Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering when there will be some real-life feedback on the new engine with performance comments and real-world fuel economy. My order is placed but still interested in what I can look forward to :)

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Hi Chris,

I can't imagine that anyone has been able to try it yet. I was at my dealers yesterday (southern Germany) to firm up my order but no indication that he'd supplied any vehicles with new engine.

Forum member Charles did mention a while ago that the old engine is better than the new but I suspect that's a viewpoint not based on actually trying it.

I'm certainly as keen as you are to hear other members comments but fear I'll have to wait a while.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks gents - the old engine (not Euro 6) cannot be registered after 1 September but I thought that since the engine has been in prototypes (DS and Jaguar XE) for some time, there might be the odd one in dealer hands and since they can be sold at anytime (don't have to wait for September if they have early engines, somebody is going to be the first pubic owner! The Halewood engine and final line tooling and fixtures will change during the summer shutdown which is what they did with the body tooling and assembly lines last July when Freelander stopped production.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Chris b said:
Thanks gents - the old engine (not Euro 6) cannot be registered after 1 September but I thought that since the engine has been in prototypes (DS and Jaguar XE) for some time, there might be the odd one in dealer hands and since they can be sold at anytime (don't have to wait for September if they have early engines, somebody is going to be the first pubic owner! The Halewood engine and final line tooling and fixtures will change during the summer shutdown which is what they did with the body tooling and assembly lines last July when Freelander stopped production.
I don't think it is a case of Euro 5 engines not allowed to be registered after 01/09 but rather not allowed being manufactured.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
According to my understanding Euro 5 engines can certainly still be built and sold in vehicles in those countries where the regulations still allow it.

Clearly JLR need to have the most modern engines in their vehicles if they are to succeed in the market.

Interestingly enough their have placed a full page advert towards the front part of the latest issue of the major German auto magazine (Auto Motor & Sport) just talking about this very fact i.e. very modern, lighter, more efficient and cleaner engines.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Chippy911 said:
According to my understanding Euro 5 engines can certainly still be built and sold in vehicles in those countries where the regulations still allow it.

Clearly JLR need to have the most modern engines in their vehicles if they are to succeed in the market.

Interestingly enough their have placed a full page advert towards the front part of the latest issue of the major German auto magazine (Auto Motor & Sport) just talking about this very fact i.e. very modern, lighter, more efficient and cleaner engines.
I would reckon that all of the EU is the same, i.e. only Euro 6 can be imported.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Euro 6 is all about new type approvals (i.e. entirely new models) from 1 September 2014 and date of all new registrations (not manufacture). All new cars registered from 1st September 2015 must comply with Euro 6 even if built beforehand. The current DS (DW12) 2.2L engine does not comply.

See http://www.smmt.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/Euro-dates.jpg

·
Registered
109 Posts
The Ingenium engine (apparently) wont be available for test drives until 16 Sept. I was in my dealer this week and even they have no more information than that!

·
Registered
741 Posts
IanH said:
The Ingenium engine (apparently) wont be available for test drives until 16 Sept. I was in my dealer this week and even they have no more information than that!
Well, could be quite quiet for new registrations from JLR in Septmeber then with a 65 plate :?: :?: :?:

·
Registered
172 Posts
IanH said:
Really? I should hopefully have mine before that as my dealer has told me my build date is the 26th August.
It would be really daft of LR not to get some early release models out to dealers for test drives.

·
Super Moderator
2,833 Posts
I ordered couple of weeks ago with delivery arranged 1st September :cool:

·
Registered
829 Posts
Just go to a Jaguar dealer to testdrive a XE 2.0 Ingenium diesel... DS demos MY2016 arrive mid August at NL dealers

·
Registered
829 Posts
5 stars!!

What's the Jaguar XE 2.0d 180 like to drive?
Not a single excuse is needed. The XE delivers. It's a great drive, with depth and ability across the board, has a front-running diesel engine, a modern-era infotainment system and plenty of surprise discoveries that delight and satisfy in equal measure.

The engine first: with the prototype, we were worried that, while smooth, it was maybe a bit too vocal and gruff. It's cured here: apart from a bit of tickover shimmy, the all-new engine is very refined and easily a match for the new 2.0-litre diesel in the BMW; as such, it also topples Audi's 2.0-litre TDI and the clattery, aged 2.1-litre Bluetec in the Mercedes-Benz. It revs particularly sweetly, with little diesel drone, and step-on response to the accelerator is both swift and smooth. We're pleased to report how cultured and sweet it is.

It's quick, posting 0-62mph in 7.4 seconds, and 317lb ft of torque gives it guts. It blends particularly well with the smooth, satisfying eight-speed auto option, but also works nicely with the six-speed manual, the same ZF gearbox as used by BMW. With a meaty clutch, positive action and mechanical feel, the stubby lever's action will please the enthusiasts.

The diesel engine is, to our relief, thoroughly on the money, which it had to be given the improvements BMW's found in its new generation 2.0-litre 190hp unit. Again, both are clear of the competition here (Mercedes-Benz needs to take a serious look at that oil-burner of its, and soon).

http://www.motoringresearch.com/car-reviews/jaguar-xe-2-0d-180-review-2015-first-drive-0630972687

·
Registered
829 Posts
We didn't quite make it to Siena on one tank. It was disappointing, but given the type of roads we'd been travelling on for much of the journey, perhaps not surprising. The amount of fuel used by that point worked out at almost 47 litres - the equivalent of one tank in the 163PS diesel XE - or just over 10 gallons. The distance: 1038km or 645 miles.

That equates to 60.9mpg, which is actually pretty good for a car of this size and power output, and not so far from the official combined fuel consumption figure (67.3mpg) to be unhappy about. and 645 miles is more than 1000km, so at least we achieved a metric 'mille'.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/comment/2015-05/real-mpg-challenge-can-the-jaguar-xe-cover-1000-miles-on-one-tank-of-fuel/

The ability for a 180bhp Ingenium 2.0 Jaguar XE to average 60.9MPG is very impressive! Given DS on 20" wheels in "worst" 7 seater automatic spec is 139gr CO2 and this Jaguar 109gr CO2, it equates to 47,8MPG real world performance on a DS. I would be extremely happy with that given my RR Evoque 2.2 TD4 struggled to get better than 35MPG fuel efficiency

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.