Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After covering 5200 miles, the DS is holding up well, no major problems, it's a nice place to sit and enjoyable to drive.
The DS is a good looking car on the outside, being slightly longer than the Evoque its looks well balanced and sits well on the road.
On the inside however you don't seem to get a lot for your money when you compare it to the Evoque. Knowing that Land Rover put the DS under the wing of the Discovery brand, they say it's more leisure and utility, not so much luxury, simple things like a CD/DVD player missing, If you pay a couple of grand or so they will fit one, shame really, used to like getting the tunnel to France and watch a movie while crossing, bits of polished metal to finish off fittings, non fitted but all extra to buy, if you like matt black plastic, this is the car for you, the type of plastic that likes to show your fingerprints when you touch it, or press a button. You have to be so careful with keys and everything else that might mark the plastic. I won't go on about the sat nav, we all know its rubbish. One of my big dislikes was the fact that the back seats won't fold flat, i.e., flat like in the Freelander 2 l had. The reason they won't so they say is because of the silly sliding mechanism to allow for the 3rd row of seats.
Annoying point on the centre screen is the fact you cannot see it very well when the sun is shining. The screen is the wrong angle, even with the pan roof closed; the sun coming through the front windscreen will still make it hard to see, you also need to get a one inch finger extension to reach the dam screen. Air con, well thats all over the place but mainly directly in your face, again bad design.
By the way while on the point of bad design, the rear clips for the seat belts, would like to meet the guy who went to his boss and said he was up all night designing these. (Idiot)
My Car has six usb points, why don't they put the passenger point in the front shelf, not in centre console, bloody cables everywhere when charging phones.
So on a final note, do l like the car, well l love the look of it. Will l keep the car, No chance, would have my Freelander back any time or may be move up to range rover sport.
Shame really, it drive well, it comfortable, but too many bad points for me to consider keeping,
Regards
Tony

·
Registered
829 Posts
Sounds like you will like the RR Evoque XL

·
Registered
677 Posts
I found that if I lift the seat belt buckle up then put the seat belt in and let the belt buckle slide down it stays put, but they ain't great I'll give you that.

I think it's a £50 option to have the USB point in the shelf.

Air con works the same as all other LRs I've had

The infotainment screen, I agree there.

As with you I like the car but not enough to take another, and if the rest of the range follows the same principles I will be my 7th and last LR.

·
Registered
381 Posts
This car could have been very good but LR have "spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar" by not delivering a vehicle to customers expectations and then not responding with authority to our concerns.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discoloz said:
This car could have been very good but LR have "spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar" by not delivering a vehicle to customers expectations and then not responding with authority to our concerns.
I'm getting the feeling this is becoming a marketing initiative nightmare. Want the real deal then buy a Range Rover (RRS, Evoque etc). Want a cheaper solution then go with Discovery.

Problem they've got is that a Discovery option is not cheap.

They should have pitched DS against the likes of Hyundai Santa Fe etc IMO, thus leaving room to pitch the Evoque XL against Audi Q5, BMW X5, Merc M Class, Volvo XC90 etc.

If that's their attitude then the Disco D5 is going to be a hard sell IMO.

·
Registered
677 Posts
They've made the Discovery Sport too much like the Range Rover Evoque, so much for a clear distinction between the ranges.

I look at my DS and wonder where the £40k went. It's strange because I don't dislike it but I don't want to rush out and drive it either. I've had it since March and it's just broke 1,200mls.

·
Super Moderator
2,833 Posts
Reading comments here I'm getting very worried :shock:

Expecting delivery September and have a mate with a Q5 (ex rrrsport owner like me) just dying to say I told you so :oops:

I liked DS on test drive but hated Evoque loaner instantly I had for a month - really hope I don't regret this :?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Muddywheels said:
Reading comments here I'm getting very worried :shock:

Expecting delivery September and have a mate with a Q5 (ex rrrsport owner like me) just dying to say I told you so :oops:

I liked DS on test drive but hated Evoque loaner instantly I had for a month - really hope I don't regret this :?
If that is a picture of what you are driving now, KEEP IT, do not get a DS, You will be trading down not up, this is not the car they promised, Do yourself a favour. make a very large mug of tea, grab two packets of Foxes biscuits from the kids cupboard and read every single review on here, then drive your sport down the road, lean back in comfort and tap the side of the steering wheel while saying, your stopping with daddy and going no where. Enjoy what you got
regards
tony

·
Super Moderator
2,833 Posts
Already sold it :cry:

I read reviews on Web before I ordered and found this site :oops:

·
Registered
677 Posts
Ask your dealer for a longer test drive, some on here got to take the DS home over a weekend.

