Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
what a whinger, he knew there was a semi conductor shortage which has caused massive disruption leading to lead times of over a year for some models. he says he was in management at land rover factory so should know they outsource most of their parts supply. should have got a run around until his car arrived or not got rid of his until he had a build date...

Reactions: Canuk

·
Administrator
2016 DS HSE Auto Gas/petrol
705 Posts
As an older person I hate when someone uses the age or pensioner card. But I could not read the whole article as I have ad block LOL.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No way I'd wait a year for a new car

Reactions: County

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 'normal' wait of 3 months is bad enough lol

·
Registered
499 Posts
The 'normal' wait of 3 months is bad enough lol
Yes, but it's definitely not normal out there. Due to the mess JLR are in, nearly new vehicles cost more than new ones, and depending on the spec you were after may also come without significant features you really wanted.

If you're ordering a new car, there's no value in the 2nd hand market right now. When things balance out again, the poor spec cars being produced now will take a double hit of depreciation as they will look bad against full spec cars with 'nice' things like the interactive driver display instead of shonky 'analogue' dials.

I see now they've removed the Discovery Sport configurator too... so it's a pre-configure build or go do one. I think Dacia currently provide you with more options.

JLR have seriously screwed their supply chain up. They seem to be in a far worse position than most other manufacturers.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes, but it's definitely not normal out there. Due to the mess JLR are in, nearly new vehicles cost more than new ones, and depending on the spec you were after may also come without significant features you really wanted.

If you're ordering a new car, there's no value in the 2nd hand market right now. When things balance out again, the poor spec cars being produced now will take a double hit of depreciation as they will look bad against full spec cars with 'nice' things like the interactive driver display instead of shonky 'analogue' dials.

I see now they've removed the Discovery Sport configurator too... so it's a pre-configure build or go do one. I think Dacia currently provide you with more options.

JLR have seriously screwed their supply chain up. They seem to be in a far worse position than most other manufacturers.
It's not just land rover, my wife's puma has a 7 month wait, my neighbours macan s is only worth a couple of grand less than he paid for it and it's nearly 3 yes old, his replacement, a Volvo has a 6 month wait. It's a global problem but JLR seem a bit longer than most.
From what I understand the Koreans seem to be able to source the semi conductors without too much problem, probably because they manufacture their own?

·
Administrator
2016 DS HSE Auto Gas/petrol
705 Posts
Local dealers in my area B.C. have almost no new stock on hand and dealers giving bonus for trade-ins. Hyundai and Kia (same owner) do have availability for most models including electric models.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Also, BMW, Audi, Volvo aren't 'deleting' key features just so they can either claim they are still shipping some cars, or making what was standard only available on new top of the range models and then crowing about how they've increased the profitability per vehicle. If only I actually wanted a BMW, Audi or Volvo...

·
Registered
329 Posts
Also, BMW, Audi, Volvo aren't 'deleting' key features just so they can either claim they are still shipping some cars, or making what was standard only available on new top of the range models and then crowing about how they've increased the profitability per vehicle. If only I actually wanted a BMW, Audi or Volvo...
That’s not true at all, I was looking at a BMW 330e in April 2021 before ordering my DS and they had already removed Harman Kardon, gesture tailgate release and wireless charging from the possible extras. It looks from this article that other previously possible options have also been removed now. The HK, gesture boot release and wireless charging were however still available on the top end 340i models…

·
Registered
404 Posts
My neighbour just took delivery of her new VW Golf GTi - Delivery was initially 4 months, then it became 6 months (then the dealer stopped updating the customer!) and it eventually arrived after a year.
Nobody's fault; parts shortages, specially chips, so LR is not alone!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts