Discovery Sport Forum banner

Autonomous Emergency Braking

15K views 51 replies 21 participants last post by  PaulTheWall 
#1 ·
My new discovery sport was just delivered (literally). The car was initially delivered 4 weeks ago and unfortunately had a fault. The dealer took 3 weeks to fix the issue. I also questioned about the Emergency breaking system. Even though the menu has Forward alert funtion and Autonomous Emergency breaking system is active I can't see how it works. Service manager at the dealership says unless you crash the car you can't check whether it is working. I have spoken to two other dealerships and everyone has a different opinion. My conclusion is unless your car has adaptive cruise control, forward alert nor autonomus emergency breaking works - Is that correct? can someone please help me to understand?

#3 ·
pdemel, look at the other posts on here, to sum up ALL discovery sports are supposed to have it as standard otherwise it wouldn't have got a 5 star rating from Ncap. The vast majority of owners on here do not think it works and as you will see from the posts we have begged and pleaded with LR to prove it works with absolutely no response except if you have concerns contact your dealer and as you have found out the can't help.
Apart from other issues this in my case being the main one it means that a lot of people will NOT be buying another car from LR, I will be buying a car from a manufacturer who cares about its customers.

#4 ·
philn said:
pdemel, look at the other posts on here, to sum up ALL discovery sports are supposed to have it as standard otherwise it wouldn't have got a 5 star rating from Ncap. The vast majority of owners on here do not think it works and as you will see from the posts we have begged and pleaded with LR to prove it works with absolutely no response except if you have concerns contact your dealer and as you have found out the can't help.
Apart from other issues this in my case being the main one it means that a lot of people will NOT be buying another car from LR, I will be buying a car from a manufacturer who cares about its customers.
Get a grip!! unless you bought the the vehicle for the sole reason that it had this feature (which I doubt) your talking absolute rubbish!

#5 ·
I am of the opinion that unless proven we need to simply trust the AEB is installed on all cars and will work in extreme conditions. One day, one of us will have a 30mph city crash and it either worked or didn't. That will be the answer. 30(!!) pages of gossip on whether it is working is enough in my view as nobody seems to add any objective views

#6 ·
I tend to agree with KaikouraDiscoSport on this even though I don't have mine yet.

Talked to my dealer the other day and he has tested it at a dealers event and it worked. The first time he tried it he braked himself simply because, as he said, this was the natural reaction. Second time around he didn't and the car braked for him.

#7 ·
I think the point is we were told in all the advertising that the DS had all the latest systems on it and that certainly made me think it was worth the price however now having the car I realise it doesn't live upto the hype

#8 ·
ChrisPBlackburn said:
philn said:
Get a grip!! unless you bought the the vehicle for the sole reason that it had this feature (which I doubt) your talking absolute rubbish!
Thanks for your insults good to have people like you on here.

A forum is about opinions and all are welcome without stupid replies like yours.

No I didn't buy the DS because it had autonomous breaking and would have bought it if it didn't.

The point is that when I pay over £50000 for a car and I am told it has something on it I expect it to be there and working, especially if it is a safety feature that could save my families life - not too much to ask for.
Lots of owners on here have expressed concerns regarding this system and LR haven't adequately provided a response.

None of the issues raised on here are the end of the world but are still issues. For example the much lauded new entertainment system where the sat nav doesn't have place names, programmable reverse dip mirrors that can't be programmed, squeaks and rattles, stupid 3rd row seat belt clips, creases in rear leather seats, reversing tow bar lines that don't line up with towbars, bonnets that have to be slammed to shut, air conditioning systems that weren't correctly filled, mood lights that you need 20/20 vision to see, etc.

As I said not deal breakers but things that shouldn't happen on a "luxury" car.

#9 ·
philn said:
ChrisPBlackburn said:
philn said:
Thanks for your insults good to have people like you on here.

A forum is about opinions and all are welcome without stupid replies like yours.

No I didn't buy the DS because it had autonomous breaking and would have bought it if it didn't.

The point is that when I pay over £50000 for a car and I am told it has something on it I expect it to be there and working, especially if it is a safety feature that could save my families life - not too much to ask for.
Lots of owners on here have expressed concerns regarding this system and LR haven't adequately provided a response.

