Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my DS just one week ago - still in honeymoon phase with it!

Here in the US, the Disco only comes with a 2 liter turbo engine manufactured by Ford. IMO the only weakness that I discovered so far. It is okay, does its job, sometimes acts a little funny with coming out too strong when it shouldn't and missing power when it should. Well, Ford heritage, what else is to say. It will wear out with the new engines.

Other than that, I love that car. Super road handling - especially important with all those potholes here and the winding up/downhill roads in the Pennsylvanian hills. Can't believe I ever say this, but I really can't wait to drive that car in the snow.

Is anybody else here willing to share their experiences with the US model?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hi, I'm in US, Los Angeles to be exact. been driving my US launch edition since end of April. I think it's the turbo lag in many reviews I read that you've described. my experience is that it jumps from a low gear to high gear without smooth transition when pressing on gas relatively aggressive. it doesn't really bother me to be honest. love the car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I guess it is the turbo lag. The more I drive, the better I am in control of it. Remembers me of the first few days driving a V8 Hemi engine Durango. I almost ruined the house when backing into the garage the first day :) Thank goodness we got rid of that old gas guzzler... I totally love my new DS too!

·
Registered
13 Posts
We've had our DS for about 3 weeks now, and don't notice the 'lag' anymore. Not sure if the DS has 'learned' a better tune, or if it's just trained us to go easy on the throttle. Just noticed the other day that there is an option to enable flappy-paddle use in both 'D' and 'S' modes. Anyone tried using that for those 'sudden impulses'? Seems the tranny and the computer try to keep the engine revs low, which is where the turbo has the least effect. I used the flappy-paddles in 'S' mode and response seemed pretty pretty snappy as long as the revs are up.

Corris/Cirrus in FL

·
Registered
270 Posts
kenkros said:
We've had our DS for about 3 weeks now, and don't notice the 'lag' anymore. Not sure if the DS has 'learned' a better tune, or if it's just trained us to go easy on the throttle. Just noticed the other day that there is an option to enable flappy-paddle use in both 'D' and 'S' modes. Anyone tried using that for those 'sudden impulses'? Seems the tranny and the computer try to keep the engine revs low, which is where the turbo has the least effect. I used the flappy-paddles in 'S' mode and response seemed pretty pretty snappy as long as the revs are up.

Corris/Cirrus in FL
I had it set to D+S and tried the flappy paddles the other day, then couldn't figure out how to turn them off again (probably should have read about it before trying it in traffic). I've since changed it to just be in S mode since I'll probably rarely use it anyway.

·
Registered
232 Posts
What I would give for a petrol engined DS.....

They build them in RHD, build them here in the country where I live. They even build them to order making for long delivery times but with the benefit of lots of spec options.

Black roof? Certainly. Internet? No problem. The list goes on.

Petrol engine? No chance.

My Freelander was the same.

I had a 2.3 litre 256 BHP petro Mazda CX-7 SUV. When I wanted a new one, it was diesel only despite Japan, USA Oz etc all getting it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I find the petrol engine to be decent. The auto transmission could be improved a bit. S mode is okay when accelerating from stationary, but really lags when I need a sudden acceleration while cruising. I think the transmission hangs on high gear (low RPM) too much in S mode. Compared to my previous VW (not DSG), my VW used to switch to lower gear more eagerly in S mode when slowing down, so the power comes back much quicker when needed. Sure I can get around this with paddle shifters, but I expect S mode to be better.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
yserman said:
Here in the US, the Disco only comes with a 2 liter turbo engine manufactured by Ford. IMO the only weakness that I discovered so far. It is okay, does its job, sometimes acts a little funny with coming out too strong when it shouldn't and missing power when it should. Well, Ford heritage, what else is to say. It will wear out with the new engines.
?
Welcome.

I assume you have a petrol engine, whereas in the UK only diesel. (Also ford - duratorq 2.2)

The problem you describe I think you'll find is attributable to the gearbox not changing down soon enough, so when you DO put the power on, you end up waiting for it to change before it really kicks in. Then it comes too hard coz you've put your foot down. The only solution I've found to it so far is to use the paddles - change down as you approach a junction or obstacle so (a) you get engine breaking as you slow, saving fuel and (b) you're in the RIGHT gear when you go back on the loud pedal so you don't need to wait for it to change. As soon as you get going again just hold the right paddle in, you get an upshift at once, you keep holding it until it shows "D" again and it takes it back on auto for the speeding-up part of things, which it seems fine for.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Oh, and... Turbo lag? In a modern engine? *incredibly* unlikely. OK, I'm not going to go into details about all the features of a modern induction system but if there's turbo lag I'll eat my hat!! 99% likely the only issue is the gearbox being slow to down change as discussed in many places. (And doubly damned that it still delays downchaning far to long in "sport" mode. )

·
Registered
64 Posts
ccomley said:
As soon as you get going again just hold the right paddle in, you get an upshift at once, you keep holding it until it shows "D" again and it takes it back on auto for the speeding-up part of things, which it seems fine for.
The transmission will also change back automatically to D mode if you don't use the paddles for a few seconds. You have to change it back manually in S mode.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
elysio said:
ccomley said:
As soon as you get going again just hold the right paddle in, you get an upshift at once, you keep holding it until it shows "D" again and it takes it back on auto for the speeding-up part of things, which it seems fine for.
The transmission will also change back automatically to D mode if you don't use the paddles for a few seconds. You have to change it back manually in S mode.
Ah - good to know - not found S particularly useful as it isn't good *enough* to stop me using the paddles. Sometimes it does go back to "D" too quicly for me, I'll try it in "S" and see if manual works a bit better for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.