Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recent "top10" from carwow puts the DS second behind the new Volvo XC90 (but ahead of the RRSport and D4 !)

https://www.carwow.co.uk/blog/7-Seater-SUVs

Tough trying to compare apples with apples, but I'm sure everyone on this forum feels justified for their DS decision based on this :)

Have a great weekend all you lucky DS owners. The rest of us are crossing the calendar days off.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Are there really people out there who would pay nearly £69k for a Volvo ?
The asylum is calling :shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
I am personally very impressed with the XC90. Starts at eur 68,000 in NL, about the same as the DS in Lux trim and the interior is twice as nice. This is one of the reasons why you should spec a DS sensibly. At X3 base money it makes sense, at X5 or XC90 levels its interior is too basic in my view with no real difference between SE Tech or HSE Lux
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
KaikouraDiscoSport said:
I am personally very impressed with the XC90. Starts at eur 68,000 in NL, about the same as the DS in Lux trim and the interior is twice as nice. This is one of the reasons why you should spec a DS sensibly. At X3 base money it makes sense, at X5 or XC90 levels its interior is too basic in my view with no real difference between SE Tech or HSE Lux
If that's your view why are you bothering with the DS then?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
philn said:
Why order an hse then!!!!!!!!.
We dont have SE Tech in The Netherlands but our equivalent is HSE
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
Charles said:
KaikouraDiscoSport said:
I am personally very impressed with the XC90. Starts at eur 68,000 in NL, about the same as the DS in Lux trim and the interior is twice as nice. This is one of the reasons why you should spec a DS sensibly. At X3 base money it makes sense, at X5 or XC90 levels its interior is too basic in my view with no real difference between SE Tech or HSE Lux
If that's your view why are you bothering with the DS then?
The XC90 with options I wanted was EUR 25,000 more due to high Dutch taxes and I do think the DS is an amazing car. I just personally think that if you tick most DS options on an HSE Lux, you create a car which interior quality and overall space no longer competes with a X5, XC90 or even Q7
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,159 Posts
The DS competes with the X3 and Q5 not the X5, XC90 or Q7, I paid a lot for my Lux with extras but didn't want a car as big as these 3, if you spec these cars up to spec of mine they are a lot dearer in UK.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
philn said:
The DS competes with the X3 and Q5 not the X5, XC90 or Q7, I paid a lot for my Lux with extras but didn't want a car as big as these 3, if you spec these cars up to spec of mine they are a lot dearer in UK.
Agreed - it's to LR's credit they have been abLe to package a 7 seat configuration in to something the size of a Q5 / X3. "Equivalent" spec XC90 looks to be 20-30% higher cost. I'm sure you get a more luxury feel in the cabin, but you're paying more for the privilege. And lower fuel economy. And higher road tax. And inferior off-road capability. Horses for courses etc but I think the DS has a niche all to itself currently...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
BlameTheParents said:
philn said:
The DS competes with the X3 and Q5 not the X5, XC90 or Q7, I paid a lot for my Lux with extras but didn't want a car as big as these 3, if you spec these cars up to spec of mine they are a lot dearer in UK.
Agreed - it's to LR's credit they have been abLe to package a 7 seat configuration in to something the size of a Q5 / X3. "Equivalent" spec XC90 looks to be 20-30% higher cost. I'm sure you get a more luxury feel in the cabin, but you're paying more for the privilege. And lower fuel economy. And higher road tax. And inferior off-road capability. Horses for courses etc but I think the DS has a niche all to itself currently...
Sorry no credit due to LR on this one, we had no choice, only 7 seats was released in the UK, in Europe and beyond, by all means sir, you can have a 5 seat model. But it like this, would not fancy my chances of getting kids out in an emergency from the 3rd row., slide 2nd row forward to give you more room, Lets face fact, the 2nd row sliding forward is a gimmick and stops you being able to put backs down to make a perfect flat boot space like the Freelander, and we all know that after a month or so, when little johnny says can he sit in the very back row, all the driver will say is, get in the 2nd row for now, we'r in a rush, or just car't be ass'ed. A very unsafe gimmick from LR indeed.
regards
tony
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
srdsol said:
Are there really people out there who would pay nearly £69k for a Volvo ?
The asylum is calling :shock:
Of course there are, if that's the car they want and feel safe in. Like many daft people who spend 80 plus on a RRS or 58 on a D4 its up to them. But the ones who make me laugh the most are the ones who spec up and up and up, when the trade in , maybe in two years time, they get the trade in price of base model, If its an HSE, with steps, this and that, your just get the HSE price, and a big thank you for the steps and the rest of the goodies you brought.
regards
tony
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
philn said:
Why order an hse then!!!!!!!!.
This reply you made was to someone who lives in Holland, before you can have a go at them, you have to remember how the tax system works over there, l spend alot of time in Holland, l have a friend over there in business, he just brought his wife a Evoque, 80000 euro, in the first year he will have to pay 25% of cost in tax, again in the 2nd and so on. we are very lucky in the UK.., even the road tax is a fortune, every 3 months is has a large bill..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
merctony said:
Sorry no credit due to LR on this one, we had no choice, only 7 seats was released in the UK, in Europe and beyond, by all means sir, you can have a 5 seat model. But it like this, would not fancy my chances of getting kids out in an emergency from the 3rd row., slide 2nd row forward to give you more room, Lets face fact, the 2nd row sliding forward is a gimmick and stops you being able to put backs down to make a perfect flat boot space like the Freelander, and we all know that after a month or so, when little johnny says can he sit in the very back row, all the driver will say is, get in the 2nd row for now, we'r in a rush, or just car't be ass'ed. A very unsafe gimmick from LR indeed.
regards
tony
Agree a 5 seat non-eco option for the UK would be useful (and I'm sure will come in time), but a big selling point for me was the availability of the occasional +2 seating. Currently driving a S-MAX and use the +2 maybe a couple of times a month but incredibly useful on those occasions to drive friends/kids around. I absolutely saw this as a cheaper alternative to X5, Q7, XC90 and don't need the size of car that those models represent.

