Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you want good off road with stunning accommodation then go to Peckforton Castle near Tarporley. I did it when I got a LR Exp when I got my FL2 a couple of years ago. If you choose to stay book your accommodation through the LR Exp reception as you'll get a discount.

·
Registered
230 Posts
That certainly fits the bill, a nice little mini break with the wife, and get someone to have our children. We are in Kent, anywhere else with a similar quality hotel set up also slightly nearer to London?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Sounds like I need to plan a trip to Eastnor! A three hour drive so not tooo bad...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Three hours drive beats my nearest choices... Montebello, Quebec - 4500kms
Carmel, California - 1700kms

Not sure what they'll offer me in lieu yet... Anyone been in a similar situation?

·
Registered
80 Posts
We did a full day at Peckferton castle did half in Freelander and half in a Range rover sport and thought it was brilliant the instructor told me things about the car that was not in the manual
just looked at Eastnor castle website there is a camping facility so will go there with the Caravan this time

·
Registered
49 Posts
Got to be Eastnor

·
Registered
47 Posts
Our nearest one is up near Skipton, Coniston Hall.
Anyone been there???

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
There is supposed to be a new one opening in Yorkshire I heard, may be worth a check.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hi All
Just tried to book at Wessington farm, Honnington, I planned for a Sunday afternoon, told they do not do Sundays!
Was willing to compromise with a Saturday afternoon, told is not available until after 19th AUGUST!!
Is this typical of others EXPERIENCE ? (pun intended).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Been to the skipton one years ago, got a whole day then, with food etc, and the kids got clay pigeon shhoting and other entertainments as well. Think you only get a half day now, will see when mine arrives a few weeks, will be nice to go back.
Some good hills there, the lake was good fun and also the long drive down a muddy track at the back of the course.
We also did one at Tong near Leeds, that was a good day out as well!

Bob

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
There is a lot of discussion on various forums. Be a bit careful taking advice since they do change and people's experience may be well out of date. General consensus seems to be that Eastnor, Skipton, Peckforton are the best, but they all have the basic facilities. Some have more off road space than others. They do tend to get booked up - I'm booked at Eastnor in April. It's a weekday but even then I had to book about 4 months in advance. Apparently Eastnor has only one DS available. The wait may be shorter with other models. The usual programme is a drive on road, followed by an obstacle course with instructor driving, followed by the same with you driving, followed by some off-road. Apparently some centres will allow you to modify this - after all if you drive the car on road all day the first part of the programme would be pointless. On a personal basis, I had a poor experience at Luton, but that was a few years ago. Even so I don't recommend it.
Best experience I have had to date was in N Wales, when a member of the FL2 forum organised a private full day using our own vehicles. never did get all the mud off...

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'm booked in for the beginning of June at the Wessington Farm, Honiton one in Devon (West Country on the LR Experience website) and have paid for the upgrade to the full day experience, so get to choose more than one car type and get lunch as well. Booked in with my wife to drive the DS in the morning and then the New Discovery in the afternoon. Glad I delayed slightly actually as they're only getting their New Discovery in May, so timing is perfect! I've heard good things about the place from others here, so really looking forward to it!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts