Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pete, can you confirm the following please,
1) All discovery sport models are equipped with autonomous emergency braking
2) All discovery sport models are equipped with emergency brake assist.

How would an owner test or get confirmation that the autonomous emergency braking is in full working order.

Thanks.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hi Charles,

The Discovery Sport is supplied with Emergency Brake Assist (EBA) and should any concerns be present the vehicle will display a brake warning light.

All models fitted with cruise control feature Advanced Emergency Brake Assist as well as Intelligent Emergency Braking (IEB) and should these systems become unavailable or encounter a concern, you will also have a light illuminate to advise.

Should you however have any cause for concern with your vehicle, I would always advise visiting your local Land Rover retailer for assistance.

Hope this helps, if you do require more information, do not hesitate to contact me.

Many thanks,
Pete

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Pete

Can you confirm that advanced emergency brake assist is what is referred to in the LR handbook as autonomous emergency braking and the cars brakes automatically for the driver.

Can you also inform as to what intelligent emergency braking is.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
philn said:
Pete

Can you confirm that advanced emergency brake assist is what is referred to in the LR handbook as autonomous emergency braking and the cars brakes automatically for the driver.

Can you also inform as to what intelligent emergency braking is.
Pete,
Agree with philn, you are now using different referances which now confuses the issue even more.

Regards
Charles

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hi,

Happy to clarify.

The Discovery Sport with Cruise Control includes several standard features to improve vehicle safety. I will provide details of the features included in this.

Forward Alert
Forward alert can be enabled/disabled via the Driving Features in the Instrument panel menu and the instrument panel will display when Forward alert is enabled.
Forward alert provides limited detection and warning of objects close ahead while the vehicle is moving forwards. If a vehicle or object ahead is within the user defined sensitivity area, a warning tone will sound and the FORWARD ALERT message will be displayed in the Message centre. At this stage Emergency Brake Assist (EBA) will be activated.

Advance Emergency Brake Assist
Advanced emergency brake assist is available at speeds above approximately 7 km/h (5 mph) and will function even if Forward alert and ACC are switched off. It improves braking response during emergency braking, when a moving vehicle is detected close ahead.
If the risk of collision increases after the FORWARD ALERT warning is displayed, Advanced emergency brake assist is activated.
The brakes are automatically applied gently in preparation for rapid braking (this may be noticeable). If the brake pedal is then pressed quickly, full braking is implemented, even if only light pressure is applied to the pedal.

Intelligent Emergency Braking
When Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) is fitted, Intelligent Emergency Braking (IEB) is available at all speeds and will function even if ACC and Forward alert are switched off. The purpose of IEB is to reduce the impact speed with a slower vehicle ahead when a collision becomes unavoidable.
If an imminent risk of a collision occurs, an audible warning is given. If a collision becomes unavoidable, IEB will apply the brakes at up to maximum pressure. After IEB has activated, IEB System Was Activated is displayed in the Message centre and the system is inhibited from further operation until reset by a Dealer/Authorised Repairer.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Pete

·
Registered
796 Posts
So no ACC = No IEB ?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Pete,

I think most of us on here have been supplied with a vehicle which specifically has "Autonomous Emergency Braking" listed as a feature, and the handbook supplied with the car describes said feature.

The intention, according to the handbook, is "to mitigate the severity, and in some instances avoid a rear-end collision".

Further, it goes on to say "... If avoiding action is not taken and a collision is not avoidable, the brakes will automatically be applied".

Although similar, that to me is different to the 'Advance Emergency Brake Assist' you describe above, which you say applies the brakes gently in preparation for rapid braking.

So in short, AEB "automatically applies the brakes"; whereas AEBA "applies the brakes gently in preparation for rapid braking".

Is this just a renaming/rebranding exercise; or have early vehicles been fitted with a slightly different system to that advertised?

Many thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
For my HSE it appears I have Forward Alert and Advance Emergency Brake Assist but do not have Intelligent Emergency Braking.

I thought i had the latter as well, so its a good job i did not try to see it was there,

I have also checked my configuration breakdown and I do not have IEB now i know what it is.

·
Registered
149 Posts
OK, confusion completed here now.

I thought I´d bought a car that automatically hits the brakes should it get in fear about its nose. If I look into the brochure it also lets me believe that and also the Euro NCAP summary and report clearly state 'autonomous' braking as standard.
http://www.euroncap.com/en/results/land-rover/discovery-sport/7873
http://euroncap.blob.core.windows.net/media/4669/euroncap_land_rover_discovery_sport_2014_5stars.pdf

As this feature is not an option I assume that it comes equipped as standard, even without ACC which is vaporware up to the moment.

So, what will I get in November when my car finally arrives?

