Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some time I kept getting the low battery warning message - which resulted in certain things powering down like the tailgate not working. I thought after 4 years or so it was time to change the battery. However after installing a new one I still got the same message plus the stop/start never worked prior and since.

There appears to be two schools of thought as to wether the BMS needs resetting - some suggest it doesn't and that after putting a few miles on the clock the system learns that a new battery has been fitted and alls good. However in my case this was not true!

I took the car into a local independent garage (not JLR) who connected a code reader module thingy and was able to reset the battery management system and voila no warning messages and the stop/start worked straight away and is still working weeks later! So in my situation a reset was the way to go.

The battery was bought from Halfords but fitted by me as the Halfords tech gizmo didn't have DS listed!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi

Just a quick question, by disconnecting the battery is there any issues in terms of stereo codes or anything like that? I'm thinking of taking my battery out to charge it before the winter kicks in to be on the safe side. I dont have a drive or garage so will have to take it out to charge.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a little tricky removing the battery you have to unscrew cross member plus the battery weighs quite a bit.
Not that I'm aware of you will have to reset clock etc. and windows.

·
Registered
49 Posts
We have the same symptoms on our 2018 Disco Petrol HSE as the original poster, stop start/tailgate not working, etc

Given the lack of use over lockdowns plus we took delivery of a Mini Countryman PHEV earlier this year, our Disco is getting much less use, so when we go to use often get the low battery warning. Despite a few longer runs, 45 min-1 hour each, the low battery can go for a day then returns, i appreciate this may not be enough to charge the battery.

I looked in the manual about battery charging and it said it needed to be removed, not a job I'd rather do.

Am i able to contact an external charger with the battery in situ or does it need to be removed?? Is there anyway to check the current battery as just needs the battery management system reset? Or Is it worth just getting a new battery installed, I'd expect one to loast longer than 3 years but appreciate now is not normal times.

·
Registered
164 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
I periods of low use, I have been connecting my CTEK Smart Charger. The kit came with a handy connecting with eyelet connects that now lives connected to my battery with the socket cable tied to the crossmemeber just outside the battery cover. Connection and disconnection is therefore quick and easy.
No battery issues or warnings since I started doing this at the start of lockdown.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Burnerg81 said:
Lots of info here.

https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10648

You don't need to remove the battery to charge it. I charge mine monthly when I'm not using it much or during winter. Takes 4/6 hours in my experience so just do it overnight or during the day if I'm working at home.
Thanks, very helpful and appreciate link to article I meant to find orginally!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Same as the previous response I use a Ctek mxs5 and leave the comfort connector attached to the car at all times. Easy enough to attach if you have a socket set and makes regular charging easy.

It's even helped us out on the 2nd car after we left the interior light on (old car). Battery died and a quick charge overnight restored it.

Can't recommend it enough for what was £70 last year.

·
Registered
83 Posts
as others said charging with battery in place fine, I replaced mine earlier in the year, just swapped it out and put new one in, no BMS reset stuff and all worked fine !

·
Registered
20 Posts
24h with my CTEK 5.0 resurrected the 8-year-old Varta battery in my XF so I'm another CTEK fan.

·
Registered
724 Posts
:cool: Again, can recommend the CTek, last used on my MY15 with no problems.

·
Registered
49 Posts
So CTEK purchased and just went to connect up, the cable doesnt reach from battery positve point to the designated earth point in the engine bay. Dumb question I know, but presumably can connect to any point on the chassis that is bare metal for good conductivity, just not the negative terminal of the battery??

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yes absolutely any bare metal can be used but even better is to wire in the comfort connector (was supplied with my ctek charger) it only takes seconds to connect/ disconnect the charger.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Think I had to pull the leads apart a bit so it could reach the earth point. I did the same as the last poster, however, and just connected the comfort lead.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts