Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a query regarding Ad Blue top up

Having owned my DS Sport from new for about 3 months. I now find that I have a warning that my diesel exhaust fluid is low and that I now have only 1490 miles until a refill is required. 8 litres need.

The thing is, I've only done 1750 miles in total, since I collected the car. I find it hard to believe I can only do 3250 miles, before I have to top up.

I can only guess that that the factory failed to adequately put in enough fluid, before I took receipt. Either that or I have a faulty sensor.

I'll most likely just get It topped up at LR Dealer tomorrow. Warranty Issue? I have The 5 Year service plan which includes any Ad blue. So no cost to me regardless. However I'm a little concerned.

Anyone else had this problem? See attached photo.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
The AdBlue tank needs to be topped up by the dealer as part of the PDI. There have been numerous reports of this not having been done (to save money).

Get the dealer to top it up and to tell you how much he put into the tank.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
clarnick said:
I have a query regarding Ad Blue top up

Having owned my DS Sport from new for about 3 months. I now find that I have a warning that my diesel exhaust fluid is low and that I now have only 1490 miles until a refill is required. 8 litres need.

The thing is, I've only done 1750 miles in total, since I collected the car. I find it hard to believe I can only do 3250 miles, before I have to top up.

I can only guess that that the factory failed to adequately put in enough fluid, before I took receipt. Either that or I have a faulty sensor.

I'll most likely just get It topped up at LR Dealer tomorrow. Warranty Issue? I have The 5 Year service plan which includes any Ad blue. So no cost to me regardless. However I'm a little concerned.

Anyone else had this problem? See attached photo.
Speedometer Motor vehicle Vehicle Gauge Automotive lighting

Attachments

·
Banned
1,911 Posts
Chippy said:
The AdBlue tank needs to be topped up by the dealer as part of the PDI. There have been numerous reports of this not having been done (to save money)
As was mentioned on another thread this week, very little is done by any dealer of any marque when it comes to a PDI. Apart from a quick wash.

As Chippys advice, get the dealer to sort it and give you something for your trouble...even if it's just an umbrella. Given the margins and rebates that they are getting on this particular model, it's the very least that they can do for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi don't post very often but read every day could I just clear something up ad blue top up is not part of the pdi!!! Please if you have access to Topix check the pdi sheet you will find it in the documents section while you are there check bulletins/ssms and you will find an ssm telling dealers not to top up ad blue on pdi the document dosnt explain why we shouldn't . Also if we didn't carry out the pdi your car would not be drivable ie. Limited to 30mph only able to lock unlock drivers door by use of emergency key. No radio, sat nav, telematics hevac etc.

·
Banned
1,911 Posts
Discofixer, thank you for your post confirming that you are not only a technician working for a JLR Franchise, but also being honest enough to admit what is clearly PDI failings/circumventing of check sheets .

This is not aimed at you per se, but less than 14 days after taking delivery from a (now defunct) branch of Stratstone in Berkshire back in 2012 of a brand new, freshly registered FL2, only to have to return it a week later to be told "you need a litre of engine oil Sir, it will cost £16+vat" makes me wonder what else you technicians are told NOT to bother checking with on PDI.

As you will note from the cynicism displayed on this forum towards dealerships, particularly concerning minor issues that should NOT have been there on collection of a brand new (supposedly) vehicle at considerable financial outlay, whilst remaining anonymous to the rest of us, is there anything else that you would like to warn us against before ordering one of these expensive vehicles? As Tesco would say, every little helps....

TIA...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi the engine oil on your fl2 should have been topped up at pdi and certainly should have been foc a week later. The add blu is a mystery as we were topping up then told to stop. We think it may be because the car needs to to do a few miles for range soft ware to sort itself out as the level measurement is not a float system like a fuel tank but a microwave system. So if you top it up yourself take care not to overfill it!

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Hi Discofixer,

Thanks for your input explaining the situation regarding topping up of the AdBlue tank. It's certainly news to me that the dealers no longer do this as a part of the PDI.

·
Registered
2 Posts
515 miles defective adblu warning came up without the usual top up warning beforehand. RAC said top which done with 10ltrs or correct spec. warning remained and Lancaster now saying overfilled with incorrect fluid andthey have to drain, flush and reset for £252. can you overfill this tank???? - there is no gauge. Still have canister which is correct spec and only Lancaster have filled before.

·
Registered
298 Posts
DC7744 said:
515 miles defective adblu warning came up without the usual top up warning beforehand. RAC said top which done with 10ltrs or correct spec. warning remained and Lancaster now saying overfilled with incorrect fluid andthey have to drain, flush and reset for £252. can you overfill this tank???? - there is no gauge. Still have canister which is correct spec and only Lancaster have filled before.
I doubt that this particular message is very meaningful in terms of composition of the ADblu. It can only be based on the sensor detecting the presence of fluid within the low to high level range in the tank or on some other system finding that injection of the fluid is not having the expected effect on emissions sensors. Given that the Adblu came from a known source it is far more likely that one or other sensors is faulty or there is a glitch in the software itself. The wording of the message is a fairly typical obfuscation of a fault to shift responsibility back to the owner.

Personally I would drive the car for 500 miles to see if it corrects itself when the level drops but of course the car might not let you do that.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
DC7744 said:
Have you tried doing a search on overfilling AdBlue? I seem to recall it being a problem with other members quite some while ago.

G

·
The sensor uses microwave technology, rather than a traditional resistance wire float like in the fuel tanks of old - it probably has a working range so over filling may be giving a false reading due to close proximity to sensor , or worst case the sensor is in contact with the fluid. You may be able to remove some fluid through the filler tube with a syringe and tubing (in the same manner that people take oil samples via the dipstick tube) - perhaps remove a litre and see if things improve. 'Incorrect Adblue' is also indicative of the NOx sensors before and after the DPF ageing/drifting and going out of sync.

If Adblue has been stored in areas where its subject to sunlight (eg through a garage window) , or long time on a shop shelf, then it could be aged fluid

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have adblue message alert on my car

It show Me I can make 850 kilometers range (about 500 miles)

I Don't Know how much Adblue I must put on my car ?
10l will be ok ??

Or maybe less ?

Help me please

·
Registered
532 Posts
At 500miles warning you can easily put a 10litre container of AdBlu in without problem. fill up and drive for 15mins or so and it will recognise that the adblu tank is full and the message should go away automatically.

This is what I have done. You should not overfill the tank as it can cause problems. I always wait until I get the 1,000 mile warning then fill up with 10litres and have never had issues with doing it this way.

Your only issue is to do this as soon as you can. Once the adblu runs out completely, the vehicle will not start again until its refilled.

Good Luck

BB

1 - 15 of 15 Posts