None of the issues raised on here are the end of the world but are still issues. For example the much lauded new entertainment system where the sat nav doesn't have place names, programmable reverse dip mirrors that can't be programmed, squeaks and rattles, stupid 3rd row seat belt clips, creases in rear leather seats, reversing tow bar lines that don't line up with towbars, bonnets that have to be slammed to shut, air conditioning systems that weren't correctly filled, mood lights that you need 20/20 vision to see, etc.

As I said not deal breakers but things that shouldn't happen on a "luxury" car.
WELL SAID TAKE MY HAT OFF TO THIS MAN.....

#10 ·
The very fact that you think the being told to "Get a grip" is insulting leads me to believe that you have a tendency to over exaggerate.

If you have issues speak to your dealer and get them sorted.

Making comment such as "A lot of people will not be buying another car from LR" is based on your opinion and not of fact, hence why I suggested you were talking rubbish!

This forum has almost become the Discover Sport Haters Club, the amount of negativity is unbelievable. People like you Philn are coming here with problems not solutions!!

My Discovery Sport is perfect, yes the infotainment systems has a few bugs but it wasn't long ago that I had a fiesta with a cassette player, so I'm happy to live with it for now and enquire next time I'm at the dealership, I certainly won't be coming out with ridiculous statements such as yours!

I reiterate my original quote, get a grip!!!

#11 ·
Don't forget your comment that I am talking rubbish, you are obviously after a job in LR customer relations with your comment see your dealer.
Look at the other posts on here where people are cancelling their orders due to the service they are receiving and selling their cars because they are disappointed.
I would never consider making personal attacks on someone on here, EVEN YOU.

#12 ·
ChrisPBlackburn said:
The very fact that you think the being told to "Get a grip" is insulting leads me to believe that you have a tendency to over exaggerate.

Making comment such as "A lot of people will not be buying another car from LR" is based on your opinion and not of fact, hence why I suggested you were talking rubbish!

This forum has almost become the Discover Sport Haters Club, the amount of negativity is unbelievable. People like you Philn are coming here with problems not solutions!!

My Discovery Sport is perfect, yes the infotainment systems has a few bugs but it wasn't long ago that I had a fiesta with a cassette player, so I'm happy to live with it for now and enquire next time I'm at the dealership, I certainly won't be coming out with ridiculous statements such as yours!

How long have you been working/paid by JLR Chris? You must be blind to not see that many people are not happy with their £40 - £50k purchase. Speaking to your dealer is the stock JLR answer - and guess what - they don't have a clue either, and are generally too busy trying to fix a backlog of problems on cars they've already delivered.

I've been advised, by an independent vehicle inspector, to not touch it with a barge pole, (as it may fall apart if you try to).

Pity really as I think the design is great, albeit the third row seats are a complete waste of space and cost IMO.

To be honest the quality is miles behind the Evoque, which I appreciate is a more luxurious/less roomy vehicle, and priced accordingly. The Evoque XL may be the car that many DS owners were expecting - but that's not what they've got.

A DS HSE Lux costs about £50k - which is about £15k too much in the words of my inspector!

Think you need to get a grip yourself, and start to understand that other people are not happy.

PS: have you posted a picture of your car in the gallery - just asking?

#14 ·
DevonDisco said:
ChrisPBlackburn said:

How long have you been working/paid by JLR Chris? You must be blind to not see that many people are not happy with their £40 - £50k purchase. Speaking to your dealer is the stock JLR answer - and guess what - they don't have a clue either, and are generally too busy trying to fix a backlog of problems on cars they've already delivered.

I've been advised, by an independent vehicle inspector, to not touch it with a barge pole, (as it may fall apart if you try to).

Pity really as I think the design is great, albeit the third row seats are a complete waste of space and cost IMO.

To be honest the quality is miles behind the Evoque, which I appreciate is a more luxurious/less roomy vehicle, and priced accordingly. The Evoque XL may be the car that many DS owners were expecting - but that's not what they've got.

A DS HSE Lux costs about £50k - which is about £15k too much in the words of my inspector!

Think you need to get a grip yourself, and start to understand that other people are not happy.

PS: have you posted a picture of your car in the gallery - just asking?
This is funny, all this talk about AEB. Those that say it doesn't work, how do you trust that the airbag will inflate when it needs to or do you want it tested. My view is simple, if you don't like it then don't keep it, if you do you will always be thinking how bad it is. I live my car and will not get anything else.

#15 ·
Charles, I like the car on the whole but don't like LR'S treatment of customers.

