Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after contemplating for some time, I did it. to not be 100% committed, as an alternative solution, I went with black gloss vinyl wrap for those grey pieces on the car. very happy with the result I've gotta say.

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Nice solution for something I have been wondering myself!
I thought I can simply remove the front undershield and reveal a black surface. Removing the rear undershield will perhaps leave a less nice surface? (I don't have my car yet!).

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IluH said:
Nice solution for something I have been wondering myself!
I thought I can simply remove the front undershield and reveal a black surface. Removing the rear undershield will perhaps leave a less nice surface? (I don't have my car yet!).
If you remove those pieces, it would look like the car is missing parts no?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Gloss vinyl, now that's the solution right there

·
Registered
741 Posts
Nice one!

This is exactly what I will be doing. Much as I love JLR products they have much to learn about colour contrasting trim. My first Evoque was white, with a silver letter, black name badge and red engine badge,light grey grill and dark grey fender/boot trim. £100 later the whole lot had been sprayed gloss black and a tenner for some black Range Rover letters; result a co-ordinated look. This could equally have been achieved with silver but i felt black was better with white in my opinion.

My DS will have its grill and wing trim sprayed black to match the boot trim. The Disco letters will go from the bonnet (IMHO they just look so clumsy and in winter they just streak salt and road grime), the Disco letters will go black on the boot with all other boot badging taken off.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Vinyl wrapping does sound a good Idea, at least them if you get fed up with it it can be removed.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BFGDSMan said:
Nice one!

This is exactly what I will be doing. Much as I love JLR products they have much to learn about colour contrasting trim. My first Evoque was white, with a silver letter, black name badge and red engine badge,light grey grill and dark grey fender/boot trim. £100 later the whole lot had been sprayed gloss black and a tenner for some black Range Rover letters; result a co-ordinated look. This could equally have been achieved with silver but i felt black was better with white in my opinion.

My DS will have its grill and wing trim sprayed black to match the boot trim. The Disco letters will go from the bonnet (IMHO they just look so clumsy and in winter they just streak salt and road grime), the Disco letters will go black on the boot with all other boot badging taken off.
yes, white + black is a great combo. clean yet aggressive IMO. don't the front and side grills and Disco letters already come black when you get the black pack? and what's boot badge?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Moose said:
Vinyl wrapping does sound a good Idea, at least them if you get fed up with it it can be removed.
exactly. for a simple and relatively inexpensive way, I can change the front bumper piece to white to match the body color if I wanted to later.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My local wrapper says it cant be done with current stock in Northern Ireland as the matt plastic finish doesn't take the vinyl and it'll peel off in 2-3 months. He siad there is a wrap that is similar to a priming wrap but he hasn't and won't be getting it in stock anytime soon duw to in only coming in very large rolls. How did your guy get around this Disco?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Disco said:
BFGDSMan said:
Nice one!

yes, white + black is a great combo. clean yet aggressive IMO. don't the front and side grills and Disco letters already come black when you get the black pack? and what's boot badge?
Call me old fashioned but the Black pack is a masive rip off (bit like the MSport pack on a BMW where people think it cost more to produce a sport bumper over a normal one (it doesn't) so you are really just paying for the alloys); I have just ordered the basic contrast roof which will come with black mirrors aswell. With the full Black pack then the grill and side vents come in black - no cost difference to JLR. Letters come in black - no cost difference to JLR (and a waste of money to me as the bonnet letters will be taken off anyway). So you are paying £1200 for a black roof (another rip off as 90% of it is glass DON'T GET ME STARTED!!) and a set of black alloys. Personally my OCD would never let me buy the 20" wheels as on one side of the car the spokes point to the front and on the other to the back - I need symetry.

In terms of boot badges I mean the the Sport badge and the HSE SD4 badge will all be removed as they are all different colours and fonts (don't see that on a BMW, Merc, Audi........) and will remove the LR badge (symetry).

Car should be built on Friday and am going for a collect on the 4th June (fingers crossed) so pictures to follow.

·
Registered
138 Posts
You know you've spelt symmetry wrong?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I thought you'd be good for it, only joking u. Certain sense of irony of your symmetry OCD but it's spelt wrong

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Black pack or not is all personal preference that I think you can't really put a value to it. it's a supply and demand thing when it comes down to it. regardless of material cost, if there's a demand for the black pack, then LR is able to charge extra for it. in fact, I know people who have chrome trims (which is the highest cost) on their cars who paid to have them sprayed black LOL. anyway, congrats BFDGFman on your new car. you must be excited to pick it up.

Peter, the vinyl wrap installer I went to was concerned with the matte finish on those piece at the beginning, but he was able to find a way around it by applying additional adhesive when applying. he thinks it should last at least 1 year or 2, and if it starts to peel, he will then spray them free for me. so finding a good installer is the key. hope this helps.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Black pack or not is all personal preference that I think you can't really put a value to it. it's a supply and demand thing when it comes down to it. regardless of material cost, if there's a demand for the black pack, then LR is able to charge extra for it. in fact, I know people who have chrome trims (which is the highest cost) on their cars who paid to have them sprayed black LOL. anyway, congrats BFDGFman on your new car. you must be excited to pick it up.

Peter, the vinyl wrap installer I went to was concerned with the matte finish on those piece at the beginning, but he was able to find a way around it by applying additional adhesive when applying. he thinks it should last at least 1 year or 2, and if it starts to peel, he will then spray them free for me. so finding a good installer is the key. hope this helps.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I have attached some pictures of what I did on my first RRE - this is what I attend to do with the new DS in a couple of weeks time.

I realise that it is all personal taste and that is the great thing about forums we all have own views and opinions and are free to share. Ultimatatley we all want to pimp our car a little bit and make it stand out from the crowd. :geek:

Attachments

·
Registered
677 Posts
How did you cope with only one exhaust? :lol:

Looks good though.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.