Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rain-sensitive wipers are so good that I have been leaving them on all the time. Indeed, by default, coz when the rain is stopping, the wiping stops, and I just don't realise they're still *on*.

Until...

Good job when I got to the carwash today the nice man sprayed the car with pre-treatment from his killaspray before I went into the maw, as that caused a quick wipe which reminded me to turn them off...

Let's be careful out there, people.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Beast said:
ccomley said:
The rain-sensitive wipers are so good that I have been leaving them on all the time. Indeed, by default, coz when the rain is stopping, the wiping stops, and I just don't realise they're still *on*.

Until...

Good job when I got to the carwash today the nice man sprayed the car with pre-treatment from his killaspray before I went into the maw, as that caused a quick wipe which reminded me to turn them off...

Let's be careful out there, people.
They are NOT a good idea and neither are automatic headlights.

As you have discovered, in the case of the first they will catch you out. Be thankful you were not approaching a bad bend in December when the sun is very low at say 15:30, you are driving straight into it and you have a dirty windscreen. If those wipers operate they will smear your windscreen and your vision for the bend will be totally obscured - for possibly long enough to lose control.

Likewise with headlights. Millions of journeys are made daily and sooner or later those lights will come on at dusk just as somebody is waiting to pull out of a side road ahead of a driver using them and misinterpret the lights coming on for an unofficial signal to pull out.

I'm old fashioned enough to know not to use either of these modern "improvements" and to use my own judgement. Neither feature has the slightest reason to exist and are accidents waiting to happen, They also mean the driver is not in control, and that's a fundamental safety weakness.

They are just another manifestation of manufacturers' constant craving to invent something "new" in the arms race between them. They are the most unnecessary and potentially dangerous things in the car and should be banned under Type Approval/ Construction & Use Regulations. Leave 'em switched off :twisted:
:lol: Can't believe you are complaining about the auto wipers and headlights. I would suggest you set aside all this new technology and also go back to paper maps and you won't need the Satnav with no place names. :lol:

·
Registered
677 Posts
I very much doubt someone will pull out, as the lights don't flash as they come on, there is a clear difference to lights being switched on and a flash.

·
Registered
677 Posts
If we all worried about what could happen we would never go out the front door.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Beast, I can see your point of the risks involved with these technologies, but you also need to balance the risk of not having them.
Easiest one is for auto lights - without them some people forget to turn them on and there is a risk of accident from that, so where does the biggest risk lie? Lights automatically coming on or forgetting to turn them on?

These days everyone is risk averse (health and safety gone mad!), so I am sure that all the manufacturers who have introduced these have gone through rigorous risk assessments and will have concluded at the very least that the risk of accident has not increased over the status quo. They will need to have done this in order to prevent those potential legal claims when the accident types you describe happen, as I agree they will on occasion.

At least the manufacturers have also decided that these features are not 'always on' and leave the decision of use down to the driver.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Beast said:
Well guys, thanks for your input, and of course you are all entitled to your opinions, as am I.

Mine however are based on the experience of some years investigating and dealing with accidents as a police officer, and training car, van and heavy truck drivers in advanced and defensive driving techniques in my business. That's how I tend to form my opinions, and after careful consideration of what potentially could happen - how about you? http://www.drivexcel.co.uk/

That doesn't mean you can't have your views, based on whatever experience you have, but I think I'd rather my grandchildren drove with someone else thank you :twisted: :twisted:

Incidentally, both those scenarios I describe above have been reported to me as actual incidents. OK, it may never happen to you in a long driving life, probably in excess of 50 years - I hope it doesn't - but it might.

A good chunk of my day is spent training drivers to avoid the accidents caused by the substantial proportion of idiots out there who think no further than their own windscreen and never consider what COULD happen. Inevitably, with millions of journeys undertaken each day, exactly what I describe is a racing certainty to somebody - I would prefer it isn't me.
With your vast Experiance how many accidents happen due to people using a Satnav? I am sure a lot more than auto wipers and headlights yet you would like to read place names on a small screen ............ :roll:

·
Registered
226 Posts
They are NOT a good idea and neither are automatic headlights.

As you have discovered, in the case of the first they will catch you out. Be thankful you were not approaching a bad bend in December when the sun is very low at say 15:30, you are driving straight into it and you have a dirty windscreen. If those wipers operate they will smear your windscreen and your vision for the bend will be totally obscured - for possibly long enough to lose control.
Be thankful next time you are approaching a bad bend in December in dusk, and you hit an unseen body of mucky water on the nearside causing your vision to momentarily be obscured. Thankfully, whilst your brain is still in that moment of surprise, your auto-wipe will come in and calmly clear the windscreen, which might just make enough difference for you not to lose control. Of course potential accidents that get prevented in such a way, never get reported to anyone.

Likewise with headlights. Millions of journeys are made daily and sooner or later those lights will come on at dusk just as somebody is waiting to pull out of a side road ahead of a driver using them and misinterpret the lights coming on for an unofficial signal to pull out.
What, and no one has EVER manually turned their lights on in this scenario ? Anyone making a decision solely based on seeing lights flashing is as fault, never mind lights just coming on !

The better answer is to leave headlights on at all times, I thought that was supposed to coming in at some point.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tangey said:
The better answer is to leave headlights on at all times, I thought that was supposed to coming in at some point.
That is in effect why you now have DRLs. As you do have DLRs you won't see legislation saying your headlights should also be on.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Beast said:
ccomley said:
tangey said:
That is in effect why you now have DRLs. As you do have DLRs you won't see legislation saying your headlights should also be on.
Quite so M'Lud.

It's not legally possible to be driving a new vehicle without at least front lights, and, in the case of the DS - and very sensibly in my opinion - rear ones too.
Sadly this means even more idiots who won't put dipped lights on in fog, though.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Beast said:
True enough but at least they do have some very bright lights at the front, unlike before. You can't legislate for idiots sadly.

I actually stopped people in fog - at least when it was possible to do it without making the danger even worse - and their attitude was often incredible. It was almost as though they thought it was costing them money to switch their lights on.
indeed. Well, it does - you need a TINY amount more petrol to power the lights. But still mad. And the ones who turn the side-lights on (like that does anything useful) and then don't go all the way to headlights, so it's clearly a conscious decision NOT to go to headlights - which should be prosecuted IMHO.

Doubt DLRs will make for much better visibility in fog either but dunno.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.