The DS isn't a bad car but LR could've made it so much better, they've tried to be too clever squeezing 7 seats into a car that shouldn't have them and ignoring basics like lack of seatbelt height adjustment, not providing proper clips for 3rd row seatbelt stowage, slide and recline seating that I've yet to see the point of.

·
Super Moderator
2,833 Posts
Problem is dealer wouldn't give discount so I ordered from ukcarbroker and supplying dealer is other side of country :oops:

I guess I'll also lose my deposit now too :roll:

·
Registered
677 Posts
It will be fine

There is a lot to like about the DS, looks good, holds the road well. I'm just finding it difficult coming down from the D4. If I really hated my DS it would've been gone by now.

·
Super Moderator
2,833 Posts
I'm coming down from a faultless rrsport black edition so now worried :?

·
Registered
208 Posts
DevonDisco said:
Discoloz said:
I'm getting the feeling this is becoming a marketing initiative nightmare. Want the real deal then buy a Range Rover (RRS, Evoque etc). Want a cheaper solution then go with Discovery.

Problem they've got is that a Discovery option is not cheap.

They should have pitched DS against the likes of Hyundai Santa Fe etc IMO, thus leaving room to pitch the Evoque XL against Audi Q5, BMW X5, Merc M Class, Volvo XC90 etc.

If that's their attitude then the Disco D5 is going to be a hard sell IMO.
In the UK in terms of price and configuration (7 seats Etc) you have to compare the DS to the Sante fe, in terms of the whole package the DS beats the Sante Fe, X3 and Q5. The X5, XC90 and Q7 is in a different class these need to be compared to the RRS.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I have had my car two months and have done about 2000miles.

I have been very lucky to have had some really top end 4x4 vehicles ove the last few years and my DS follows some orignal X5's, Merc ML's (164 type), FL2's and RRE's. I have also had extensive access to BMW, Skoda, Mercedes and Ford new cars as daily drivers over the last few years. My thoughts:

Thumbs up for:

Engine (refined and smooth power delivery)
Gearbox (very smooth shift changes)
Interior Space (especially in 5 seat mode)
Visibility (but definately need the rear view camera for reverse parking to take the guess work out)
Quality of standard 11 speaker stereo
Simplicity of use for the middle and rear seats
Headroom
Tows an 1850kg caravan very well

Downsides:

Does not feel premium (well HSE atleast)
Plastic interior trim sctratches very easily
Lots of ill fitting and all too readily moveable interior trim
Tried to make simple things over complicated (such as the climate control)
No CD player

Faults so far:

Rattle from B pillar trim around the drivers side
Top shelf below passenger airbag wobbles
Tailgate close button in tailgate keeps falling out
Centre console wobbles
Rear view camera does not align towbar to trailer when hooking up

What JLR need to address soonest:

Why am I forced to have a glass panoromic roof to superheat my car? (blind has not been opened since day 3)
Why am I forced to have 7 seats?
Towbar design needs to look integrated and not bolted on
Quality and feel of trim (visit Skoda or Kia for a starter for 10, then move to the Audi garage)
Navigation System (start with BMW professional for inspiration)
Make the steering wheel electrically adjustable and link to the memory seats package and to key fob (BMW X5 2001 had this feature and so does any with memory package)

Key options equipment that should be available on the car in all markets:

More powerful 230 to 250 PS 4 cyl engine and big 300PS V6 diesel (drive an X35d and it is outstandingly fast and fun (barking))
Full adaptive LED headlights (come on JLR I can get them on an Astra, look to Mercedes for how to do it)
Adaptive suspension
Head up display
Blind spot warning system
Infra red camera for night vision
Massage/comfort seats
Adaptive cruise control
Self parking with a trailer (aka VW Passat)
CD player (I am not a techno ludite but last time I looked this format was still alive and kicking)

My daily driver is a 2003 Ford Mondeo (65K miles and I am the 3rd owner). It still has no squeeks or rattles, nothing moves that shouldn't when tugged and pushed, and apart from the hard boot plastic far more resistant to scratching. We also have a 2008 Merc SLK which whilst the design is slightly dated loooks and feels more premium than the DS.

