Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of getting the Disco Sport - in fact, it's currently #1 on the list though I'm not sure between SE Tech and HSE - but I just wanted to see if there were any ex-Evoque owners as my wife likes the look of the baby Range Rover (not that she's driving whatever I get for a little while!). Just wondering what made you change to the DS and what the advantages/disadvantages of the change have been? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I didn't have an Evoque but I did consider one. The most significant differences are

- the DS is a bit longer, this gives it room for a third row of seats but...
- most significantly, the SECOND row of seats has room for full sized adults in comfort.

·
Registered
265 Posts
We switched from an Evoque to a DS principally because we wanted a larger car with more luggage room. The DS suits us perfectly and has pretty well the same amount of space as a RR Sport we hired but at £25k less. Additionally we have a car that handles and rides better than the Evoque, is more economic and has the 9 speed gearbox over the 6 speed in our 3 year old Evoque.
Tim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi from Spain: I've just changed my Evoque for the DS. Although I like the Evoque So far I decided to moved to DS due to the space, mainly if you have 3 children. I am so glad now because We are more confortable and the DS looks like the Evoque, so similar!!! I recommend this change if your are looking for extra space!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Like ccomley, I did consider an evoque. Even test drove one for an extended time. Wasn't big enough for my requirements. Plus again like ccomley, I agree the second row seats comfortably fit adults while driver and passenger are comfortable. In the evoque found adults in the back said it was just too cramped. Wouldn't be a concern with small children I guess.

Discovery Sport won hands down for me.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It really really depends on your needs.
The evoque is a bit prettier and more stilish than the DS.
But, man, it's so small inside, so small.
If you have family with children, the evo is too small (luggage room in particular)

I'd go for the disco.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Had 2 x RRE. DS drives like a steel sprung RRE, feels massively bigger as you sit higher in the car (suddenly X5's, XC90's don't seem to dwarf you! Fit finish, controls etc are all the same. Not as stylish (in some eyes at least) but whilst I am the biggest fan in the world of the RRE when you get a DS you will realise just howm much space compromise there is for its beautiful style.

In 5 seat mode and the middle row pushed right back it is massive in the back (think Skoda Superb levels of leg room!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, think that's settled it for me, I'm taking the Evoque out of my deliberations though I'll probably test drive one just because. Now to decide between the SE Tech and the HSE, as well as between auto and manual...

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Auto is brilliant as long as you don't plan on doing fast getaways, buy the dearest you can afford if you get the se tech you may wish you bought the HSE but if you buy the HSE I doubt you would wish you had bought the se tech.

No disrespect meant to se tech owners just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Ollie W said:
Thanks guys, think that's settled it for me, I'm taking the Evoque out of my deliberations though I'll probably test drive one just because. Now to decide between the SE Tech and the HSE, as well as between auto and manual...
For me, the HSE over the SE had toys I wanted and was prepared to pay for - wasn't paying the extra for a "lux" tho.

I'm a long-time manual fan but was persuaded by the boss to go auto. She's OK with manual but had trouble reaching to put the clutch right out on the Disco2. She has a Merc now and their 7-speed auto is *fab* and even I don't hate it. The ZF9 is *not* as refined as the merc box, and I find I get cross with it from time to time - but the paddles to over-ride are very easy to get the hang of and the machine knows who's in charge!!

As the boss decreed, despite my original intent to test-drive both, I never tried the manual. I heard someone say the box is a bit notchy, but I bet it's at least as good as the old R380!!

·
Registered
829 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I currently have a Evoque but only as long as it takes to get the DS delivered., (Sept?)
Problems with the Evoque are mainly down to seats and ride comfort. We have a Pure Tech and there is very little movement with the passenger seat.
My wife is quite small in stature but certainly not abnormally so but, she can't see over the dash. As I do almost all the driving I don't get that problem, the drivers seat does have electric height adjustment which is adequate but when I do travel as a passenger even I find the available height adjustment (manual) less that that good. We have had to buy a Halfords cushion which works well enough but who wants to have to buy a bloody cushion
The ride in the Evoque is hard, too hard. I have owned a few Freelanders, a couple of the older (larger), Discos none of which had hard rides, not as hard as the Evoque anyway.
We first bought the Evoque over a new Freelander because my wife liked the look of it and she always gets two votes over my one, she's sorry now. And so am I, two years later, we are having to shell out a lot of cash to buy a new DS. After a long test drive we find the DS much better. Now all I have to worry about is how good is the new 2lt engine-gear box?

Ray
I should add that some other Evoques, with a higher spec. than the Pure Tech do have electric passenger seats so they will probably have better vision, so don't drop the Evoque without a test drive and a shortish passenger!

Also to be noted is that Evoques a now very very common.!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.