lol: :lol:
Is that before or after the 230PS upgrade? Where will it be tuned?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Before - straight out of box. I have now put the Blue Fin box on and the power seems a tiny bit smoother but it has got more in-gear go (say the 50kph to 100 kph town to main road change). I suspect it is not as immediate a difference as it was on my RRE as that was manual and the 9 speed does an excellent job to maximise the power curve of the car. It is about 215ps at the moment and about 500nm of torque. I did have the wick turned to max power on the RRE occasionally (f***ing fast) but the engine was always ticking hot for a while afterwards, so the current settings are the best balence setting (according to Blue Fin anyway). I originally bought the box for eceonomy rather than more power, which it seems to deliver.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.