Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Looking for advice, we purchased our first LR in April 21, a 67 plate discovery sport HSE, with black pack, pano roof etc, after much consideration and a lot of saving. It very much met our needs and came with warranty, low mileage and a dealer who bent over backwards for us.

A year and half in and the car has now required 2 major services and no less that’s 4 oil and filter changes and has just come up with yet another oil change needed after being changed on the 25th May.

Upon scouring the forums I see it is probably a model that has fallen into the category of DPF problems and the oil changes are barely getting 4,000 miles before requiring changes.

We’ve had several other issues with the car resulting in it going back to the dealership 17 times in just over a year which led to the dealer giving us a further year warranty and the car has still got another oil change available to us for free under the service package bought by the previous owner.

My question is, and forgive my ignorance, how do I understand if my model is indeed one of the ones JLR sold knowing the issues with the DPF, and secondly, do I have the same rights as the first owner if indeed we wanted to reject it and ask JLR to take it back?
We absolutely love the car and it’s functionality but the problems have been too much. The cost of not working every time I have to take the car in for the day (I’m self employed) is enough that we need a resolution, and I can’t afford to lose the £10k it has depreciated by if it was a faulty model all along and I can’t be returning the car every three months for an oil change which they say would normally cost £320.

Would really appreciate your advice or input as I’ve booked a time to call the business manager of the dealership on Monday.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Should add that previous oil changes were blamed on the classic ‘Driving style’ which I contested as my journeys are motorways on a daily basis and some off roading for my job. Otherwise normal school run which is a 12 mile trip so not massively short.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Doesn't matter if your the first or the second owner etc. It will still come under the Goods Not Fit For Purpose' section of consumer rights. Remember, your 'contract' is with the dealer first and JLR second. There is a whole section on the forum (use the search) regarding oil dilution and rejrction of car

Reactions: CazzaN

·
Registered
407 Posts
I wonder. If, as you say, the car does a decent amount of motorway work, then it really shouldn't be suffering from oil dilution. I understand the computer is claiming it needs an oil change, but is that actually correct? It's only a computer and they aren't always right and whilst dealers will say it does, in truth, they have no more of a clue than anyone else. I'd be getting an oil sample tested and find our for sure (it's easy and relatively cheap to do). Is it just bad software or an actual mechanical problem? What did they change later on? Would a new DPF solve it for example (warranty)?

On the other 2 services, what were these for? I thought the car had 2 year service intervals so, frequent oil changes aside, why did it need 2 major services?

As for rejection, theoretically you probably have a case, but it really depends on how likely the dealer is to play ball. Otherwise you may have a battle on your hands given the amount of loss you believe you (or the dealer) may have to cover, and if they dig their heels in, it could be a long drawn out process and nothing in law is ever certain.
I'd first sit down with the dealer principle, lay out your concerns, and see if a deal can be reached.

Reactions: CazzaN

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wonder. If, as you say, the car does a decent amount of motorway work, then it really shouldn't be suffering from oil dilution. I understand the computer is claiming it needs an oil change, but is that actually correct? It's only a computer and they aren't always right and whilst dealers will say it does, in truth, they have no more of a clue than anyone else. I'd be getting an oil sample tested and find our for sure (it's easy and relatively cheap to do). Is it just bad software or an actual mechanical problem? What did they change later on? Would a new DPF solve it for example (warranty)?

On the other 2 services, what were these for? I thought the car had 2 year service intervals so, frequent oil changes aside, why did it need 2 major services?

As for rejection, theoretically you probably have a case, but it really depends on how likely the dealer is to play ball. Otherwise you may have a battle on your hands given the amount of loss you believe you (or the dealer) may have to cover, and if they dig their heels in, it could be a long drawn out process and nothing in law is ever certain.
I'd first sit down with the dealer principle, lay out your concerns, and see if a deal can be reached.
so the two previous service were due to the age, but the mileage didn’t correlate with it age, I believe Covid was probably the cause here as it sat in a dealership for some time and like others wasn’t used during Covid. Being over 4 years old meant the services needed to take place but I’ve called this morning and established that this current ‘cycle’ has actually given us only 2,000 miles between oil and filter changes. Each ‘cycle’ is getting less and less and it’s very concerning.

Im now awaiting a call from the service manager but youmake good points and its not something I had considered so I will ask for them to take this into account.

I’ll have a search on here but if you are able to offer any recommendations for getting the oil checked ourselves I’d be grateful. This has been a steep learning curve so just trying to get all my ducks in row in case I have a fight on my hands.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I’ll have a search on here but if you are able to offer any recommendations for getting the oil checked ourselves I’d be grateful. This has been a steep learning curve so just trying to get all my ducks in row in case I have a fight on my hands.
You can buy an analysis kit from here (others are available)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts