Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just a quick FYI for any of you who have your cars and have found the air con to be a little 'weak'.

I've had my car nearly two weeks, but for a week of that I was down with a vomiting bug so I wasn't driving it. Anyway, the car got a lot of use over the Easter weekend and my wife and I became concerned over the air-con. On Friday in the wet, with three of us in the car we steamed up terribly (no dodgy jokes please!), and I had to 'max' the air-con intermittently to clear the windows. Then over the weekend with four in the car it felt 'close', like there wasn't enough air being circulated.

Tuesday I was back at work, just me in the car driving around London in the lovely sunshine. It was 18C outside, but from inside the car it felt more like 28C, and try as I might I couldn't really cool it down, or shake the feeling there just wasn't enough air. There was cold air coming out of the vents but only very softly, even when I cranked everything up to max and the fan sounded 'full on' there remained very little air flow. I was wondering if it was just me, and that this was how a new, efficient, dare I say it 'environmentally friendly' air-con system worked, but I thought I'd get it checked anyway.

So this morning I rang Guy Salmon Thames Ditton, and fair play to them they told me to bring it straight in. First things first, you probably didn't know this but the air-con in the new DS doesn't use traditional refrigeration gases, apparently the system is propane based - Yes, it was news to me too!

Anyway, they took a look at the car while I waited and confirmed that, yes, the air-con was very weak. They had it straight in (again while I waited) and fixed within half an hour.

Apparently there are two fans in the system, and for some reason at the factory mine had only been programmed to operate using one fan, so it was a software issue, easily fixed. My car is now as cool as the proverbial cucumber, and a much nicer place to be.

So, many thanks to Guy Salmon Thames Ditton for another swift 'while I wait' fix to a teething problem.

And if any other forum members are feeling disappointed by your air-con systems, you might want to get them checked.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Great tip, thanks. I'm building a list of the niggles that are reported on here, to check when we take delivery.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Hello mattrix, thanks for the very informative contribution. Always good to hear about this sort of problem and how quickly it can be sorted provided, of course, that you have a cooperative dealer.

·
Registered
677 Posts
My one was weak, but it had been put on eco setting.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Mine seems fine. Only thing I noticed was when it was cold and raining and the engine did auto shut off each time I became stationary in traffic, it would quickly mist a little at the bottom of the screen, but instantly cleared as the engine restarted. As the aircon and blower is shut off, it's only natural. First time I've had stop/start, so it was a new experience.

·
Registered
53 Posts
On a vaguely related subject; has anyone else noticed that the vents don't point very high?

I've a big beard and even in LR's wind tunnel I'd feel nothing from the nose down; so when driving tired I like to have cold air on my cheeks and forehead.

The only way I've found to achieve this in the DS is to drop the driver's seat to the lowest point and peer out over the dash through the steering wheel.

Maybe it's just me...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi Mattrix thanks for the post. My DS is booked in to have the air con fixed next week after I too realised it just didn't feel cold at all even when on max A/C. I'll pass on this info to the service guys so that they can quickly make the repair, along with the missing bonnet bump stops and squeaks from the passenger side. Only a week old and in for work already I hope that these are the only niggles.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Jpb_uk said:
Hi Mattrix thanks for the post. My DS is booked in to have the air con fixed next week after I too realised it just didn't feel cold at all even when on max A/C. I'll pass on this info to the service guys so that they can quickly make the repair, along with the missing bonnet bump stops and squeaks from the passenger side. Only a week old and in for work already I hope that these are the only niggles.
Just to let you know that DS was in today to get the air con fixed. Seems like it is a know issue and that there is a builtin to cover it ' air conditioning inoperative low gas 1234yf', bump stops weren't fitted today which was disappointing as the part wasn't ordered. not to worry the DS is booked in again anyways to get a 4 wheel alignment done as the steering is off straight from the factory.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts