Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I had a very weird experience. After driving for 80 miles, I tried to pass another car, the transmission downshifted, but then i experience a sudden loss of power for 3-5 seconds and I noticed the D symbol on a dashboard was blinking. After those 5 seconds everything was back to normal and I continued driving for another 120 miles. The car doesn't display any messages and it feels perfectly fine. Anyone has any idea what might have happened? The car is 2018 gas 237hp with automatic transmission and has 9500 miles.

·
Registered
426 Posts
snowmanx95 said:
This morning I had a very weird experience. After driving for 80 miles, I tried to pass another car, the transmission downshifted, but then i experience a sudden loss of power for 3-5 seconds and I noticed the D symbol on a dashboard was blinking. After those 5 seconds everything was back to normal and I continued driving for another 120 miles. The car doesn't display any messages and it feels perfectly fine. Anyone has any idea what might have happened? The car is 2018 gas 237hp with automatic transmission and has 9500 miles.
Hi Snowmanx95

Thank you for your post.

if I can assist in any way at all then please do not hesitate to contact me via PM with your vehicle details, and personal contact details.

Thanks

Dan - Land Rover UK

·
Super Moderator
7,158 Posts
snowmanx95 said:
Pop it into the dealer and see if there are any fault codes , there was a topix issued for blinking D light.
They will be able to check for any updates and fault codes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the dealer hasn't found any codes in the transmission. Everything looks perfect. Lets hope this was just a random accident which won't repeat in the future ....

·
Registered
10 Posts
snowmanx95 said:
I had something similar with an older 2015 hse with the 2.2engine whilst going up the A1. Frit the crap out of me as it appeared the engine had cut out at 70 mph in the middle lane.
I rejected the car for something else but mentioned this event and the sales bloke said it was a broken wire in the headlining ( which I find hard to believe) anyways now having argument about my present motor

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting. Well, I drove almost 2k miles since this accident and everything looks normal - in fact the transmission is fairly well behaved and responsive. Hope the whole thing won't repeat :).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I experienced exactly the same issue yesterday : I was driving on the French motorway and trying to overpass, when I suddenly had a loss of power for a few seconds and the D symbol blinking. It happens again 30 min later when I was trying to overpass a truck. Did you had any explanation of what it could be ?
Thanks !

·
Registered
7 Posts
This happened to me today, (driving a discovery sport, 2018, 27k milage) just driving and this morning decided to accelerate quickly from 10 to 30mph to over take when all of a sudden there was no power, then 15mins later the power dropped in reverse gear for a moment, then again in the afternoon while accelerating from 10 to 20mph. Three times in one day, thought it may be the dpf so went on motor way to regenerate, seems a little better, but not sure. Out of warranty, not sure if roadside assistance will help

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had same experience on my Evoque 2015' with 70,000 miles. Same weird noise when it downshifts, sudden loss of power for 3-5 seconds and D symbol on a dashboard is blinking. After these seconds is back to normal. Took it on dealer ship but they could not find any error on diagnostic. Seems I am not the only one and Land Rover should take responsibility and replace transmission box if it is faulty by the factory.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had same experience on my Evoque 2015' with 70,000 miles. Same weird noise when it downshifts, sudden loss of power for 3-5 seconds and D symbol on a dashboard is blinking. After these seconds is back to normal. Took it on dealer ship but they could not find any error on diagnostic. Seems I am not the only one and Land Rover should take responsibility and replace transmission box if it is faulty by the factory.
Yes seemed to have figured it out, thank God, the main battery needs recharging (when not driven daily) as the battery powers multiple parts of the car) it is not a fault*, halfords confirmed this, so drove car for 45mins to "recharge" it is better, did it the next day repeated it as well, sympotoms resolved. Love my car

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes seemed to have figured it out, thank God, the main battery needs recharging (when not driven daily) as the battery powers multiple parts of the car) it is not a fault*, halfords confirmed this, so drove car for 45mins to "recharge" it is better, did it the next day repeated it as well, sympotoms resolved. Love my car
I see. But if it had not enough battery, it would appear a low battery indicator on the control box, no? On my case, I drive the car on a daily basis. A battery replacement could be a solution maybe?

·
Registered
7 Posts
After researching felt it must be a battery issue, so booked a battery inspection. No indicator came up on my dash, only when halfords did a battery inspection they hooked up a diagnostic device and found it was in need of charging..I do drive my car pretty much every day, just the one week family got unwell we were house bound the battery seems to lost have lost its charge.

·
Registered
7 Posts
After reseraching felt it must be a battery issue, so booked a battery inspection. No indicator came up on my dash, only when halfords did a battery inspection they hooked up a diagnostic device and found it was in need of charging..I do drive my car pretty much every day, just the one week family got unwell we were house bound the battery seems to lost have lost its charge.

·
Registered
7 Posts
(realised it was a battery issue when the power went on just my steering wheel voluum control button, someone on another post mentioned that random odd things start losing power when there is a battery issue) The noise when the gear changes disappeared after the battery charged up, the lag in acceleration disappeared 90% the first day of "charging it up" the second day acceleration was back to lovely full throttle, it was not a transmission issue thank God

·
Registered
3 Posts
(realised it was a battery issue when the power went on just my steering wheel voluum control button, someone on another post mentioned that random odd things start losing power when there is a battery issue) The noise when the gear changes disappeared after the battery charged up, the lag in acceleration disappeared 90% the first day of "charging it up" the second day acceleration was back to lovely full throttle, it was not a transmission issue thank God
Replaced the battery yesterday (costed $250) but it happened again today. :( So, it should be something else...Till now I have tried the following:

1. Change of Transmission fluid
2. Reset of ECU / Gear
3. Change of battery

Problem remains.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
My problem seems to go after charging the battery up with a 15mile drive, then the next day the stuttering seems to be back when start engine up on morning, was considering replacing battery but not anymore, thank you AlexDino for the update. Halford reckons not a battery issue, but it could need a software update to help manage power distribition from the battery...

·
Registered
7 Posts
The stuttering (which felt like fuel injection issue) dissapeared after driving the car a few times on dual carriage way & adding diesel engine cleaner (halfords one shot type, rather than the monthly type)... God bless my car

1 - 18 of 18 Posts