Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
finally got round to trying it with a hour to spare and a quiet street. Out of about half a dozen tries a couple worked well, one was left a foot out from kerb, one reversed into the pavement and a couple it said space too small when it wasnt IMO. Can do much better myself.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Interested to hear of your experience Mike. Do you have any thoughts about what may have contributed to the inconsistency in this exercise ? Still to carry out this experiment myself.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi

Since getting my car on Tuesday, Ive used the Parallel Park in two live situations - its worked as intended both times. Although I can manually parallel park, it did get into a space which I would normally consider too small/stressing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Had a DS for a few hours today so spent some time playing with this, worked very well and the perpendicular parking was particularly impressive onto my driveway, tight to get in with a fence and bushes either side nothing very solid as between two cars, and a narrow turn in as cars parked opposite.
You do have to concentrate on the instructions though (duh!), with the parking sensors there is lots of beeping going on and at one point I missed the instruction to stop coming up and nearly clobbered the car behind, as I kept going rather then stopped it quit out of assisted park which was a little surprising. It's quite disconcerting at first and I was convinced it was going to scrape down the side of one car whilst parallel parking as not used to the size of the vehicle yet. But to be fair it got it spot on every time.

I did have one small moment when trying out the exit space, I was parked up on the opposite side of the road (driver side nearest curb) and tried the exit space but forgot to signal as to which side and it tried to take me out onto the pavement.

All in all, only problems were user error but I only tried 5 or 6 manoeuvres. Wife was really happy as she's coming from a cooper S and I'm quite happy to use when spaces are tight, and will certainly help my OCD :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Had a DS for a few hours today so spent some time playing with this, worked very well and the perpendicular parking was particularly impressive onto my driveway, tight to get in with a fence and bushes either side nothing very solid as between two cars, and a narrow turn in as cars parked opposite.
You can press the button at the foot of the drive and it parks? Whenever I try this function it always wants to reverse park ( i.e. in a supermarket ) but only when it can find another car to reverse next to. How do you do this?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
It was a feature on the loan car that went back today - not one I was ever tempted to play with.

·
Registered
36 Posts
cinda said:
You can press the button at the foot of the drive and it parks? Whenever I try this function it always wants to reverse park ( i.e. in a supermarket ) but only when it can find another car to reverse next to. How do you do this?
as philn says it's only reverse.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Having had my car for almost 4 months, today was the first time attempting to use park assist. My target was a very tight parallel parking space and I am pleased to say that it performed way beyond my expectations. Everything including instructions spot on and a very clean operation leaving me 3 - 4 inches from the kerb. Couldn't be happier :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
I can only agree with the people above (including the other page ;) )

During our test drive we did it a few times and it was absolutly not working, until you read the manual and it parked in spaces where I would normally not park by myself. It's not the fastest way, but it works.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I tried on my very first day, and followed 100% the advice of the sales person: do not touch the wheel!

Worked perfectly, i was really impressed. I am still to try on small parking spaces though

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.