Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has happened to me now every time I am taking a longer journey:
After 20-30 minutes of driving the air-con starts blowing cooled air inside the cabin for a few minutes. I can't change that by turning the knobs or pushing the switches.
This happens every time even when the A/C is switched off and the temperature setting is well above the ambient temperature.

Has anyone had similar experience and can it be corrected by the dealer?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Nope. I never use the "auto" button or "max a/c" button because both to stupid things but other than that it has always behaved in a predictable manner, i.e. whatever you set the knobs for, it does.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you ever find out how the system works please let me know. Have now had car 5 months and still am unable to understand how the a/c and climate works! We also drive an old MX5 and it has a hot/cold slider a knob for the fan and a/c button if cooling required brilliant

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Jiohns said:
If you ever find out how the system works please let me know. Have now had car 5 months and still am unable to understand how the a/c and climate works! We also drive an old MX5 and it has a hot/cold slider a knob for the fan and a/c button if cooling required brilliant
Well, *ignoring* the "max a/c" and "auto" buttons, which appear to have been designed by the sales dept and do not IMHO do anything useful in the real world, then it's pretty simple.

A/C on/off button decides if you have cooling available. (With it, you can cool or heat. Without it, you use a bit less fuel, but can only heat the air. a/c also *dries* the air so even in colder weather you may need it to help demist).

Then you have three knobs. One for temp for left side of car, one for temp for right side, and one for fan speed. Adjust as you prefer. Remembering that you can only *lower* the temperature from ambient if a/c is on.

Finally if you tape the button for air distribution, instead of just changing it it takes to a stupid touch-screen menu which does what the button itself used to do, but with pretty pictures. It also implies you can have distribution different on left and right side of car but you can't.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Moose said:
ccomley said:
Jiohns said:
by the sales dept and do not IMHO do anything useful in the real world,
That's a universal statement that can be applied to anything anywhere :lol:
I know what you mean. But, specifically, "Max A/C" switches the blower to full speed, and shuts the footwell vents, so you get ALL the cold air in the face. That's great if you want the user to say "wow - what a lot of cold air, that max a/c button is fab". This is a tool for the salesman to wow you when you're doing your test drive or for reviewers who just try things out for ten seconds but never think things through. Not much help for you or I.

But your feet stay warm. Fastest way to cool the entire cabin is to blast cold air into the footwells (feetwells?) and then crack the window a little - warm air rises, you help it out by providing cold air for it to rise above AND somewhere for it to go. OK, so I can see some users may not want the max a/c button to open the window but it should NOT turn off the footwell vents.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
An update to my original post.
The dealer could fix this by "re-calibrating" the air conditioning.
This and the rear seat rattle are the two faults I have been able to pinpoint in my DS and both have been fixed by my dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, have you been able to figure out what's happening?
I have the same problem with my Discovery's Sport AC. If I have my AC turned off and AUTO also turned off, my AC would start blowing cold air even though I clearly have it turned off.
Is there a sensor inside the car which detects humidity and moisture and automatically turns on the AC overriding the comands?

Thank you!

·
Administrator
2016 DS HSE Auto Gas/petrol
712 Posts
Just driven over 1000 km in tempertures averaging 37 c and at one point 43 c and the auto setting works as it should. I did close the sunroof blind to help.

If you are having problems turn the blower speed dial to the off posistion and then turn it back on and it will be on full manually mode.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.