Take your point regarding airbags but they don't come into play until you have a crash, AEB is supposed to warn you visually and audibly before deploying, other people on here have other makes with the system where this happens, myself and other owners have been in situations where we would have expected something to happen and it has not. This has not been helped by the different information that has been put out by LR in the original post (which was blocked at LR'S request) in the customer services area.

#16 ·
philn said:
Charles, I like the car on the whole but don't like LR'S treatment of customers.

Take your point regarding airbags but they don't come into play until you have a crash, AEB is supposed to warn you visually and audibly before deploying, other people on here have other makes with the system where this happens, myself and other owners have been in situations where we would have expected something to happen and it has not. This has not been helped by the different information that has been put out by LR in the original post (which was blocked at LR'S request) in the customer services area.
I agree about LR silence, again you don't know when the system should start. It will be different to other manufacturers. I would think that it leaves it till the last minute and the AEB also deactivates as soon as the steering or pressure is applied to the brakes. You probably need a big set of :eek: to test it properly.

#17 ·
Thank you both dejott and Philn for your responses. Disappointing to see the comments by ChrisPBlackburn. I agree with Philn that the features like AEB or forward alert were not the only reason I bought a Discovery Sport but my decision I guess was swung when extras were standard in DS compared to competitive vehicles. Of course if you are at a dealership you will defend the brand. However LR must ensure all features fitted to the vehicle are in working order.

I have contacted two more dealerships for clarification. One of them told me AEB and Forward alert are standard for the vehicle and that they will work. Other dealership said for AEB to work you must have adaptive cruise control but Forward alert will work. None of them agreed to demonstrate these functions. I was told that unless you crash the vehicle you can't test. I have raised this with Jaguar Land Rover Australia and I had a reply on Friday. They say that my vehicle is fitted with AEB but not Forward alert even though my car has the option to activate Forward alert on the driving features. I will do a little more research before I reply to them.

Reason for my frustration is when my car was delivered new the dealer and the factory missed that Sat Nav was not working. Since I had a Jaguar XF before most of the functions were not demonstrated by the dealer saying it is same as my previous vehicle. When I brought the car home only I realized that Sat nav was not working at all and that DAB radio stations doesn't stay in the memory. I took the vehicle back to the dealership the following day and they kept the vehicle for 21 days to repair. Initially when I contacted Land Rover Australia they were trying to pass the responsibility to the dealership saying I have to deal with the dealership. The dealership was saying this is a warranty issue and Land Rover Australia is responsible. Eventually I wrote to the Managing Director, Land Rover Australia and now they have offered me some good will for the hassle that I faced. However they have failed to completely address the AEB and Forward alert issue as all answers are not conclusive.

I am beginning to wonder whether Land Rover don't want to admit that this function is not working without the adaptive cruise control since they advertised that AEB is a standard feature in LRD Sport as it may result in a vehicle recall.

#18 ·
LR need to answer two questions

1) What system was fitted to the NCAP test car
2) Why don't our cars demonstrate the same forward alert and braking as the NCAP test

LR customer services haven't answered these questions and they seem reluctant or are told not to answer them, all they do is copy and paste from the manual and refer us back to the dealers who seem to have as much information as we do.

By LR shutting down a thread on a site not owned by them and not giving full answers only leaves owners thinking something is not right, we need Mulder and Scully to find the truth.

For me also adding to the intrigue is that the XE is fitted with the same system but has not had a NCAP test, I wonder why?

#19 ·
Hi All,

I've pondered a bit before posting this due to all of the conversation that has gone on before BUT.

Driving home this evening along a quiet suburban street, I was overtaking a line of parked cars. As the road was quite narrow I was on the 'wrong' side of the road and was only doing about 20 - 25 mph. As I got towards the end of the line of cars, another vehicle approached from the opposite direction. We both continued - I was going to have passed the cars and be back on the left by the time we met. As I passed the last of the parked cars and pulled into the left - the approaching vehicle was reasonably close by this time but I don't think there was ever any risk of us colliding.

It happened.

4 rapid beeps and something flashed up in the message display on the dashboard. I was not quick enough to see the message and there was no evidence of any automatic braking. Could this have been the elusive audible and visual warning prior to the brakes automatically being applied.

Any thoughts.

Cheers

#22 ·
I get the beeps in exactly the same two places on my way home from work .... Both cars I approach are white .. and I am turning the steering wheel ... I don't get a visual warning just the beeps

#26 ·
The car is back at the dealer again for a few days ... will have a look when it comes back

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.