Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Does the air con come on even if you don't press the A/C button ?

I'm one of those people who rarely uses the AC unless it's really hot and then I turn it off once the interior has cooled down.
I noticed on the DS sometimes it feels as if the AC is on even if it is not turned on manually, ie: air coming out of the vents very much cooler than the outside ambient temperature.

After a 200 mile trip today with no AC on the DS dumped a load of water underneath on arrival at the Hotel, is this normal ??? :?

Also find opening the window a bit confuses the climate control quite considerably in what temperature air it pumps out of the vents.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I know because mine went wrong and made a noise, that if the air con is switched off by the button inside after a short time period maybe 30 sec if with stop pumping the fluid around

·
Registered
172 Posts
srdsol said:
the DS dumped a load of water underneath
Yes for AC or climate control.

Not read the brochure or manual and can't right now, but have you got climate control on as this does use the AC system plus a load of other sensors.
AC is a dumb blast in cold air and mix with some warm air to acheive the temperature you want, meaning you will find yourself adjusting the temperature setting a lot.
Climate control on the otherhand uses a load of sensors to constanatly adjust thew air mix to keep the temperature constant.
Theres an article here http://www.raccars.co.uk/news/article/2343/what-is-the-difference-between-air-con-and-climate-control you can read about the differences.

·
Registered
741 Posts
srdsol said:
Hi All,
Does the air con come on even if you don't press the A/C button ?

I'm one of those people who rarely uses the AC unless it's really hot and then I turn it off once the interior has cooled down.
I noticed on the DS sometimes it feels as if the AC is on even if it is not turned on manually, ie: air coming out of the vents very much cooler than the outside ambient temperature.

After a 200 mile trip today with no AC on the DS dumped a load of water underneath on arrival at the Hotel, is this normal ??? :?

Also find opening the window a bit confuses the climate control quite considerably in what temperature air it pumps out of the vents.
It shouldn't, but I have noticed on mine that when you press AUTO (ie for climate control) and then press the A/c button the light by the auto goes off. When we collected the car it had been stood in the sun and so the black dash board was radiating massive heat in the car as was the glass from the open roof blind. The car to an age to cool down with the climate set to 19c AUTO A/C on. Next day when playing with the car I pressed the settings button on the climate screen tab and found out one can set the sensitivity of the auto-recycling and how much power the AUTO setting will pump out the cold air! Mine was on minimum so I quicly changed to maximum. WTF JLR, stop making stuff too complicated for no reason. It is perfectly reasonable to hit AUTO and ket the car get to the temp as quickly as possible and then reduce the blower speed to maintain - this is what mine does now.

My tip would be to check the A/C settings first to make sure the sytsem is doing what you want before it goes back to the stealers?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well l am going to add to this chat by saying how bad the air con is in the DS, in all my previous cars when you press Auto, that was the climate control bit, the car temp would go up or down depending on what temperature you set. As a rule the temp would get there without blowing your head off or anything like, In the DS the middle vents are always blowing air, yes l know l can turn them off in setting, but in the car world, as a rule on a very hot day the wind screen should be getting the air, not my mug shot. Climate Control is a luxury you are not supposed to notice, the temp should go up or down in a silent manor, Another cock up by TaTa or JLR
regards
tony

·
Registered
741 Posts
merctony said:
Well l am going to add to this chat by saying how bad the air con is in the DS,
I thought this driving around on the collection day as described in my last post. Changing the settings to Max on Auto has made it alot better as it now blasts to get it cold and then reduces power to keep the temp ticking over?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Rogerone said:
you are 100% right, all the air coming from the middle vents is really annoying, it's very noisy too.
I cannot work this one out either,To me there should be no reason for a strong blast of air out of the vents if the Aircon and fan are off, mine are now half shut.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Good post Beast, mines working fine too, no noisier than any other aircon system if you ask me.

I usually blast temp up or down quickly depending on what I want, then turn it off.

Never really worried about fuel consumption due to aircon usage, if it got you an extra mile per tank for example, I'd rather be comfortable and lose a mile!

·
Registered
381 Posts
It's a hot day here in the UK and my AC is rubbish. There is cool air coming out of the vents and the fans are at high speed but even after 10 mins or so the fans are still blasting away and the car has hardly cooled down.

I suspect my system is under gassed as the temp of the air from the vents is only cool not really cold, the system is set to 21dec C, auto and high under the climate settings. All other cars I've had after 5 mins or so the fan speed will start dropping and so will the temp in the car.

Something else for the dealer to check when it goes in next week.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Beast said:
Discoloz said:
It's a hot day here in the UK and my AC is rubbish. There is cool air coming out of the vents and the fans are at high speed but even after 10 mins or so the fans are still blasting away and the car has hardly cooled down.

I suspect my system is under gassed as the temp of the air from the vents is only cool not really cold, the system is set to 21dec C, auto and high under the climate settings. All other cars I've had after 5 mins or so the fan speed will start dropping and so will the temp in the car.

Something else for the dealer to check when it goes in next week.
No - it's a software fault I think you will find. Mine was the same and was fixed very easily by the dealer - it's not uncommon
there was a batch with low gas, mine was one - early on - March /early April deliveries

·
Registered
193 Posts
If you need the cabin to cool down quickly, then press the AC Max it will set LO (that is the next setting below 16.c) and turn on the cabin re-circulation air to match the auto air flow setting in the climate configuration, (Low, Medium or High) I find this a bit to cold, so tend to go for the 16.c setting and I have set my auto air flow to medium, I then manual turn on cabin re-circulation air or manual turn down the air flow if needed, another point to remember, if you select the eco driving mode, then the AC is toned down a bit, and irrespective of your setting, the auto air flow is set to Low until normal driving mode is re-selected. Using a digital temperature probe (as used in food temperature recording) I get just above 4.c from the middle centre vents when on Max AC, Auto, with cabin re-circulation on, this was today with OAT at about 27.c and took it about 5/6 mins to achieve, I think that is quite acceptable!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.