Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to replace my Sportage KX4 with the DS HSE. I've read through the forums and there has been more than a few build quality issues (in hoping that's a result of it being a new model :? )

I'm not a big car buff, I like driving and so far the Kia is the best car I've ever had (only had 4!) I've never had a 'premium' car so to speak so what the DS lacks up against a Range Rover or Audi, BMW etc isn't going to matter to me.

My main question is should I upgrade to the 20" wheels that come with Style Pack 2 or spend the £££ elsewhere on the car? I read that it stiffens the ride and makes it less smooth. Is there anything that I should definitely add? Although I do feel that at 32 I'm too old for Black wheels...

·
Registered
510 Posts
The DS HSE is the best package, as it has plenty of goodies without going over the top.

I'd recommend the Auto box as it's superb, privacy glass and spare wheel.

I also think the standard 19" wheels will give the best ride and they are the best style in IMHO (though I am biased).

The 5 year service plan was wonderful value with the 2.2 litre engine, but it makes for a harder decision with the new 2.0 litre engine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not sure what other options you are considering, but having had our DS HSE Auto since April, I'm glad I paid for the memory seats, the adaptive lights, extra USB sockets in the 2nd row and the privacy glass.

The service pack is a no brainer as XXtrail says for the 2.2.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi and welcome,

Thought I'd already posted this but doesn't seem to have worked. First thing - You're never too old. :lol:

My understanding is the bigger wheels (although they often look better) will compromise the ride. Not sure if it's something an ordinary mortal would notice under real world driving conditions. I just kept the standard wheels on mine.

Other things I did go for that you may want to consider:
Auto box. Love it.
Privacy Glass. Changes the look of the vehicle imo.
Mud Flaps and Mats. Helps keep it a bit cleaner.
Skinny Spare. Depend on your attitude to the sealant stuff.
Heated Steering Wheel. The cold weather will tell if it was worth it.
Service pack was an easy choice for the 2.2 engine. Maybe not so much so with the new Ingeniums.

Have fun deciding. ( This was my first ever NEW car so chosing options was an adventure for me)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you to all of you.

I have gone with the Automatic transmission, traffic sign recognition, heated steering wheel, privacy glass and roof.

Does the USB IN 2nd row replace anything already there?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
have now changed style pack 2 to style pack 1. Lost the 20" wheels in place of the 19" ones and it has automatically added the gimmicks of illuminated treadplates and configurable fairy lights!

i think i'm all set now, unless anybody else has any more advice that i should heed?

Oh, i've also gone for the grey colour

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Eyeball119 said:
have now changed style pack 2 to style pack 1. Lost the 20" wheels in place of the 19" ones and it has automatically added the gimmicks of illuminated treadplates and configurable fairy lights!

i think i'm all set now, unless anybody else has any more advice that i should heed?

Oh, i've also gone for the grey colour
Certainly wouldn't pay for illuminated treadplates or configurable mood lighting, save some money or order other accessories.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Agree with phinn on the treadplates and mood lights unless your drive a lot at night, i also agree with a previous poster about ride quality, my 20" wheels look great but do ride more harshly than the 18" on a loan car i had.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Eyeball119,

I'm 41 and I've ordered black wheels on mine! Now I'm concerned I'm having a mid-life crisis! There again, only 9 years ago I wasn't worried about anything like getting old.

I'd agree with those that have suggested privacy glass. It has been great for my two children on my Beemer. No faffing about with stick-on blinds, those weird net things stuck over the top of the door, etc. It always seems to let them go to sleep easier in the day or night. Plus, I think it gives the car a bit more of attitude.

My personal opinion of the service pack is that it did seem better value on the 2.2. However, as I've posted elsewhere, LR have confirmed it includes free AdBlue top-ups out of service sequence of the Ingenium engine. In addition, it will give you an edge when you come to sell it in the future if it still has time/mileage left on the plan. I think it is good value at £499. But, then again with my 8 year old BMW costing £1000+ every time I have had it serviced in the past three years anything would seem like a bargain.

I would also go for the extra USB's in the 2nd row. As we all seem to need them more and more these days with all the electrical stuff we can't seem to survive without. Especially my children. They don't replace anything. They are just either side of the 12v socket that is already there.

I wouldn't necessary go for the InControl Plus Pack, even though I have(!), as it debatable whether it is of good value. I'm not even sure if I'm going to use the WiFi hotspot. But, I'm interested to see how InControl Apps performs and I'm willing to be a guinea pig for it. I'm pretty sure it is going to be a bit rubbish compared with Apple CarPlay or Google Android Auto. We shall see.

·
Registered
533 Posts
philstix said:
Eyeball119,

I would also go for the extra USB's in the 2nd row. As we all seem to need them more and more these days with all the electrical stuff we can't seem to survive without. Especially my children. They don't replace anything. They are just either side of the 12v socket that is already there.
Personally, I didn't opt for the 2nd row USB's as you can utilise the 12V socket by buying a good 12v to USB adaptor and plug it in the socket. You get good quality ones with 3-4 USB ports and most importantly they are rated at 2-2.5Amps each port for faster iPad charging.

Something like: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OZ5OIFE/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=18EZ214UIB2E2&coliid=I2U9WH97G82PL5&psc=1

·
Registered
502 Posts
BobbyBox,

You're right it is the much cheaper option, and better with the faster charging, I have an aftermarket multi-USB charger in my car at work. It just seems to clutter up the car, with it stuffed between the centre console and the front passenger seat, along with all the wires for my two phones, Sat Nav, iPad, etc. The two ports just seem a bit neater. Although, I'm sure my two girls will do their best to make the second row a tip.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.