Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Can anyone here comment on how ride quality is affected by wheel choice on the DS, and whether any of it's capabilities (off-road etc.) are compromised? I am spec'ing an HSE and am considering the 511s.

Cheers

·
Registered
829 Posts
For offroad obviously nobody would recommend 20". In all other situations 20" is fine as the ride quality, noise levels etc are exceptional. Much better than on my existing Evoque that's for sure. I will find a set of Alligator rim protectors in the right colour to keep the wheels in great condition. 245/45/20 is also not excessive both in terms of width and also height of the tyre

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
KaikouraDiscoSport said:
I will find a set of Alligator rim protectors in the right colour to keep the wheels in great condition.
Have you used these before?, I was looking at Rimblades and RimPro-tec at the Autosport show in January and was wondering if these are any good.

·
Registered
677 Posts
The car I test drove had the 20s and I couldn't really tell, the car felt very supple over the country roads I tried it on with minimal road noise.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Same for me J77

@Moose: never used any of these products before yet people seemed satisfied with Alligators and the instruction video for the 60min DIY job was clear!
I am careful but once a year still hit my tyre when parking; so far without any damage yet 20" gloss black wheels look a bit vulnerable to me (hope the tyres offer some protection...)

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I am going to give some rim protectors a go, after driving the D3 with AT or MTR on I just know I will kerb them, I just would like to find someone who has actually used rim protector as there are so many on the market and some seem better than others, but at a price.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm really not knowledgeable about cars at all. Never been into cars in the past if i'm honest.
I'd never even heard of rim protectors, but these sound like a great investment, which might also give my wife a slight security blanket with the DS alloys and help when it comes to re sale.
Which ones are you all recommending / going for? Is it something you can do yourself? i'm so not mechanical, maybe I could get LR to whack them on for me whilst they are adding accessories etc if i had them in advance. Thanks in advance for answering my stupid questions!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I spent some time at the Autosport Show in early January looking at the two suppliers there. I dare say there are other as KDS points out above, I it is easiest to google the above and have a look see, out of the two the Rimblades guys seemed the best.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Full refurbs are quite cheap these days. £75 for an acid dip, repair and respray. I'm totally ocd when it comes to wheels. My wife is always very stressed when I'm in the passenger seat!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Just back from the annual Dutch car show which was the venue to launch Alloygator with new distributors in The Netherlands. It was good to meet the global CEO, Curt Rathbone. I asked him about differences versus the competition and he explained that the main difference is that most rimprotectors are stuck on with glue film. Alloygators are fitted while the car is on a ramp, tyres deflated and the Alloygators stuck between the inside of the tyre and the alloy wheel. This way the protectors are extremely well fitted with 2.5 bar of air pressure holding them in place. When it comes to change your tyres, the Alloygators can simple be used again. They can be fitted on any wheels up and including 21"

I saw a live demo of how they are fitted and bought a set for GBP 60 on the show. I also paid an extra GBP 40 to get them fitted as you need a ramp. Well worth the money in my opinion, certainly on the more exposed 19" and 20" wheels (would hate to damage my black alloys):

http://www.alloygator.co.uk/index.asp?page_ID=23

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had 20" Wheels on my Evoque and to be honest I found I had loads of roads noise, there was very little tyre so when you went near a kirb you cuffed the alloy (I had 4 repairs done under my alloy and tyre insurance). Tyre's to replace were between £250 - £350. I stuck with the 19" on my HSE Lux DS.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
I didn't go for the black pack with mine although it looks really good, better ride on 19 inch wheels against 20 inch and less likely to kerb.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I also chose 19" on my RR Evoque but DS suspension is on a completely different level and suspension is still comfortable with 20" I found

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hopefully we'll be picking up our DS soon. We're having 20" wheels with the black pack. I've been looking at Alloygators but would like to see how they would look. Has anyone fitted alloy protectors - and if so do you have photo's?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Tollerted said:
Hopefully we'll be picking up our DS soon. We're having 20" wheels with the black pack. I've been looking at Alloygators but would like to see how they would look. Has anyone fitted alloy protectors - and if so do you have photo's?
Just had them fitted by a mobile fitter, took about an hour and he jacked it up on the drive, they are very subtle pics below:

Tire Wheel Car Motor vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Automotive tire Locking hubs

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks for the photos lotusdmc - very helpful and they look good. Getting a set now.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Thanks for the pictures; visually blends in nicely with gloss black alloys. Other colour that would work is the bright red. They also sell 2 colours of grey, one close to Corris Grey and the other more like the silver alloys

I like the fact that they:
- protect the alloy perfectly
- if damaged you use a knife to scrape them off and as the colour is also internally the same, it is restored back to perfect again
- can be taken off and refitted when you change tyres
- uses the gap between tyre and alloy to fit extremely secure and blend in nicely
- visually makes the wheels look larger

1 - 20 of 36 Posts