Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been seeing some fantastic paint work on the calipers lately and got me really want to do something with mine. because I wanted a smooth finish with a bit of design on them, I recently volunteered my car for the caliper covers development for the new DS. a set of custom powder coated in white covers with black lettering - Discovery for front covers and Sport for rear are being made and sent to me by MGP. I will provide test fit photos to them and be sure to post photos on here as well. if you don't know what I'm talking about, here's the website:

Calipercovers.com

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
If you are having some made to fit, see if they will wrap the cover a little further round.
As the caliper are made to go in 17" wheel you can see quite a lot of the top and sides.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I was thinking I might have mine powder coated red or black when I receive mine, however, I'm guessing this will void the warranty for the brakes? Based in UK.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
You could paint (not powder) them in situ ( disconnect the body and take the pads out) that way warranty would be unaffected. The first time you clean you wheels with any wheel cleaner, if acid based, will result in an attack on the plating on the caliper, so the finish will become out of warranty anyway.

As a point of interest most car manufacturers now not replace the wheel centers under warranty (they may to keep us happy) if and when the lacquer bubbles or lifts due to the use of wheel cleaners.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I like the concept but personally I am not sold on them, interestingly Land Rover looked a few years back at making a shroud for calipers , I think it was on l320.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have noticed very little brake dust from my pads, does anyone know if the low dust pads which are on the Jag XE are also fitted to the DS?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Moose said:
I like the concept but personally I am not sold on them, interestingly Land Rover looked a few years back at making a shroud for calipers , I think it was on l320.
can I ask why you're not sold on them? I'm just curious about if there's something I may have overlooked.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Scottish Scrutineer said:
I'd be concerned if these covers restrict the air flow over the calipers. That could lead to overheating of brakes and potential failure due to overheating the fluid.
They do look nice, and would be great on a Custom or Show car, but I would also be concerned with the safety aspect, for general use.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Disco you need to get some shine on those tyres ....

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks all for the comments.
These are actually flat pieces of light aluminum locked on to the surface of the calipers by metal clips, screws and bolts. They do not go over the calipers. Plenty of breathing room. Really smart design. The company makes them has been around for years and they do great sales in the US. Mainly to American cars.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Disco said:
Thanks all for the comments.
These are actually flat pieces of light aluminum locked on to the surface of the calipers by metal clips, screws and bolts. They do not go over the calipers. Plenty of breathing room. Really smart design. The company makes them has been around for years and they do great sales in the US. Mainly to American cars.
Looking again at the images before they are fitted I can see the fixing tabs, as I said they do look nice, does the supplier make covers for other makes of car, and would they ship out to the UK.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yes they do make them for other makers. I don't think they do retail but you can search online for their distributors. you can find them on ebay too. but here's a site that carries their covers, I think they ship to UK.

www.carid.com

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Disco said:
Moose said:
can I ask why you're not sold on them? I'm just curious about if there's something I may have overlooked.
The company I used to manage paints the calipers for McLaren, Bugatti, lotus which are all opposing piston calipers, anything from 4 to 12 pot, as well as more main stream claw stuff such as the F-type and RRS,

So by putting a cover over a claw calipers to me just looks wrong, it's too square and too large. But that's just me. I really like all your other mods. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.