Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new engine service interval is 2 years/21,000 miles. The £500 service plan covers for 5 years.

I'd never do 21,000 in 2 years. So that £500 service plan would get me 2 services.

On that basis, I expect it's not a marvellous deal ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would be surprised if a single service was less than £250.

Therefore along as each service is more than £250 you would still be saving money.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could be correct. However I think any saving for me might be marginal. It's certainly not a no-brainer decision like it would be if your mileage meant you were getting a service every year.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The Ingenium engines employ Selective Catalytic Reduction which injects 'AdBlue' into the exhaust to chemically convert the NOx emissions. I've not come across any detailed explanation of how this system will operate on the new DS but it is, of course, not uncommon on other modern diesel cars. For example, VW and Merc use it and as I recall, their system is designed such that they claim that the AdBlue need only be re-filled at the service interval - and, they will supply and fill free but only for the first year of the car.

On such cars AdBlue is used at very approximately 1 litre every 5 to 600 miles. Assuming the DS is similar that equates to around 40 litres (or 9 gallons) during the 21,000 miles service interval. I don't use AdBlue but I believe the typical service station cost is about £2 per litre. So although the bulk cost at service is probably less (plus, of course labour to fill and calibrate/reset the system) this is likely to account for, say at least £40 - £50 of the cost of each service. Of course, if you top up your own AdBlue you'll lose some of that benefit!

Incidentally, I wonder where the AdBlue tank is? - if it holds up to 9 gallons, it ain't tiny!

·
Registered
677 Posts
You have to find a place that sells it first.

VW sell it via their dealer network at £1.50/ltr inc VAT and fitting.

My next car will be petrol, unless Audi can mass produce their new diesel made from water and CO2.

·
Registered
94 Posts
A man came up to me in the filling station on Monday when I was re-fuelling my DS, he asked what I thought of it as his Freelander was in for a service the following day and he was having a DS loan car. He told me that his two year service was going to cost him £411!

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
LR-Phan, you can find a very brief video on the SCR system on the JLR Media Centre. It's pretty basic.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks Chippy -
Yes I had seen this and it is, as you say, a very basic but pretty animation of the SCR process. I am familiar with the general principle behind this approach to NOx reduction which has, of course, been used for sometime on commercial diesels and more recently on some cars.

I was not intending to pass any form of judgement on its use, merely to indicate that over the course of a year's driving its cost is not insignificant and if this is absorbed within the 'service plan' cost - assuming that the AdBlue can be replenished at the 21,000 mile service, well and good and adds to its value. I haven't seen any info (though as I have the 'old' 2.2 engine I've not really looked!!) about the AdBlue tank capacity of the new DS and if the owner can self-fill or if they have to lug around gallons of the stuff between services.

Not a great issue but - not having first-hand experience of it - I believe replenishing up the AdBlue is not quite as simple as topping up your oil.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I seem to recall that the new spec released this week has the fuel tank capacity at 54 litres rather than 65 litres previously.
The addition of an 11 litre AdBlue tank? perhaps moulded into the main fuel tank so that it occupies the same space in the vehicle?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I see that the cost of the service plan for the old 2.2 and the new egine is the same over 5 years. With the new engine having a longer service interval this could imply a higher service cost. Although LR could be just pitching it at the same cost.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Given the new engine will be significantly more economical this would make sense as the car will still have the same range as the present model with 54l of fuel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts