Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else experienced problems when closing the bonnet? The manual clearly states that it can be closed gently. Unfortunatley, my bonnet can only be closed with a Schwarzenegger-style thump. Even then it is often lopsided, i.e. one the locks doesn't seem to engage properly.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Needs a reasonable slam with mine to get both locks to engage

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
A soft close followed by a "lean", or a drop from a few inches, I have found, latches both stages of the lock. Or so it seems - but the display still tells me its open. So a slam from a greater height appears to be needed. If that ends up causing problem with the switch or the latch, not my problem. But well reminded, I shall put it on my snag list.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems to be general problem. I'll add it to the list, too. Many thanks. I think it's a case of style over substance. The car looks good, but they will never be able to compete with Audi or BMW on workmanship. The hinges on the boot look terrible - could have made a better job of it myself.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi DSD

This is a well known issue at JLR. The bonnet on my DS was just the same, almost to the point you could not close it.

I took it back to the dealer straight away and they readjusted the bump stops and the alignment of the bonnet. Originally, the issue was that the bonnet would hit the top of the headlights so overzealous bump stops were installed but in a lot of cases (including your by the sound of it) they were mis-installed.

Cheers

b1ggles2

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yes there was a TSB for this. The wrong size of bonnet stop was fitting at build, or not fitted at all in my case, it would have been fixed by the dealer. May just be that the stops haven't been set up right making it difficult to close. Might be worth twisting them in a bit and see if that helps.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had the same problem.
On the first day I got it, I was looking all over the car.
When I opened the bonnet, then tried to close it, it must have take 6 - 7 attempts for it to lock, according to the dashboard indicator.....
Not had to look in the bonnet since, and hopefully don't have to until it goes back to the dealers for a service

·
Registered
109 Posts
Same problem on both of ours, sorted out with a squirt of WD40 on the latches, (and a firm slam).

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
stu7373 said:
I had the same problem.
When I opened the bonnet, then tried to close it, it must have take 6 - 7 attempts for it to lock, according to the dashboard indicator.....
Not had to look in the bonnet since, and hopefully don't have to until it goes back to the dealers for a service
Glad I looked under the bonnet before I left the dealer - found a missing dust cap on the a/c filler valve and a barcode lable which should've been removed flapping around asking to get caught in something. PDI? Na...

·
Registered
9 Posts
The dealers must be aware of this problem. The salesman made a point of telling me that the bonnet had to be shut firmly for it to latch properly. He went on to demonstrate what he meant by "firmly". I would have more properly described it as a "slam". I've closed the bonnet as he showed me and not had a problem. Generally happy with the car. DAB/brake light issue to deal with, and the radio always coming on at start up is a nuisance, but that's about it

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Hmm. FWIW I think the radio coming on when you start up is what 99% of the people would expect and prefer, so much so I doubt it's even an option you can turn off. Every car I've ever had had this except my dad's Rover P4, where the radio was an after-market installation by him and it was wired direct to the battery.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
ccomley said:
stu7373 said:
I had the same problem.
Glad I looked under the bonnet before I left the dealer - found a missing dust cap on the a/c filler valve and a barcode lable which should've been removed flapping around asking to get caught in something. PDI? Na...
Found a small pile of barcode lables behind/under the third row on mine.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Closed the bonnet this morning and checked it was shut, got in car message bonnet open. Got out of car and tried to lock it , wouldn't.
Opened bonnet again and gave it a real slam, all then ok. Not good shouldn't have to slam bonnet.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Yeah have to drop mine from quite a height to make it shut properly ... If you lower the stops it catches the headlights

·
Registered
63 Posts
Like the roof the bonnet is aluminium so it hasn't got the weight behind it if you let it drop shut.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
The point is the bonnet WAS shut but obviously hadn't triggered the switch to say it was shut. Not happy having to slam it but will wait until next visit to dealers to try and get fixed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had the same problem - severe slam needed. I told my local LR dealer, and somehow they seem to have improved things. It still has to be closed from a certain height, i.e. not a gentle push to engage as specified in the manual, but it's better than before.

My suggestion: take it back. They also managed to address the rear "seat squeak" issue.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
discosportdisaster said:
I had the same problem - severe slam needed. I told my local LR dealer, and somehow they seem to have improved things. It still has to be closed from a certain height, i.e. not a gentle push to engage as specified in the manual, but it's better than before.

My suggestion: take it back. They also managed to address the rear "seat squeak" issue.
Will save until service to rectify or until another fault occurs.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.