So, you are probably reading this thinking why did you buy the car. Well I like to fly the British flag out here in Germany, but it is a bit difficult when my German friends neighbours look strangly at bog standard xenon lights or flex bits of plastic in the car. In all honesty it feels as premium as a Kia Sportage (which is an excellent car in many respects but has no pretentions of being a premium product). I bought the car becasue it is heavy enough to tow my caravan and has lots of space but I do feel short changed. JLR should be ashamed that they offer the SE in UK, SE Tech should be basic spec (auto lights, wiper, front fog lights etc are not luxuries any more).

Another final thought: many mock the taste of Kahn, Overfinch and others but they make big bucks out of plush/bespoke interiors, body kits and big wheels - JLR you should be capturing this market with some kind of individual programme (think Mercedes Designo).

Would I recommend it - yes but think carefully if you need 7 seats or the towing power, there is much competition out there that is far better built and have more toys for those who want them.

·
Registered
95 Posts
@BFGDSMan : Good thoughts and advice!
I took a quick look at the new Hyundai Tucson today and was slightly shocked :)
Oops. starts at nearly half the price and looks damn good.
But hey, the Germans aren't cheap either.
To be honest though, once you add a diesel, 4WD and automatic the price does go up considerably on the Tucson.

Martin

·
Registered
89 Posts
Like the OP I've complete just over 5000 miles. Has it been trouble free driving in a word no. Its been back for repair twice already, had one flat battery which thankfully happened at home and I have another visit planned at the end of the month. This I hope will be the last to fix the outstanding campaigns and knocking from the front end until normal servicing intervals kick in.
None have been massive issues but combined it just unfortunately shows LRs lack of final quality checks and control. Surely, Even though a new model, LR with all their years of experience would select better plastics and know how to check that the DS has been put together right. Maybe why their looking at building JLRs in Austria and/or China.
Do I still love the DS, Yes. It is a great looking car, good engine and auto box and is just great to drive. Has plenty of room for the now older family and i still catch myself just looking at! Sad I know.
I did take a risk buying an early build, mine was built November 14 and in the first 500! Friends and colleagues told me what to expect given there issues with the D3. So I knew what I'd signed up for.
The dealer has been great, sorted what needed repaired and looked after me with excellent comms that has helped to forgive the DS for its initial little issues. I still look forwards to driving it each day and have no regrets in buying it. I'm sure that LR have been continually updating processes and quality at the factory, so as the new MY16 versions start to get through there will be less and less issues reported. Will I be keeping my one , yes for the next three years at least. :)

·
Registered
677 Posts
SVO is Land Rovers in house tuning division.

Nobody was forced to take the 7 seats

Spec up an SE Tech prevents the need to take a pano roof

Interior quality is the best I've had so far, my Evoque fell way short for it to be a Range Rover, allegedly. The DS interior is designed to be harder waring "premium but not precious" is how LR describe it.

Electric steering wheel adjustment and massage seats :lol: that's what Range Rovers are for, the luxury arm of the brand.

LED lights, yes. They are now an option on the Evoque so should be on the DS, after all they previewed on the Discovery Vision concept.

I would like the 4 corner cross linked air suspension as per the big Disco.

The DS is far from perfect but I would take it over any of the German efforts. Though I may be tempted away if offered a new XC90, I do like these new volvos.

Perhaps the Evoque XL would suit you.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm 4500 miles in now and overall pleased with the DS, like the engine and gearbox and the way it tows the caravan.
Yes there are niggles and oversights where improvements can be made but if you were just handed it "green" without any prior knowledge or pre conceptions I think most would be accepting.

What amazes me most while folks whinge about plastics, creaks and no outdated CD player is the very important point that never gets a mention, maybe because it's summer and the weather is ok, maybe because most DS's will be confined to Tarmac for all of their lives.
You own a Land Rover. A good deal of the money you paid has gone in to extremely capable engineering features you will probably never use, don't lose sight of the fact this thing takes some beating when off the black stuff. A lot less moaning I think come winter if we get a good dump of snow or 2 foot of water to wade through and it gets you out the sh1t.
After you have done the complimentary off road course in the DS you may be a bit more appreciative of what's under your bum and what it can do, if not then the BMW 3 series is a also a great car.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.