Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the Active Drive fitted as standard, linked to model chosen or a cost option as it is with Evoque?
E-brochure is not helpful.

·
Registered
71 Posts
...in Austria it is an extra for EUR 1.500,-- and also dynamic/magneride for the same price for the 5-seater only

·
Registered
100 Posts
Tomt said:
Its standard on all UK spec's
I thought UK spec was permanent 4 wheel drive. Is 'active driveline' the ability to switch between 2WD and 4WD?
I don't think the website and videos are clear - maybe I'm being dense...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Charles said:
Discovery sport is not permanent 4wd. It changes as required and dependent on terrain response selected.
Thanks Charles. I learn something new about the car every day! If only I had the real thing to play with!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just seen this JLR marketing info:
"Active Driveline is available on Discovery Sport SD4 and TD4 5-seat cars. A revolutionary on-demand driveline technology, Active Driveline can intelligently switch between two- and four-wheel drive as conditions dictate, combining both the fuel-saving benefits of two-wheel-drive with the all-terrain capability of four-wheel drive. On-road agility also increases with Active Driveline".

So it looks like The 7 seat UK spec hasn't got AD, but has Efficient Driveline instead, described as:

"All Discovery Sport derivatives are available with Land Rover's Efficient Driveline four-wheel-drive system. This intelligent full-time four-wheel-drive system delivers outstanding performance and traction on all surfaces, and continuously varies the torque split front-to-rear. The latest Haldex centre coupling is now 4kg lighter, and is electronically controlled, allowing it to respond to wheel slip and driver demands far faster than a purely mechanical coupling. This provides excellent off-road capability together with enhanced agility on the road."

It's not helpful having generic information that covers multiple markets (eg ED; Wade Sensing; adaptive cruise; blind spot monitoring etc) which makes it confusing to sort out shat's available and where.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi
I wondered about the same thing and have just seen this from last Sept on LRO.

But it also gets the nine-speed ZF automatic transmission option with super-low first gear that debuted in the 2014MY Evoque, as well as Efficient Driveline - an evolution of the Evoque's Active Driveline system that continuously varies torque split through all four wheels.

Certainly on a small off road trip trying the modes the padlock symbol which I presumed indicates 2wd or 4 wd was coming on and off.

·
Registered
270 Posts
GPC said:
Hi
I wondered about the same thing and have just seen this from last Sept on LRO.

But it also gets the nine-speed ZF automatic transmission option with super-low first gear that debuted in the 2014MY Evoque, as well as Efficient Driveline - an evolution of the Evoque's Active Driveline system that continuously varies torque split through all four wheels.

Certainly on a small off road trip trying the modes the padlock symbol which I presumed indicates 2wd or 4 wd was coming on and off.
Padlock usually indicates a differential lock - in this case I expect the centre differential since AFAIK the DS does not come equipped with axle diff locks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi Ozsport

I am sure the DS does not have axle diff locks, but I did not think the Haldex had a central diff lock either, just a splitting mechanism which is why I suggested 2wd to 4 wd . Maybe the latest version 5 does have a lock? Certainly the symbol on the graphics is showing in the middle of the car rather than over the axle.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I believe the 'current' DS with the petrol engine has AD (therefore not UK) and the Ingenium engined cars will get get AD. So SD4 has ED.

·
Registered
86 Posts
In my region, Active Driveline and Adaptive Dynamics are both extra and available only with the 5 seaters. Do you believe these 2 options are very important to order? If not, it means that is always 4WD? Which I believe will result to more tear and wear on tires and more consumption correct?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just returned from a tour of Halewood with the Freel2 group! Great tour and demonstration that revealed some interesting info.
1. Ingenium engines will start to be fitted from the summer in both Evoque and DS.
2. Only petrol Discovery Sport is being built with active driveline! All Diesel models get the efficient driveline, which is the latest iteration of Haldex as fitted to Freelander including the graphic in the screen that tells how much preload is applied to the rear diff.

I will investigate further with my dealer when I go for a test drive in his manual demonstrator tomorrow ! :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
So had mine a week now and have been driving with the 4x4i screen on. When you accelerate hard or corner & accelerate the centre padlock symbol goes from open green to locked orange and the quarters of the circle display, from 1/4 to 4/4 depending on how hard you accelerate around a bend. What is this showing me is this showing that power is being sent to the rears in 25% when normally there is no power to the rear ?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We've eventually got to the truth. The above and my quick exchange with a friend at LR tells us that Active Drive is only compatible with the 5-seat floorpan with its interior spare wheel - the rear diff is that much bigger than the Haldex "Efficient" unit. Hence it gets no mention on the UK configurator since it is all 5+2. Try going onto the LR Canada website for example and you can configure either third row or AD, you cannot select both.
I saw 5 seaters being built at Halewood on Friday but all for export, only petrol powertrains were being built with Active Driveline so that explains everything.

Since 5+2 is added value for me in allowing us to carry our grandchildren and their parents in one car instead of outings in 2 cars, that means Active Drive just had to leave my wish-list :(

·
Registered
221 Posts
So this raises an interesting question. The 2 4WD systems are quite different. Variations/Iterations of the Haldex system have been used for years across a wide range of cars, including my XC60.

Question is, is LandRovers/RangeRovers much admired off-road capability, and the one that many are talking about as make the DS good for off-road work, the AD or the ED(Haldex) version. One assumes the 4WD in RR etc is the full AD version, so are the motoring journalists just assuming it is this version that is going into the DS, whereas, as it stands, not a single UK car is shipping with AD ?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Nothing wrong with "standard 4WD" or Efficient Dynamics on DS. I drove this version in serious terrain at the LR Experience and also most Iceland intro cars had 7 seats and hence standard 4WD. Active drive is interesting for fuel consumption but may not add that much in offroad situations. Other views?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have asked my dealer for an explanation on active and efficient drivelines. When I was buying my car with efficient driveline we discussed 2 & 4 wheel drive and how you could force either through the terrain response system. This is the response I received:

"With regards to your question about the driveline, the Efficient Driveline is the new updated 4 wheel drive system replacing the Active Driveline. The difference is that the Efficient is electronic instead of mechanical and switches the power between the 4 wheels much quicker than the Active Driveline. This is not a permanent 4 wheel drive system."

It would appear not to be the same system as fitted previously to the evoke.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Tomt said:
...the Efficient Driveline is the new updated 4 wheel drive system replacing the Active Driveline. The difference is that the Efficient is electronic instead of mechanical and switches the power between the 4 wheels much quicker than the Active Driveline...
Then why in my region (Canada) for a 5 seat DS is the active driveline a $1000 dollar optional extra for an inferior/old piece of equipment?

My LR rep advised to spec both the active driveline and adaptive suspension, at a $1000 each....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.