·
Registered
796 Posts
AEB = Autonomous Emergency Braking ... I have it ticked in the settings menu on my DS ... it is described as such in the manual that came with my DS ... I assume I have Autonomous Emergency Braking ... am I correct in my assumption. ???

·
Registered
62 Posts
Pete,

I think you have confused the situation even more, let me explain referencing the brochure and handbook:

Page 39 of my brochure lists Emergency Brake assist is standard - I would compare this to your description of the new function called 'Advance Emergency Brake Assist' that is not listed in the brochure nor the handbook

Page 44 of my brochure lists Autonomous Emergency Braking - again I would compare this to you new function called Intelligent Emergency Braking. - I have a menu function where I can turn on 'AEB'. Also for clarity the Dictionary definition of Autonomous - "having the freedom to act independently."

Forward Alert - I cannot find reference to this in the brochure although I can turn it on in my car however the active symbol does not appear on my dash as denoted on page 119 of my user handbook

Page 119 of the user manual clearly states under AEB 'the brakes will automatically be applied', this is referenced under the 'braking section of the handbook and not under the ACC section

So from the above can you describe (only using the abbreviations in the brochure & handbook, and not the new ones that I can find no reference to) the following:

1) Exactly what we have
2) What Euroncap think the cars are fitted with as standard
3) What the car that they tested had fitted in their video titled 'Euro NCAP AEB Test of Land Rover Discovery Sport 2014'?

Thank you

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
How right you are geonic.

Actually, reading the text in the German e-catalogue (page 55 Notfall-Bremsassistent (EBA)) I would say that it is pretty clear that the system is intended to activate the brakes and avoid a collision completely or, at least, minimise the effects of a collision.

My order confirmation states that I'm getting the feature EBA even though there is no adaptive cruise control.

What am I getting? Certainly not a whole lot of confidence in the systems whatever they are.

In my humble opinion there are just too many anomalies with the DS systems and it seems that LR don't have things under control. At least that's the message I'm getting.

Surely its high time that they got their ship in order before something really serious happens. After all not all DS owners read this forum and probably believe, as we do, that they've got soemthing which they now seem they don't.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Pete,

This is a whole can of worms!!

Brake Assist - system fitted to many cars for years that boosts brake pressurs to ensure the shortest possible braking distance when the car detects the driver is making some kind of emergency stop. Fitted to my car - great news but not special.

I bought my car assuming that it had some kind of braking system that brakes the car itself - so do NCAP and they have included that as part of their assessment? Whilst sometimes members of forums great excited over little things, this is F***ing serious! I consider myself (don't we all) an attentive driver but we are distracted by things like passengers, radio, views out of the window and I had expected that the AEB would provide me with a safety net in an emergency situation, just like having ABS or tracion control, when our rationally thought out actions often turn to panic when one faces a crash or similar.

The forward alert (green triangle?) has never come on in my car at any time. I have two cameras fitted in the car and my TOPIX print says Autonomous Emergency Braking so expect the car to self brake. If you are now saying that AEB is nothing more than Brake Assist and you don't get the automatic braking until you have ACC (not even possible in UK) then you seriously need to recall ALL handbooks and tell all owners. Otherwise I sugeest standby for the first lawsuit based on the fact a driver of a DS who rear ends the car infront and who didn't react expecting the car to do the work.

Farce! Fact!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just to Assist

This is what Euroncap think we have in relation to Autonomous Braking

Autonomous Braking Autonomous Emergency Braking, City and Inter-Urban (Auto-Brake and Forward Collision Warning) system - Standard

Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Tire Car

Attachments

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Absolutely agree BFGDSMan. This feature is one of the reasons I decided to change from FL2 after a good friend was involved in a serious multi-vehicle pile up but her vehicle reconised the danger and slammed the brakes on for her.
Now I getting it or what?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Pete,

A very simple question that requires a Yes or No answer.

Will my standard UK HSE spec car do this
in an emergency and apply the brakes without any input from me, or will it do what my other cars will and smash in the back if I do not apply the brakes?

Take your time and get the answer right. If the answer is NO then good luck informing all owners and their insurance companies.

No I am not happy before you ask!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Exactly Chippy911, the description on page 55 of the german brochure makes me believe that all DS models have this feature as it is NOT described as optional. And this clearly describes a car that is capable of applying the brakes on its own and do a considerable reduction to speed.

And as BFGDSMan says, Brake Assist is indeed old hat from like 15 years ago where cars recognized a sudden lift of the foot off the gas pedal and 'hardened' the brake pedal in order to not lose time until full pressure on the brake pedal is applied.

I really like your phrase 'can o f worms' for this ;)

1 - 20 of 103 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.