As one reviewer said, "the back seats might not be huge, but if I was offered a lift home from the pub in one, I'd take it !"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
merctony said:
BlameTheParents said:
philn said:
The DS competes with the X3 and Q5 not the X5, XC90 or Q7, I paid a lot for my Lux with extras but didn't want a car as big as these 3, if you spec these cars up to spec of mine they are a lot dearer in UK.
Agreed - it's to LR's credit they have been abLe to package a 7 seat configuration in to something the size of a Q5 / X3. "Equivalent" spec XC90 looks to be 20-30% higher cost. I'm sure you get a more luxury feel in the cabin, but you're paying more for the privilege. And lower fuel economy. And higher road tax. And inferior off-road capability. Horses for courses etc but I think the DS has a niche all to itself currently...
Sorry no credit due to LR on this one, we had no choice, only 7 seats was released in the UK, in Europe and beyond, by all means sir, you can have a 5 seat model. But it like this, would not fancy my chances of getting kids out in an emergency from the 3rd row., slide 2nd row forward to give you more room, Lets face fact, the 2nd row sliding forward is a gimmick and stops you being able to put backs down to make a perfect flat boot space like the Freelander, and we all know that after a month or so, when little johnny says can he sit in the very back row, all the driver will say is, get in the 2nd row for now, we'r in a rush, or just car't be ass'ed. A very unsafe gimmick from LR indeed.
regards
tony
Disagree, all credit to LR. These 3rd row seats are as all other manufacturers, Hyundai, Toyota, Citroen, Peugeot etc can't remember all of them. Access to the 3rd row is probably better in the LR. For me it was one of the main reasons for choosing the car. It makes the LR so much more versatile than the X3 or Q5. What I do agree with however is that LR should have had the 5 seater option in the UK for a reduced price for those that only need the 5 seats.
But LR have done a fantastic job of getting the 7 seats in and hence beats the competition.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top