Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just now and again the auto box hesitates for a moment from stationary. I think I then press the accelerator harder because nothing is happening and then find myself charging off in "kick down". No doubt I will learn to not make this "mistake" but any comments on avoiding it would be welcome.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've noticed that too, although not every time. Haven't worked out under what circumstances it happens, but I'll pay more attention now you've put the thought in my mind.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm pretty sure it will not happen from a full standing start, it happened to me joining a roundabout, (I was possibly still rolling, stop/start was off) I may go back to same place and see if I can replicate it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm finding it difficult to get used to the auto after driving a manual for the last 20 years. Mine is very hesitant at junctions and roundabouts, takes a second or two to find a gear and start moving and meanwhile I will be rolling in to traffic. In one scary experience this week nothing happened at all for almost three seconds - doesn't sound like long but an eternity when a lorry is bearing down on you.....It's very smooth going up gears but I find that after slowing down (for instance going round corners) it always seems to select a very low gear when I start speeding up again, causing high revs and a bit of a 'whine'.
I'll keep trying to get used to it but right now I'd choose a manual next time!

·
Registered
166 Posts
At the moment I drive a car that is supposed to learn how you drive and adapt... Anyway, I don't race around but have found sometimes that when I want it to get a shift on, it doesn't so have found myself going into sport mode and then it is an entirely different beast with the gearbox, faster changes, faster throttle response etc. I didn't have a problem on the DS test drive and only one small play on the sport mode, but does Land Rover also adapt to how you have been driving previously?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did a reasonably long drive yesterday without any problems, I suspect I have adjusted subconciously to the issue. On the low gear after a bend, it is quite keen to "get going", you have to really soft pedal to get it to relax, maybe try eco mode? In general i'm finding i usually have more ready power on tap than with the manual freelander due to all those gears. On the original issue its quite likely i'm applying a little power when coasting up to a roundabout so its not taken by surprise when I go instead of stop. I wondering if its in the middle of making mutiple down shifts as you slow to a stop and then isnt ready for a load of throttle? Not at all sure but I seem to be getting used to it anyway.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I have not notice the hesitation issue, It does seem to adjust to your way of driving, drive briskly for a bit and it seems livelier.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Gearbox hesitation which is also reported in many reviews might be caused by occasionally shifting down to first gear. 9 speed automatic normally drives off in 2nd gear yet uses 1st gear in terrain modes and with (almost) full throttle. Seems the more power you apply at a roundabout the longer it takes to "launch". RICA mapping on my RR Evoque completely solved this issue

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have been driving Auto on FL2For a few years and now the DS, I am used to this now but still get the problem occasionally. If you approach a roundabout expecting to stop and suddenly change your mind and stick your boot in! The auto box delays while it goes from changing down the gears to suddenly having to go up the gears. It is somthing to get used to then you can avoid the situation that leads to it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.