Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A cautionary tale for anyone considering shifting their old car through a car-buyer, rather than simply part-exing.

I've always driven company cars. It was only two years ago when my firm moved over to allowances that I bought my first new car. My purchase of my new DS is therefore the first time I've ever had to negotiate the choppy waters of part-exing.

I ordered my car on Jan 31st. I was given a fair interim part ex valuation on my two year old Kia Sportage by the LR dealer, but he himself advised me that I might get a better price from WeBuyAnyCar or another such organisation.

Out of interest I made some enquiries. WeBuyAnyCar actually came up with less than the LR dealer, but TrustedCarBuyers came in at £900 more, not to be sniffed at I thought.

I didn't want to be mucked about, so although my car is in almost perfect condition, has a full dealer service history, 5 years of warranty left etc. I took photos of any minor issues I thought might influence the price and emailed them to TrustedCarBuyers, requesting they be taken into account and a final valuation issued.

They came back to me again, the valuation unchanged at £900 more than LR. Great I thought.

I'm picking up my DS in two weeks, and I can drive my wife's 'weekend' Fiat 500 convertible until then, so I booked an appointment with TrustedCarBuyers, this was when things started to go wrong.

I received a call few minutes after booking to give me the 'final valuation' for my car. "What final valuation?" I said. Nothing had changed, they hadn't inspected it yet, so why would the valuation change? Anyway it had, dropping from £12,904, to £12,000, exactly what my dealer had offered me.

Of course I kicked off, and after an hour of negotiation the valuation was back up to £12,700 and the appointment confirmed.

Then on the day of the appointment I received another phone call. "Before you come in we wanted to inform you of another change to our valuation. It's now £11,700."

Needless to say at this point I told them where they could shove their valuation! I then called my LR dealer and booked an appointment with him to get a final 'binding' part ex valuation before the handover in two weeks time. I sat nervously waiting for him to assess the car, thinking, based on what had just happened, that his valuation too might drop by a grand. Not so, he came back with a final, 'binding' valuation of £12,700. Fantastic!

In the middle of all this I also had an appointment with WeWantAnyCar. This turned out to be almost comical. Their representative, who looked and sounded like one of the Essex based characters from 'Gavin and Stacy' dressed for a night out clubbing, couldn't find anything wrong with my car. So, instead he told me the 'inside story' of how Kia dealers are known for letting new cars out to be used as private-hire vehicles for a few weeks before sale, they then clock them and sell them as brand new. The threat of this would of course, reduce the valuation of my car. I laughed in his face before driving off.

So to all of you out there who might be considering the WeBuyAnyCar et al route, please take heed of this cautionary tale. Your LR dealer might be more honest and generous when it comes to your px allowance than you think!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thanks mattrix299 for sharing the experience. I was a bit disappointed with the dealer's offer for the FL2 but I did get some movement from them as I walked towards the door, and closed the gap with an increased offer and free 5 year service plan. I considered trying a private sale / webuyanycar.com but actually ended up not unhappy with the overall deal from my dealer. Hoping the extra mileage that has gone on the FL2 (and which will need to increase a fair chunk in the current two week delay period before mine is now due to arrive) since the price was agreed at end Jan isn't going to upset things when we do the handover!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Here's my tuppence-worth -
I wanted to trade in my 18 month old 16000mile BMW 335i coupe. Mint condition and not a mark on it, inside or out.
LR dealer, in spite of having a BMW dealership up the road could only manage 22k for it. I phoned around for a better price from somne other BMW dealers and got nowhere.
I then phoned Webuyanycar who quoted me 23k so I made an appointment. Anyone I told said they would drop that offer after seeing the car but after a close inspection and test drive by the WBAC chap, he told me he would give me the full price (minus the admin fee of £75, about which I already knew) so I signed the paperwork and had the money as promised 4 days later. He told me it was one of his easiest appraisals in months.
I really could not fault the service I received from them and I got, as promised, Rad tax refund a week later.

I'm not saying this is how it always is, but my experience was first class and I was very happy with the price and the process.

All I need now, is my Disco!

·
Registered
562 Posts
I went to my dealer to get a backstop part-ex price for my FL2 HSE. Bearing in mind we were dealing directly with the manager, a brief chat with a sales exec prior to our meeting, indicated a shortage of stock, but was low balled.

WBAC offered £14k for it, the car had bramble rash, a couple kerbed alloys, a few minor door dinks, needed an MOT, servicing, new tyres, so I knew the price would fall on inspection.

Anyway, stuck it on Autotrader, sold it in 24hrs for £15k.....maybe should have gone for more.....

Bearing in mind all the main dealers had the car up at >£17k for my spec and mileage,

·
Registered
66 Posts
My dealer gave me a price of £10500 for a 58 plate FL2 SE with one wheel arch scraped but in overall quite good condition. This price was the price for the car given in January for a Disco Sport arriving in March/April. So I guess the later my car arrives the worse it is for the dealer. Sounded fair to me but I contacted trusted car buyer and they offered £11000. This reduced by £500 three weeks later. Stick with the main dealers offer is so much easier.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Part ex is never what you expect. I got £22,500 for a November 2012 HSE Lux FL2. Was offered 23k by WBAC.com but didn't take it up as expected a battle with them. Car is immaculate and not a single scratch, honest. The big scare is the £500/month the FL2 looses until 3 years old. Will the DS be the same? Looked at private leasing as an option, worked out about the same as the depreciation cost. Would have done it if I hadn't got the equity in the FL2. Starting again definitely 2 year lease deal, it's a no brainer, it costs the same and you keep your equity.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I don't trust these WBAC companies; lure you with great offer and negotiate down afterwards.

We do now have a website in NL which guarantees some 3% of more discount on ANY new car... Guess that only works if you sold privately yet decent discount all the same: https://www.nieuweautokopen.nl/land_rover/discovery_sport/

·
Registered
27 Posts
I didn't trust WBAC places either, but as I explained above, they paid me exactly what they had offered, as my car was as described. Had it had a kerbed wheel or 2, or needed a panel resprayed, or whatever, then they would have reduced the price. As it was, I came out of the deal £1000 better off than part-exchange.
I'm happy with that outcome.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts