Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I know there have been several posts and threads regarding the topic of AEB (Autonomous Emergency Braking) and I wanted to take a moment to try to clear up any confusion regarding the system.

AEB (Autonomous Emergency Braking)

The AEB system uses a forward facing stereo camera which detects imminent collision threats and is able to generate an autonomous braking intervention to mitigate collisions.

The system operates between 5 kph (3mph) and 80 kph (50 mph)

For speeds greater then 35kph (21mph), before the braking intervention, the system triggers an audible and visual alert. This warning is triggered immediately before the AEB activates.

The system is designed to brake only for forward vehicle to vehicle rear-end collisions. This is to minimise the event of any false activations during normal operation of the vehicle. The system is sophisticated enough to distinguish only vehicles and is not designed with the intent to function with other objects.

The AEB system does not operate on tight corners (due to camera field of view) and is designed to recognize direct forward collision with the rear of another vehicle and does not operate for limited overlap between the host and the target where the driver is able to take action to steer away from any potential overlap.

The system is a driving aid and provides an additional safety feature, however it remains the drivers responsibility to be in control of the vehicle at all times.

During an AEB intervention you will receive the following messages displayed:
5 kph (3mph) to 35kph (21mph): "AEB is active" during the intervention and then "AEB was activated" afterwards
35kph (21mph) to 80 kph (50 mph): "Forward Alert" message + red icon before the intervention and for the full duration of the intervention, then "AEB was activated" afterwards

The system can be turned off in the menu, however will revert back on at the next key cycle.

FA (Forward Alert) - Requires ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control)

FA is only available with ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) as it uses the radar to operate. FA is intended to alert the driver to a situation where the current level of deceleration of the vehicle is not considered sufficient in relation to the vehicle in front.

The sensitivity area of FA alert can be changed by the driver, this setting will be remembered at each ignition cycle.

FCW (Forward Collision Warning) - Standard with AEB (Autonomous Emergency Braking)

FCW (Forward Collision Warning) is a standard feature on all AEB equipped vehicles. This system uses the forward facing stereo camera. This is however also referred to as Forward Alert on the menu system and utilises the same warning lamp as Forward Alert. This system will remain active at speeds between 35kph (21mph) to 80 kph (50 mph).

Please Note
This is an emergency system intended as a driving aid and designed to take action only when a collision is not avoidable by any other means by the driver, therefore is not expected to be experienced in normal driving conditions.

I hope this has clarified and answered many of the points that have been raised. I would like to also assure you that following the concerns that have been raised on here, we have continued to carry out extensive testing on the system to ensure that it is operating as intended.

Many thanks,
Pete

·
Registered
226 Posts
Thanks for that post Pete.

In your "happy to clarify" post here, http://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1002
... the only reference to automatic brake application by the car (other than gently preparing for rapid braking) was a system referred to as "intelligent Emergency Braking", which you state requires ACC.

As no UK discos had ACC, the implication was that there was no auto-braking. This clarification post alarmed many people on the forum.

I note now in the above "clear up any confusion" post, there is no reference made to "Intelligent Emergency Braking".

Can you please confirm that your intial response was incorrect, or at the least imcomplete, in implying that there was no auto-braking on UK spec cars, as it stated auto-braking was only possible with ACC fitted.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Does the software for the stereo cameras on the early vehicles need an update ?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tangey said:

In your "happy to clarify" post here, http://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1002
... the only reference to automatic brake application by the car (other than gently preparing for rapid braking) was a system referred to as "intelligent Emergency Braking", which you state requires ACC.

As no UK discos had ACC, the implication was that there was no auto-braking. This clarification post alarmed many people on the forum.

I note now in the above "clear up any confusion" post, there is no reference made to "Intelligent Emergency Braking".

Can you please confirm that your intial response was incorrect, or at the least imcomplete, in implying that there was no auto-braking on UK spec cars, as it stated auto-braking was only possible with ACC fitted.
Hi tangey,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, Pete is currently away from the office on annual leave.

The previous post you refer to is in reference to vehicles with ACC. As no Discovery Sport's in the UK have ACC this post is not relevant to your vehicle.

I am sorry if this was interpreted in a way the you felt your vehicle did not have AEB. Please see Pete's post above for clarification on the AEB system.

Many thanks

·
Registered
796 Posts
Thanks for the reply ... last night on my way home I had the AEB activate for the first time but worryingly not in a situation where it should have ... I have described it in the other AEB thread ... hopefully it puts the brake lights on when it activates

·
Registered
226 Posts
tangey said:

Hi tangey,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, Pete is currently away from the office on annual leave.

The previous post you refer to is in reference to vehicles with ACC. As no Discovery Sport's in the UK have ACC this post is not relevant to your vehicle.

I am sorry if this was interpreted in a way the you felt your vehicle did not have AEB. Please see Pete's post above for clarification on the AEB system.

Many thanks
Thanks for the quick response. I don't have a DS. I am investigating options.

Seems unfortunate that the intial "happy to clarify" response, the auto-braking section of which you've said is irrelevant to UK cars, was left standing unaltered or uncommented, even though many (UK) owners queried in clear terms where that answer left them, as the answer suggested it was a definitive list of safety features related to brake assistance / auto-braking. As these owners knew they did not have ACC, the answer implied they didn't have auto-braking.

It's good, as someone that has the DS on his short list, to eventually get an answer. Somewhat worrying that the answer was long in coming.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Been posted on the forum before, one of the reasons why a lot of us aren't sure as to whether the system works as nobody has had it works as shown on the video.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Pete

The following has appeared on topix:

SSM72378 - Autonomous Emergency Brake system does not operate as expected

Can you please supply further information as to what this means.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Phil,

Following the concerns and enquiries that had been raised on here, the SSM is simply an advisory note to further outline the operation of the system.

It details the same information as I have previously relayed at the start of this thread and is intended to clarify the functionality of the system.

Anyone with a subscription will be able to view the information provided within the SSM. Unfortunately I am unable to repost the content of the SSM.

Many thanks,
Pete

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.